• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '41 Gold
12-19-2017, 10:53 AM,
RE: Smolensk '41 Gold
(12-19-2017, 08:47 AM)Bioman Wrote: I was just looking over the campaign scenarios and the Dnepr river is located one hex too far east. This starts at hex 64, 181 and goes south. It now puts most of the Soviet forces defensive works and units on the west side of the river instead of the east side. This makes all of the campaign games at least unplayable. 

After further looking at the map from scenario 0708_01 as there are also some places where the river has been moved, fords missing and bridges added that did not exist in the original game. I am surprised that no one noticed these errors as some of them are very easy to see i.e. Russian fortifications and units on the wrong side of the river. The fords and bridges were found by comparing the old and new maps. I notice that some new hex types have been added in what used to be clear hexes.

Bioman,

Thank you. Let me check this. We sourced a new map using a combination of Minsk and Moscow ‘41.

I thought I checked all this but as the map change was late on, I may have missed this.

We will update the patch etc if necessary to correct it.

David
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2017, 06:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM by Strela.)
Ok,

As per Bioman's commentary I have looked at this and there is indeed issues with the way the Dnepr 'flows' on the new map.

The new map section in question was sourced from Minsk and was a later and much more detailed map than the original Smolensk map. That said, some items such as river directions as well as crossings were different between each game.

I have now gone back and updated the map to ensure that the Smolensk scenarios work as intended. This has meant checking and adjusting the Dnepr river in particular as well as look at the various roads and bridges. Minsk had a much more detailed road network.

I'm attaching some new maps that I'd like a few people to look at and let me know if they solve the issues.

These are the Smolensk Big.map & Smolensk.map files. PLEASE back up your originals before overwriting them with the new ones provided.

They should fix the issues that Bioman reported. Assuming that's the case, we will incorporate the new maps into the patch and full game download files.

Link to new Smolensk maps; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oV6RH2u...sp=sharing

Please feedback once reviewed.

David

PS Smolensk is the only map we updated extensively. Moscow '42 also had some work, but that filled in the missing map sections that showed in three of the corners. There was never any play or units setup in those sectors.
12-19-2017, 06:34 PM,
Well this did have me scratching my head as I have not played S41 in many years and when I viewed the map for my S41 H2H scenario I did notice that a lot of Russian units were on the west bank of the river which seemed odd and not how I remembered it, but it being soooooo long since I looked at the map and not realising the map had been altered I did not think it was an issue! Dooh !!  Whistle
12-20-2017, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2017, 09:53 AM by Bioman.)
Your new maps fix most of the problems but not all of them on the north flank of 0708-01. You are missing the ford from 33,51 to 33,52. The river there is also in the wrong place. The village at 32,50 should be in 31,51 and the ford should be from 31,51 to 32,50. There should be a ford from 25,49 to 26,49 and from 22,49 to 22,50. There is no village at 31,49 and no ford from 32,50 to 31,51. The bridge at 75,85 should be a light bridge and not a medium bridge. You are missing the medium bridge from 73,31 to 73,32. There are probably more errors but I don't have the time to find them all. 

Also all of the clear hexes have a number of horizontal lines running through them. These are in all of the games you have updated.
12-20-2017, 06:46 PM,
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

I have adjusted and checked a little further...

David
12-20-2017, 10:49 PM,
Gents:  Smoke7

These QA issues make me hesitate to download / install additional "Gold" versions. 

My JTS / HPS PzC and MS games use the Jison mods.

Will I be able to continue to use the Jison mods and have PBeM matches against players who have converted to the Gold versions?  Idea2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-20-2017, 11:03 PM,
(12-20-2017, 10:49 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents:  Smoke7

These QA issues make me hesitate to download / install additional "Gold" versions. 

My JTS / HPS PzC and MS games use the Jison mods.

Will I be able to continue to use the Jison mods and have PBeM matches against players who have converted to the Gold versions?  Idea2

Hi Kool Kat,

Let me be very clear, the QA issue here is only related to Smolensk as it's the only one that we changed the map on. I'll take full responsibility for the shortfall here as I pushed through this late change as an opportunistic chance to update the oldest map in the series. I did a cursory review but that was not enough at the time and want to thank Bioman and others for pointing out the issues quickly.

No other title will have these issues as we have essentially added scenarios and updated the graphics only. The only other changes are as per the physical code changes around disruption etc

As far as Jison's mods, yes you can use that with the Gold versions, but it has to be the version that works with the JTS releases. The old HPS versions will not work. As far as PBEM, you must be on the Gold version - the changes to disruption alone will cause an issue between older versions.

We wanted to take the opportunity with the Gold releases to end support for the HPS versions and move everyone over to the same code base.

Hope that clarifies things and assures you that you can upgrade accordingly. I'm looking to correct any identified issues as quickly as possible.

David
12-21-2017, 04:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 04:40 AM by Kool Kat.)
(12-20-2017, 11:03 PM)Strela Wrote: Hope that clarifies things and assures you that you can upgrade accordingly. I'm looking to correct any identified issues as quickly as possible.

David

Hi David:  Smoke7

Thank you for the clarification and work effort!  Smile

I will upgrade and standardize my PzC and MC game collections on the Gold version!   Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-21-2017, 11:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM by Orangeflare.)
12-22-2017, 05:30 AM,
Does not work. A message appears when you run is not a valid win32 application.