• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Managing the larger scenarios
08-12-2017, 06:00 AM,
Managing the larger scenarios
Hello.  Long time lurker, first post.  I am curious if anyone has tips on managing some of the larger scenarios for the various games.  Although I have Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, Smolensk and Minsk I have never managed to play any of the larger scenarios.  More than once I have started saying to myself, "I can do this".  I never manage to get through a single turn without stopping and thinking, "how is micromanaging hundreds of units per turn fun?"  The most I have been able to do is a few dozen turns on Kursk with the Southern only map.

Anyway, I am simply curious if anyone has actually completed some of the larger games which last into the 100s of turns and how you go about managing the huge number of units.
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2017, 06:10 AM,
RE: Managing the larger scenarios
Are you playing solitaire or against a human opponent? I agree with your assessment vis-a-vis solitaire games of TOC, but really enjoy large and long games vs a human opponent. For me, the most enjoyable part of the game is driving that tank division through a whole into the unknown, but knowing its got to last for 200 more turns. Its a nice combination of tactical and strategic. Mind you, I'm no good at it, but to me it a lot of fun.
08-12-2017, 06:14 AM,
Solitaire. never played against a human opponent. I cannot imagine that anyone would have the patience to play for several hundred days in a row. I am of course probably wrong. That just seems like a long time to play a game.
08-12-2017, 08:27 AM,
Well, if you have a scenario in mind, go ahead and send it.

jtoney205 (@) rocketmail (dot) com
08-12-2017, 08:28 AM,
I should have said, I only have the WW2 stuff.
08-12-2017, 01:41 PM,
FWIW,
I break down large scenarios into sectors. When playing a turn, I manage a sector at a time. As each sector needs to co-ordinate with the others on each flank, the turn just flows along. Sometimes I can finish is one sitting. Most times I have to save, take out the trash, run to the store, or any of the more numerous commands form the household general. Then resume later.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-12-2017, 06:37 PM,
Well sometimes you have to admit to yourself that the huge scenarios are not for you! Smile

It is very common for players to start a large scenario full of excitement and anticipation only to find that they have bitten off more than they can chew and the game inevitably fizzles out, I found the best way to handle large scenarios was to build up to them by playing the smaller scenarios and then slightly bigger and so on, even then I found it a chore at times to play a turn when I had limited free time for gaming, so now I only play the huge scenarios as part of a team which means you are only responsible for a fraction of the units but get the benefit of participation. Smile
08-14-2017, 11:29 AM,
(08-12-2017, 06:14 AM)Desslok Wrote: Solitaire.  never played against a human opponent.  I cannot imagine that anyone would have the patience to play for several hundred days in a row.  I am of course probably wrong.  That just seems like a long time to play a game.
Check the top of the page under "scenarios" and you can see exactly how many play the larger scenarios; hundreds!  jonny LOL
08-15-2017, 12:44 AM,
(08-12-2017, 06:14 AM)Desslok Wrote: Solitaire.  never played against a human opponent.  I cannot imagine that anyone would have the patience to play for several hundred days in a row.  I am of course probably wrong.  That just seems like a long time to play a game.

Hey Darren: Smoke7

A good "compromise" to playing the 100+ turn scenarios is to look for the 30 - 50 turn ones.

Also I recommend playing the longer turn scenarios against opponents you have played previously AND have enjoyed the experience! Wink

Currently, I am playing the Germans in Minsk '44 "5th GTA is Committed" (44 turns) against a long time opponent! Big Grin 

Each turn is a tense, exciting, and brutal ordeal as the Russian "steamroller" offensive threatens to crush, encircle, and breakthrough my German defenses! Yikes I find myself frantically rushing units to shore up a line in one sector, pull back in another, or funnel units down escape roads in a third sector! 

Every turn you have to deal with multiple tactical challenges while planning for strategic operations - e.g. Can I spare these motorized troops from the front lines to act as a reserve? How long can I afford to keep a bridge intact before dropping it? When do reinforcements arrive? How and where do I rest my fatigued units? etc. etc.

IMO, PzC Series really shines in the longer turn scenarios and that's why I have the patience to play them! Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-15-2017, 02:26 AM,
Good to hear you are having a blast.............. Big Grin