• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

7YW 2D map folder
08-29-2018, 06:37 AM,
RE: 7YW 2D map folder
(08-29-2018, 06:10 AM)O.Schmidt Wrote: counter highlight like so?

Lobositz ! I'm playing this one with Alpha Zwo right now  Big Grin

(Sorry for the interruption...)
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2018, 09:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018, 01:05 AM by Sgt_Rock.)
(08-28-2018, 07:14 AM)Lowlander Wrote: To the administrator, if this is deemed to be premature please delete.

I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders. I DID NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL 2DSymbolsLg and 2DSymbolsSm FILES.

Result, OMG, superb, much cleaner yet more detailed.

IMPORTANT: I found out that the color for the Austrian counters was wrong. Please download the file again.

I built a new 2DSymbolsLG.bmp file for the Map folder as well. I used the Campaign Leipzig colors for the most part except for the newer gradient red color and the white color for the French.

Save your default file first that is in the Map folder - called 2DSymbolsLG.bmp. Then unzip the attached file to the Map folder.

[Image: fl8vom.png]

Attached Files
.zip   SYW_2DSymbolsLg.zip (Size: 25.25 KB / Downloads: 12)
09-02-2018, 09:51 AM,
Thanks Bill!   Thumbs Up
09-02-2018, 07:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2018, 07:23 PM by O.Schmidt.)
This is my 2dDSymbols.
.jpg   Vorschau2_7yw.jpg (Size: 488.06 KB / Downloads: 31)
Greetings, HaPe
09-03-2018, 01:06 AM,
Updated my graphics file - found out that the Austrian counter color was wrong. Please re-download if you want the correct version. I will be posting my graphics files for TSYW to the SDC eventually.
09-17-2018, 09:27 PM,
(08-29-2018, 05:48 AM)geoff Wrote: I checked REN and the division color blocks were aligned properly then. I must have mis-remembered. Yeah as for colors I actually prefer an 8bit 256 palette without pastels because of heightened contrast. Also, many volcanomod/SDC terrains use a lighter color high elevation scheme which I found looked anachronistic to modern topographic map conventions.

The issue, really, is how to come up with 26 different shades to accomplish that stratification. It isn't easy -and from where I sit, I was mainly looking not to go dark to light back to dark --- it was better to go from one to the other. If what you are saying is that you would want darker higher elevation, then that is easy enough to do. 

No idea what 'pastels' are -mind you I have seen it referred to several times in several places, so this is intended more as a general comment.   Maybe it is white balance; used that in order to provide a contrast with the units. The last thing I wanted are counters blending in to the terrain, which can happen if you don't use some white balance.

Making an adjustment in alignment for Division Colours might end up being a waste of time, if things move to something more like a colour aligned as a strip to the counter. WDS does this now, and I just took it for granted that it wasn't going to be something used in JTS developed titles. I'm not so sure that it won't now...

I do think, though, that it would be advisable to have the Napoleonics series and Musket and Pike (and anything else of remotely the same sort of scale ... essentially grand tactical) to have a little different look and feel. 

Seriously, though, for me in working with the files, the proverbial holy grail would be the ability to use 32 bit graphics. If I had some serious time on my hands, I would look at trying out some single image 3D maps for some titles.
-Disclaimer: I don't have serious time on my hands, so I won't be getting to that anytime soon, short of winning a lottery.
Send this user an email
09-18-2018, 01:16 AM,
What I meant by pastels is subdued colors without real contrast versus sharp contrasts between light green - green - dark green that you would find in a single hue 8 bit pallette. I was wrong about map conventions since technically they go from dark green base - yellow - maroon high. One real problem I have in RBR is that paths aren't discernable over farmland. So, perhaps some contrast elements in all terrain (green, yellow, brown grass) are needed and only saturation used. Which would as you say be alot easier with 32bit graphics and a higher pixel resolution per element.
09-20-2018, 09:23 PM,
(09-18-2018, 01:16 AM)geoff Wrote: What I meant by pastels is subdued colors without real contrast versus sharp contrasts between light green - green - dark green that you would find in a single hue 8 bit pallette. I was wrong about map conventions since technically they go from dark green base - yellow - maroon high. One real problem I have in RBR is that paths aren't discernable over farmland. So, perhaps some contrast elements in all terrain (green, yellow, brown grass) are needed and only saturation used. Which would as you say be alot easier with 32bit graphics and a higher pixel resolution per element.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQblh444uqJX5824iXR7Th...l3xNvUcEAr]

I don't know too many topo maps that have 26 different colors for elevation - plus I doubt I'd ever do a maroon level -but I mean 26 different elevations, and colours for each that are even marginally different is pretty tough to do.  In my mind, when working I want to try to make the road net visible in all levels (you can't really predict what levels are being used in a map - I have an Ivry [from the Renaissance] screenshot somewhere -I think maybe Waterloo is similar - looks like it is mainly tan tones -which was due to the elevation range used when the map file was built ... generally well before the graphics - looks different than the ones that hang around the green areas. 

Topo maps have different legends -I've seen some with maroon and even blues - doubt I'd ever go there ... but you never know (why say never? Now it just seems like a challenge.).

RBR: I see what you mean; I wasn't on RBR, so I had no input in that set.  Your comments did get me looking at my own, and I think I might go in and thin out some of the woods terrain for those rows that overlay where the routes go. It isn't that big of a deal with main roads, and roads, but it is with trails -so I appreciate the indirect feedback.
Send this user an email
09-21-2018, 08:04 AM,
Although maybe a better idea of what I am talking about might be a zoom out version. 

http://hist-sdc.com/napoleonic-battles/rbr_zurich.gif

I'd post a before and after image, but you can see trail paths through fields in zoom out mode as well.  I got some other graphics stuff that I need to finish up before I can worry too much about the Napoleonics series.  I guess the broad view of what I want to try out is coming up with something a little different.
Send this user an email
09-21-2018, 09:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM by geoff.)
Well, in NB's case leaving the terrain dull and using a darker segmented trail may look okay. I thought I saw your name somewhere in that home directory file dump it installs too. Maybe those are your isometric graphics?
Can't say I'm too hip on the new streamlined look in 7YW or PzC. Everything is easily discernable but, I like some grit in my maps.