Smolensk '41 Gold
12-12-2017, 06:57 PM,
RE: Smolensk '41 Gold
Still waiting a reply hope its soon
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2017, 11:33 PM,
(12-12-2017, 04:15 PM)Strela Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 02:00 PM)larsonney Wrote: Dumb question...I’m currently playing a couple of Smolensk campaigns and got my new upgrade for the gold for my HPS  version from JTS support.

But I’m guessing I can’t use it because of my existing battles with my fellow blitz players? One of them is the campaign in turn 110...don’t want to lose that one! Thoughts?

Hi there,

The full version (which you have) will install by default into a different directory - Smolensk '41 Gold.

You can run your HPS versions and the new JTS Gold version separately.

It's too long since I looked at the HPS version and your save file may work, but I'd be cautious playing against players who have not patched. Rules such as the impact of disruption on movement rates will cause an issue.

So, do the separate install and experiment.

Just a further explanatory note for all. The patching logic for this all has been pretty convoluted due to the multiple versions available.

Essentially, the new installer - that new players or HPS upgraders gets is the full version of the game and it installs in its own Smolensk '41 Gold directory. For people upgrading from an existing JTS 2.00 installation, they have to run the patch which updates the original location of Smolensk '41 - note there is no Gold here. This is all not ideal, but we wanted to keep the patch vs full version separate and not confuse players who are use to patching.

hope that explains and helps,

David

Thanks David! You are the man...Jon
12-13-2017, 08:35 AM,
c_Question Mark  RE: Smolensk '41 Gold
First off big thank you to the JTS support people as they have just sent me free of charge the gold version along with a serial number. Really great after all this time to be still receiving such outstanding service and such a major upgrade to boot.
   Second though I was sent this advice about installing the new version which seems to conflict with whats written above so perhaps someone else could clarify.

here's a full download of the game for you and a serial number. You should uninstall your existing game before running this installation. Also, make sure you save the installer file to your hard drive first - then run the installation program - then make a backup copy for later us
12-13-2017, 08:57 AM,
Is fatigue averaged when combining units? All my games are hps but I assume the code for jts games has all been changed?
12-13-2017, 09:00 AM,
(12-13-2017, 08:35 AM)typhoon Wrote: First off big thank you to the JTS support people as they have just sent me free of charge the gold version along with a serial number. Really great after all this time to be still receiving such outstanding service and such a major upgrade to boot.
   Second though I was sent this advice about installing the new version which seems to conflict with whats written above so perhaps someone else could clarify.

here's a full download of the game for you and a serial number. You should uninstall your existing game before running this installation. Also, make sure you save the installer file to your hard drive first - then run the installation program - then make a backup copy for later us

Hi there,

Support is wrong. You can have both on your machine as they use different directories.

I’ll let Rich know.

David
12-13-2017, 09:01 AM,
(12-13-2017, 08:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Is fatigue averaged when combining units? All my games are hps but I assume the code for jts games has all been changed?

Yes, it should be. There will be other changes such as the change to disruption movement that aren’t in the HPS versions.

David
12-13-2017, 12:18 PM,
I love the look of Smolensk 41; it is great work.    

I have noticed that in the Optional Rule Dialog when Pressing the default button, the only optical rule selected is Night Fatigue.  Is that the way it is supposed to work?
12-13-2017, 12:55 PM,
(12-13-2017, 12:18 PM)Doctor Wrote: I love the look of Smolensk 41; it is great work.    

I have noticed that in the Optional Rule Dialog when Pressing the default button, the only optical rule selected is Night Fatigue.  Is that the way it is supposed to work?

No - it's a long story, but we couldn't get the defaults in.

My recommendation is the following with the additional option of either Virtual Supply Trucks or Explicit Supply based upon the scenario chosen and Delayed Disruption reporting based off player preferences;

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20502.jpg]

David
12-14-2017, 05:32 AM,
(12-13-2017, 08:35 AM)typhoon Wrote: First off big thank you to the JTS support people as they have just sent me free of charge the gold version along with a serial number. Really great after all this time to be still receiving such outstanding service and such a major upgrade to boot.

I could not put it better myself, when other game series are happy for you to grow bored of the game on your HD (which will no doubt will soon no longer be supported) and spend your hard earned cash on the new, faster and better version, JTS reward their loyal customers with a comprehensive upgrade of a title first released at the end of the 90's and don't even ask you to put your hand in your pocket. 

How many (almost) 20 year old games can you say that about?  Wink
12-19-2017, 08:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM by Bioman.)
I was just looking over the campaign scenarios and the Dnepr river is located one hex too far east. This starts at hex 64, 181 and goes south. It now puts most of the Soviet forces defensive works and units on the west side of the river instead of the east side. This makes all of the campaign games at least unplayable. 

After further looking at the map from scenario 0708_01 as there are also some places where the river has been moved, fords missing and bridges added that did not exist in the original game. I am surprised that no one noticed these errors as some of them are very easy to see i.e. Russian fortifications and units on the wrong side of the river. The fords and bridges were found by comparing the old and new maps. I notice that some new hex types have been added in what used to be clear hexes.