• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WITE Campaign Game, ver 1.09
06-13-2017, 08:55 AM,
RE: WITE Campaign Game, ver 1.09
How long does it take you to play a turn? For me, as Russia or Germany, I spend at least 90 minutes per turn so I only get a turn a day if I am lucky. I am on turn 20 now.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2017, 12:04 AM,
I rarely spend 90 minutes, although some have taken that long.  I don't try to check everything every turn; the main thing I neglect is optimizing the number of units each HQ controls....some of them go pretty far beyond capacity.  However, I do a run-through each turn to make sure my line combat units are attached to a HQ within support range. 
Also, I neglect air unit attachments, or may for several turns; and don't spend a lot of time on Army and higher HQ's, although over the course of four or five turns, I've checked most of them.  It sped things up a lot when I started using the "g" key to assign individual units or stacks to the "closest" HQ.  Than can cause an HQ to be over-committed, but if they're spread generally evenly behind the lines, it can work with only a few adjustments.
06-14-2017, 11:37 AM,
Yeah, I check everything every turn; each turn I will check HQ attachments, CP count (worst is now at -5, whereas before a front was at -57), run air missions which I wish was still like the old DOS version were you could have your air staff run all the attacks if you wanted, and move up all the boys in the rear. I really should speed up or else the game will take me 3 years to play.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
06-15-2017, 10:36 AM,
[quote pid='420973' dateline='1497404248']
I'm playing at "normal" level, but also "better cv approximation"....does anyone know what that does, or which side it favors?
[/quote]
06-15-2017, 02:42 PM,
(06-15-2017, 10:36 AM)Currahee Wrote: [quote pid='420973' dateline='1497404248']
I'm playing at "normal" level, but also "better cv approximation"....does anyone know what that does, or which side it favors?

[/quote]
Hi Currahee,

Depends on the Patch, info below from the What's New PDF. I am guessing you are talking about the Alt CV, or the 1.08.00 patch. Really for multiplayer, so in an AI game, it would favor the player, less guessing.

v1.09.01

32. CV Mode will be now a game option, rather than a scenario parameter, so any of the six modes will be available for use in any scenario. “Alternate CV” means the value shown on counters will be a more accurate representation of the final CV in combat (it will show non-random, expected, value of randomly determined final CV, as usual without the impact of forts and terrain on the attacker’s CV, when outside actual combat). CV Mode also allows to decide whether artillery and support elements should have a small impact on unit CV value, or not. The modes are: a. Default: combat value of artillery elements is 0, combat value of support elements is 1, normal CV, b. Better CV Math: combat value of artillery elements is 0, combat value of support elements is 1, alternate CV, c. Art. 1, Sup. 0: combat value of artillery elements is 1, combat value of support elements is 0, normal CV, d. Art. 1, Sup. 0, Better CV Math: combat value of artillery elements is 1, combat value of support elements is 0, alternate CV, e. Art. 1, Sup. 1: combat value of artillery elements is 1, combat value of support elements is 1, normal CV, f. Art. 1, Sup. 1, Better CV Math: combat value of artillery elements is 1, combat value of support elements is 1, alternate CV.

v1.08.00

47. Added the ability to change how the CV is calculated and what base CV values are used in the editor. Under “Alternate Values A” CV of artillery elements is 1 (up from 0), and CV of “Labor” and “Support” elements is 0 (down from 1). Under “Alternate Values B” CV of artillery elements is 1 (up from 0). “Improved Calculation” means using proper math for determining the impact of morale and experience as well as leader skills to get a better approximation of unit CV in combat. Expect to see higher CV on the counters, especially the offensive CV. On the other hand the CV in combat will no longer go up as much as before, so make sure you have clear superiority when attacking. Alternate base values allow to better see the growth of intrinsic artillery and the higher proportion of fighting elements vs the logistical tail in Soviet units. The idea behind this rule is to close the gap between displayed CV and actual combat performance. Under default rules, late war Soviet units are usually perfectly safe attacking at 1:1 ratio, whereas Axis units must use 2:1 to achieve the same rate of success. The parameter (called “CV Mode”) can be set to any of the 6 combinations of default or alternate values and default or improved calculations. There is a variant of 1941 Campaign scenario with “Improved Calculation” turned on, called “1941-45 Campaign - Alt CV”. Unfortunately, “Improved Calculation” requires more computing power, and thus may slow down the game, especially when played against the AI. The suggestion is to use this scenario only for multiplayer games.

See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
06-16-2017, 02:07 AM,
Thanks Gris!  I'm in 1.09, using the "better CV approximation" switch, and after a bit of experience, there aren't too many surprises at odds during combat; but I notice the AI is also very good at choosing its battles, piles up on all the weak hexes, and launches bad-odds attacks only occasionally, so maybe it too benefits from more accurate cv comparisons, although I haven't tried a game against the AI without the switch, so have nothing to compare...
06-16-2017, 05:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM by Gris.)
(06-16-2017, 02:07 AM)Currahee Wrote: Thanks Gris!  I'm in 1.09, using the "better CV approximation" switch, and after a bit of experience, there aren't too many surprises at odds during combat; but I notice the AI is also very good at choosing its battles, piles up on all the weak hexes, and launches bad-odds attacks only occasionally, so maybe it too benefits from more accurate cv comparisons, although I haven't tried a game against the AI without the switch, so have nothing to compare...

In practical terms when it comes to CV you want to make sure you have a Detection level as close to 10 as possible. Rule 13.1. Detection Level (DL) & 13.1.1. Air Reconnaissance and Detection Level . For example;

The Axis 30th and 126th Infantry Division face the Soviet 48th Infantry Division. We have a Detection level of 6. The Soviet CV is 1-12. As the Commander we decide we need a 2:1 odds for a hasty attack. We have 22 Axis CV vs 12 Soviet CV. Too close to call.

[Image: DET6.jpg]

The Axis Commander decides to bring up the 253rd Infantry which automatically conducts recce on the 48th bringing our Detection level to 10. This give us a more accurate picture of the Soviet CV.

[Image: DET10.jpg]

With a more accurate picture of the enemy strength, a Soviet 1-5 CV, we can use the 30th infantry to attack. It has a CV of 14 (not pictured) vs a Soviet CV defender of 5. Almost a 3:1. Our Axis reconnaissance  tells us the Soviet 48th cannot hold the position against the Axis 30th.

What this means in game terms is this. If I attack at a 2:1 at a detection level of 6, I commit 3 Axis Divisions when I only really need one. The Soviet Division is not really a CV 12 on defense, the Axis thinks it is based on the best intel it has in that moment. A waste of resources and movements points and a win for the Soviets. Every delay in 1941 adds up.

You can see the Detection Level can be quite telling. As the Commander, the more timely and accurate the information (in this case, CV) the more likely you can present your men with a favorable outcome. The Steppe is unforgiving. reconnaissance  is a force multiplier that can tip the balance in any battle.

Hope this helps, see you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
06-16-2017, 07:46 AM,
Stavka for support units
I have found it very useful to lock Stavka and then build support units under it in readiness for future need.  Normally I just build them at army level when needed but then you have to wait for them to be kitted out, but by building at Stavka they are in ready reserve.

Good idea or is there a pitfall to it?
06-16-2017, 08:19 AM,
RE: Stavka for support units
(06-16-2017, 07:46 AM)Weasel Wrote: I have found it very useful to lock Stavka and then build support units under it in readiness for future need.  Normally I just build them at army level when needed but then you have to wait for them to be kitted out, but by building at Stavka they are in ready reserve.

Good idea or is there a pitfall to it?

I think it is a great idea, I also do the same thing with Military Districts. When they finish building up MTOE and experience you can transfer from Stavka or the MDs at no admin cost. Or when the MD converts to a Front, they are already up to strength.

Definitely a pro-tip.
06-17-2017, 01:41 AM,
Thanks Gris for the great analysis....I had no idea what DL was, or that it is revealed when you hover over the unit.  Great tips!