• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Managing the larger scenarios
08-17-2017, 06:49 AM,
RE: Managing the larger scenarios
I play the large scenarios solitaire all the time. I break them into fronts as suggested above. It makes it easier to remember what is going on. If the map gives you natural dividing lines, like rivers or forests I use them. Other times I use a high level command, like an Front or Army grouping as a mental bookmark.
I can generally do a turn or two a night, sometime more when night comes. I do wish the AI orders worked better. It takes the craziests routes to get where you want it to be.
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2017, 03:10 PM,
Well the workload doesn't get smaller from organizing how you approach the game, but maybe it won't drag you down and you can get through a turn by doing it in an organized way.

For big scenarios:
1. I start the game one the side I want to play with FoW for the other active.(I don't look on the other side until the game is finished, that would be cheating and spoil any fun)
2. I take screenshots of the map.(Turn division colors on, likely multiple shots have to be taken and they should also overlap a bit)
3. I put the screenshots together via a graphic program to form one big planning map.(The single shots have to be copied in and positioned correctly to let them join into a single picture. I use GIMP for this)
4. Now with the the game uploaded and the big planning map done I study everything, the terrain, my forces, what goals I have, what reinforcements come in so that I have clue what my strength and weaknesses are and how the terrain can help me to reach my goals).
5. After that I invent a plan to win the scenario.(Don't plan silly tiny crap but you should know where you want your divisions to move to and on which ways they should move, the later is important to make sure they cross rivers/canals one points that are good for crossing. It's a pain in the ass to run into a river and can't get over it for whatever reason)
6. If done I drawn the plan onto the map.(Here the division colors will be helpful because you can take the colors matching to each division via a tool and use that color to drawn the way of each division. Most important is to use a second or even more layers for the plan so you can switch it on/off as you need it or clear it completely to redraw a new plan or just make corrections to the current plan)
7. If done I get to the real work of conducting my turns.(Best is to work along the organization of your force, by that you simply take a break when done with an army or corps and continue later)

All this may look like more work that doing the actual turn and that is true but all you have to do each turn is to check your plan and move your forces according to it. By that you don't have to remember or even reinvent the plan every turn but can concentrate on executing it in the best possible way and that in the end saves a lot time & work.
Of course at some point(after a few days in the game) you may have to scrap the current plan and redraw a new one but with the layers you can do that easily by drawing the current positions of your forces in and after that redrawing your offensive/ defensive actions that you want to take.
08-19-2017, 10:14 PM,
One way I do it, is to read a book on the Battle I am playing, then use the original plan that the real Generals used in that battle.   It gets me into the Book and game more.
Only trouble is most of the time the Enemy doesn't seem to follow the historical version.    Wink
08-20-2017, 02:29 AM,
Besides that following another persons plan is loosing half the fun of the game.
But reading up on the battle is good but I advise to only read to the point were the battle starts, that gives you the introduction and maybe a better understanding of the situation at start & battle that is coming up.
08-20-2017, 03:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 03:27 AM by Ragnar.)
Larger and longer scearios need preparations to work and motivate well:

I suggest to study the scenario before a lot:
- objectives (easy to get, hard to get)
- enemy (advantages/disadvantages)
- your troops (adv./disadv)
- Map (roads, defensive terrain, ambushes, opportunies)

conclusion:

- as attacker: how to use my advantages and denie the enemy his advantages to gain the objectives
- as defender: how to use my advantages and denie the enemy his advantages to defend my objectives

With this you write down a plan which bataillon has to achieve which objective. (Excel is your friend here) You also can make so drawings. Sounds nerdy but helps to keep control and overview about your troops.
Of course your plan might need an adjustment in case the enemy surprises you with a counter measure.

Sounds theoretical?

Look at "Borodino 41" and "Assault on Tobruk - 1st of May, 1941". and tell my what you would do.

And about "save turns": If you play against KI it is ok to safe a turn. Against another human player it CAN lead to arguments. If you win the opponent might claim that you did "safe and reload"tactic and you might get a bad reputation. With a written battle plan a turn needs no more than a hour......so you don't need a break.

xxxxxxxxxx

Actually my advice is quite similar the one from "BigDuke66". He just described it with much more detail.
08-20-2017, 05:34 AM,
Gents: Smoke7

Screen shots? Drawing plans on a map? Excel spreadsheets? Written instructions for each battalion?  Yikes

Sounds like a busy day at the office if you ask me!  Propeller Hat

Guys, more power to you for having the time, energy and determination to use these planning methods for the larger scenarios.  Smile Works for you - great!

I've played large scenarios against opponents (e.g. Sicily Dry Feet Campaign - 172 turns) and my approach is more simplistic. 

Strategically, I ask myself what needs to be accomplished by both sides in order to win?

Tactically, I review each sector - terrain and units. I look at both offensive avenues of attacks as well as defensive lines keeping in mind my PzC Tips & Tactics!  https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=70089

Then I sit down with a cup of Joe, study my unit dispositions and execute my turn. Oh yes, and I always remember to enjoy myself! Good stuff!  Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-20-2017, 06:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 06:44 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
Cup of Joe? Is that all you have while wargaming Kool Kat
jonny Big Laugh
08-20-2017, 07:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 07:38 AM by Kool Kat.)
(08-20-2017, 06:34 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Cup of Joe? Is that all you have while wargaming Kool Kat
jonny Big Laugh

Absolutely!  Spit

Now, sometimes I'll change up and drink bottled water instead of coffee if I'm feeling adventurous!  TEEHEE

Got to keep my wits about me!  Wink
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-20-2017, 09:32 AM,
(08-20-2017, 03:18 AM)Ragnar Wrote: And about "save turns":  If you play against KI it is ok to safe a turn.  Against another human player it CAN lead to arguments. If you win the opponent might claim that you did "safe and reload"tactic and you might get a bad reputation. With a written battle plan a turn needs no more than a hour......so you don't need a break.

You can always check with your opponent if it is OK to save a turn that is part completed, I have never had an opponent expect me to finish a turn with a large number of units without the option of saving if I ran out of time and had to shut my PC down. Wink
08-22-2017, 04:56 AM,
(08-19-2017, 03:10 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Well the workload doesn't get smaller from organizing how you approach the game, but maybe it won't drag you down and you can get through a turn by doing it in an organized way.

True but using markers like terrain or organizations give you places to stop playing and then pick back up. Many times I will play a turn or two in a large scenario then get part the way though another turn. I may not pick it up for a day or two so it's helpful to have 'finished' certain areas.