• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

7YW 2D map folder
08-28-2018, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 04:21 PM by Lowlander. Edit Reason: clarifacations )
7YW 2D map folder
To the administrator, if this is deemed to be premature please delete.

I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders. I DID NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL 2DSymbolsLg and 2DSymbolsSm FILES.

Result, OMG, superb, much cleaner yet more detailed.
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2018, 08:36 AM,
RE: 7YW 2D map folder
(08-28-2018, 07:14 AM)Lowlander Wrote: To the administrator, if this is deemed to be premature please delete.

I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders.

The counter highlight is better too.

I put it on the RBR counters :

Attached Files
.bmp   2DSymbolsLg.bmp (Size: 432.05 KB / Downloads: 53)
08-28-2018, 10:13 AM,
(08-28-2018, 07:14 AM)Lowlander Wrote: I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders.

Steve and Jison have a long history of creating top-notch game graphics and based on the screen shots posted on the SYW product page, these could be arguably be their best work to date.
08-28-2018, 07:13 PM,
I do one of my franken mods but i prefer use a nap mod with bigger counters... when i have time i am going try use Volcanoman NATO counters but is a hard work because you need cut the nato symbol very well and paint all around to have same colour as background.... even in a simple copy paste counters i fail and dont center the counters very well and some of them are outside the hex  TEEHEE

[Image: 8ZPvJkh.jpg]
08-28-2018, 08:38 PM,
(08-28-2018, 07:14 AM)Lowlander Wrote: To the administrator, if this is deemed to be premature please delete.

I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders. I DID NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL 2DSymbolsLg and 2DSymbolsSm FILES.

As far as I am concerned --stock art is stock art ... so go for it.  :) I do have a couple of Napoleonic Battles' series mods using the same style. It is not exactly the same ... it is basically the style that is going to be in the series' next title, but with appropriate flags and side colours.
Send this user an email
08-28-2018, 08:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 11:14 PM by -72-.)
(08-28-2018, 10:13 AM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 07:14 AM)Lowlander Wrote: I thought I would try the map files in a nappy game so picked NRC as it has a Snow folder, because of this I used copy and paste to place these files in the correct folders.

... these could be arguably be their best work to date.

I went solo now, though... but it is always nice reading that.

http://hist-sdc.com/images/spotlights/mp...dc_mod.bmp

I do agree that I want to try something different with the unit symbols - it might take awhile to get something together. I prefer a little larger size as well -so I'll see what I can come up with.  I'll add it to the to do list for the next thing I work on in this series.
Send this user an email
08-28-2018, 08:48 PM,
I like the middle period (later HPS) themes the best. No hex slope, no pastel colors, simple nato symbol and arrow cards. REN's inset unaligned 'division' color square always annoyed me.
08-28-2018, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 11:17 PM by -72-.)
(08-28-2018, 08:48 PM)geoff Wrote: ... REN's inset unaligned 'division' color square always annoyed me.

That's going to be due to where the 'counter' is located on the bmp files - it is a trial and error thing, but I noticed that too (noticed it too late, to be honest), but I will play around with counter location on the bmp files for the next project in that series and see what I can come up with.  I suspect the NB series has to be the same way too, only in that the file was based upon the original files in the NB series - and when I got to working on the counters, not all of them were on the same Y axis - so some were a pixel higher than down the same row... one of the advantages that I have is I have gotten pretty familiar with a now no longer produced graphics program: Adobe (previously Macromedia- but I am dating things now, aren't I?) Fireworks.

You won't necessarily have to wait for that to be released prior to seeing something like that -but it sounds like a pretty good idea. 

I also want to see if I can volunteer some other, more toned down (or just different) colors -- after all, digitally-speaking all colors are hexidecimal codes anyways... can't change it in the graphics though -that part is a programming change, and it should just be switching one hexidecimal code for another one...
Send this user an email
08-29-2018, 05:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 05:52 AM by geoff.)
I checked REN and the division color blocks were aligned properly then. I must have mis-remembered. Yeah as for colors I actually prefer an 8bit 256 palette without pastels because of heightened contrast. Also, many volcanomod/SDC terrains use a lighter color high elevation scheme which I found looked anachronistic to modern topographic map conventions.
08-29-2018, 06:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 06:15 AM by O.Schmidt.)

.jpg   Pice1.jpg (Size: 301.24 KB / Downloads: 40) counter highlight like so?
Greetings, HaPe