• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS The Seven Years War Released
08-27-2018, 08:02 AM,
RE: JTS The Seven Years War Released
(08-27-2018, 04:56 AM)Xaver Wrote: No, thank you to read my ravings  LOL

Ummm i cant enter in facebook to see the 3D image (i dont use it, i never was on this social "tools") but i notice somebody is doing 3D soldiers for game, if you are SDC in matrix forums you know what i want say.

In the UI improvements... if you are working in a new M&P title (another first day buy) is possible at same time work in improvements for SYW, until we see something official maybe we can see a mod.

I remember in REN see 3D released later but is true that i dont remember now if patch come or not with a new .exe.

Saddly i cant say more about that mod for 1776 because i learn about it after was removed.

Well, i have more time today and test it a little more, i really like the solution you find for the commanders, have units out od command detach them and limit their tactical use is a simple but elegant solution but a little question, in other Tiller titles when an unit is out of command range apart appear in detached status the unit name (the one that appear in the unit box, under the portrait) change to a gold-yellow colour to made players notice easy when the unit is out of command... is possible do this to in SYW??? now appear the word detached under the unit name box but is in the same white colour and unit name stay in white.

Thanks for the reply and good job done in SYW, expect we can see improvements and more M&P titles, with them and the new impulse to update other Tiller "forgoten series" next years are going to be fun.

SDC at the Matrix board is me  - I hadn't been there for years, and I guess I had a profile called that there (actually a couple that got merged) - as it happens the SDC profile was the first password that I got re-set.

Some of the changes that you are talking about above would be programming changes that I would not be able to give you anything other than an opinion on how it might be changed. When talking about letter colour, I imagine that there is a hexidecimal code that determines the colour of the writing you see.  It should be possible to change it to any other code.  On the other hand that is just a general programming observation on my part - I have never seen the code for any of these titles and am not a programmer  (I have done some in the past, enough to know what is what and where things go ... not really the same thing).

If that is something that you want to see, it is probably best to contact Rich at the support email address on the John Tiller Software site.  The same for any UI changes you thing would be good. Generally speaking someone in my role isn't going to be able to guarantee any are changed, we can ask, but it asking is not always having it happen. Where I currently am at is at an earlier stage than where I would be worried too much about that sort of thing -yet.

What I will be doing is working with combat modelling , OOB's , and things like that. As far as mods go - what I had done in the past is take an OOB, change some things around (like unit and leader names), not change weapon names for when there are something different - and then put them in to a map.  Actually I have done that already.  I'm sure I'll do more in the future too.  The Musket and Pike engine is a lot more versatile than people might think.

For example I had some combined pike/shot unit ... I know that this isn't entirely new in the series, but I was looking at ones with different ratios of pikemen and shooters (and made some heavy use of the modifiers to account for this) ... since it was awhile ago, I can't say more about this -as it is something that I set aside while working on Gary's project.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2018, 07:19 PM,
Well, simple comment about anything rellated with a game in this forum baecause is practically the "official" forum, maybe i am more into PzB and WDS because the team post here and suggestion-questions are replied here like if you made them in their blog, like Sgt_Rock posting about his napoleonic projects but well, he is an orchestraman and is a team per se  Helmet Wink ... is the problem with Tiller games, to much series with to much different teams and different ways to contact or feedback them, is allways like an obstacle race or like try understand an OOB that mutate by combat reality  Big Grin2

M&P has the most versatile engine in Tiller games now, has the biggest options to customize units... you have armor, melee bonus, ability to simulate different weapons in same unit... the test you comment about pike-musket units sounds promising and i imagine or you are moving in 2nd part of XVII century or in very early XVIII century for north and cold lands (i finish some weaks ago a book about certain battle... starts in "Pol" and finish in "tava").

I dont remember was possible define a block unit as "Tercio" with this the unit has a fire ability, it was added later but i imagine is possible define different "Tercio" scales and have a "Tercio-50" with 50% musket-50% pike with more firepower or something similar, this is interesting because you can have in same title battles with armies where ratio pike-musket still favoured pike over musket... and other armies where pike practically dissapear (i remember a Blemheim mod for a nap title but you play it ala napoleonic).

Cant wait to see a new title for M&P serie because sure is going to cover something not well covered in PC wargaming (precursor of Matrix pike and musket SYW wargame is the only one i remember as dedicated PC wargame for the period).
08-28-2018, 08:34 PM,
(08-28-2018, 07:19 PM)Xaver Wrote: Well, simple comment about anything rellated with a game in this forum baecause is practically the "official" forum, maybe i am more into PzB and WDS because the team post here and suggestion-questions are replied here like if you made them in their blog, like Sgt_Rock posting about his napoleonic projects but well, he is an orchestraman and is a team per se  Helmet Wink ... is the problem with Tiller games, to much series with to much different teams and different ways to contact or feedback them, is allways like an obstacle race or like try understand an OOB that mutate by combat reality  Big Grin2

M&P has the most versatile engine in Tiller games now, has the biggest options to customize units... you have armor, melee bonus, ability to simulate different weapons in same unit... the test you comment about pike-musket units sounds promising and i imagine or you are moving in 2nd part of XVII century or in very early XVIII century for north and cold lands (i finish some weaks ago a book about certain battle... starts in "Pol" and finish in "tava").

I dont remember was possible define a block unit as "Tercio" with this the unit has a fire ability, it was added later but i imagine is possible define different "Tercio" scales and have a "Tercio-50" with 50% musket-50% pike with more firepower or something similar, this is interesting because you can have in same title battles with armies where ratio pike-musket still favoured pike over musket... and other armies where pike practically dissapear (i remember a Blemheim mod for a nap title but you play it ala napoleonic).

Cant wait to see a new title for M&P serie because sure is going to cover something not well covered in PC wargaming (precursor of Matrix pike and musket SYW wargame is the only one i remember as dedicated PC wargame for the period).

Xaver -those people do what those people do, but as far as I am concerned, there is an no comments (specific that is) about titles in progress.  I am one of those guys in this series - however, consider this - the engine is versatile enough, and the periods that can be covered are different enough -that the engine can handle it.  For example, structurally, Renaissance is very different than Seven Years War - the army structures at the time were different. the way armies fought were different.

It is possible to do what you are talking about with regards to pike/shot composition. I have done it -actually I have done it and put it out as a test scenario for REN ... don't have the link offhand but I think I posted it on the SDC blog somewhere.

You know coding units with no movement points are interesting too ... I think they were a line of skirmishers that were not really skirmishers and in terrain not easy for them to be easy overruns for horse - but I will leave that for later.

But yes, you are being heard ... not just you, and not just here.  I got some good ideas off of some conversations on GS a long time ago as well....   got some good feedback too, what little sample size that I have so far ... that the armies looked to be modelled correctly ... this from Nick Bell ... a guy who I have really come to respect as an all around wargaming and historical expert...

Anyways- I have to go get on to some conditioning stuff - I got a marathon ice hockey game coming up in a couple of months -and want to do well.
Send this user an email
01-02-2019, 12:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 12:15 AM by Laborde.)
Btw why this game doesnt have a 3d view (like all other JTS titles have)? before i buy it i didnt know that (probably i didnt read the  product page carefully, shame on me) and i am surprised tbh. Maybe it will be added with future patches?
01-02-2019, 01:21 AM,
Not all games have 3d, just sayin... but we tried on this and three artist later it still didn't get done. Have a couple of guys working on it as an ad-on, but we'll see if that get's completed.
01-02-2019, 02:15 AM,
(01-02-2019, 01:21 AM)rahamy Wrote: Not all games have 3d, just sayin... but we tried on this and three artist later it still didn't get done. Have a couple of guys working on it as an ad-on, but we'll see if that get's completed.

Thanks for the quick reply @rahamy. Sure most or all people play the JTS games on 2d (including me) but from time to time just checking 3d map motivates the one & gives a novel touch to the clashes i think. Anyway lets cherish the hope then...