• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WITE Campaign Game, ver 1.09
06-05-2017, 11:52 AM,
WITE Campaign Game, ver 1.09
Looking at the threads, there are several who are more experienced than I, I've just finished my first long campaign as German against the Soviet AI.  Thought I'd just share a couple of "strategic" observations, since it seems it's fairly uncommon for someone to complete the entire campaign.

Until about June of '44 I though surely I'd get a major victory; I never thought I'd get a decisive victory.  Sometime between June '44 and the Spring of '45 it became clear I'd do well to hold onto a minor victory.  In the event, I dropped to 126 points by game end, resulting in a draw.  On move 250, Soviets were moving forward inexorably, but weren't within striking distance of Berlin; had just taken Budapest, Rumania and Hungary were out of the war, but Koenigsberg and other German cities were well protected.  Eventually, Ivan would have cleared the map, but when?  Maybe 1946...

The early game was fun, I could have done a lot better, but finally took Moscow and Leningrad, sometime in '42 I think....never got close to Stalingrad, but took Rostov, and launched slightly down into the Caucasus just to shake up the AI.  Couldn't take the Crimea, though.  So basically I cleared out Finland, past Moscow for maybe 50 or 100 miles, and down past Rostov.  As mid '44 approached I was feeling pretty smug.  Then things started to unravel.

The Soviet force buildup was surprisingly strong in '44, considering they'd lost their major cities.  I haven't played from the Russian side, so don't know exactly what happened, but I awoke after a few turns with huge portions of my armies surrounded/isolated.  A few very limited air supply/rescues worked, but for the most part, it was hopeless.  I lost a LOT more divisions captured and destroyed, than the Russians, and still managed to draw.  I kept feeding new units into the line, and dropping back.....sometime in early '45 I finally got the hang of reading the signals of an imminent Kessel, and began to drop back in time....this made all the difference, and allowed me to put up resistance in most places, but not before Rumania and Hungary dropped out.  Rumania's departure caught me by surprise, I read the applicable rules after it happened; should have read them before it happened!  On the bright side, my AF had a small degree of air superiority until the end. Love those late-war ME 262's! 

Based on this, I should easily beat the Soviet AI if I play it again....don't know that I will, though, the time investment was huge, I am hankering now for a human opponent.  But first I'll play against the German AI, at least a bit, as the Russian.
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 12:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 12:32 AM by Gris.)
RE: WITE Campaign Game, ver 1.09
(06-05-2017, 11:52 AM)Currahee Wrote: Looking at the threads, there are several who are more experienced than I, I've just finished my first long campaign as German against the Soviet AI.  Thought I'd just share a couple of "strategic" observations, since it seems it's fairly uncommon for someone to complete the entire campaign.

Until about June of '44 I though surely I'd get a major victory; I never thought I'd get a decisive victory.  Sometime between June '44 and the Spring of '45 it became clear I'd do well to hold onto a minor victory.  In the event, I dropped to 126 points by game end, resulting in a draw.  On move 250, Soviets were moving forward inexorably, but weren't within striking distance of Berlin; had just taken Budapest, Rumania and Hungary were out of the war, but Koenigsberg and other German cities were well protected.  Eventually, Ivan would have cleared the map, but when?  Maybe 1946...

The early game was fun, I could have done a lot better, but finally took Moscow and Leningrad, sometime in '42 I think....never got close to Stalingrad, but took Rostov, and launched slightly down into the Caucasus just to shake up the AI.  Couldn't take the Crimea, though.  So basically I cleared out Finland, past Moscow for maybe 50 or 100 miles, and down past Rostov.  As mid '44 approached I was feeling pretty smug.  Then things started to unravel.

The Soviet force buildup was surprisingly strong in '44, considering they'd lost their major cities.  I haven't played from the Russian side, so don't know exactly what happened, but I awoke after a few turns with huge portions of my armies surrounded/isolated.  A few very limited air supply/rescues worked, but for the most part, it was hopeless.  I lost a LOT more divisions captured and destroyed, than the Russians, and still managed to draw.  I kept feeding new units into the line, and dropping back.....sometime in early '45 I finally got the hang of reading the signals of an imminent Kessel, and began to drop back in time....this made all the difference, and allowed me to put up resistance in most places, but not before Rumania and Hungary dropped out.  Rumania's departure caught me by surprise, I read the applicable rules after it happened; should have read them before it happened!  On the bright side, my AF had a small degree of air superiority until the end. Love those late-war ME 262's! 

Based on this, I should easily beat the Soviet AI if I play it again....don't know that I will, though, the time investment was huge, I am hankering now for a human opponent.  But first I'll play against the German AI, at least a bit, as the Russian.

Currahee,

Great write up. my experience has been similar, in HTH also (experience gained) where your experience snowballs massively in the subsequent games. I am far better at the Soviets than the Axis because I have played them more. The Soviets in 44 become very powerful. In my experience taking a large amount of manpower centers and holding on to them as long as possible seems to work best to slow the Soviets down. I always felt like you can't stop them from taking Berlin, it is more a matter of delay. As you noted, avoiding a "Destruction of AGC" is paramount. 

I always have to go back and read the rules on campaign starts and surrenders because as you stated the game takes so long to play it is 6 months to a year sometimes before you do it again, you forget!  I started my current HTH (as Soviets) mid last year and we are in March 42 still, so I will have to go back and brush up on the swap.  Big Grin 

Like most games, HTH is quite different than the AI. I feel the top priority is finding an opponent with similar experience and play style (causal or macro player vs micro player). It is such a huge time investment as you stated. You actually have a lot of experience. I believe the same as you stated, few players complete a campaign. It seems to me most games end in 41/42 with a concession. 

For any new players wanting to give it a go, try the following "Road To" scenarios first if you want to gain experience as Axis opening moves and practice for HTH in 41/44 as Soviets. Against the Axis AI you want to set the AI to Challenging which is an unofficial default. 

For opening moves:
Road to Kiev
Road to Leningrad
Road to Minsk

Weather experience:
Operation Typhoon

Soviet Steam Roller:
Operation Bagration (Lost Battles)

If you (or anyone in the Blitz) are interested, PM your email and I have compiled a few guides to help out new Soviets players. It is a collection of things that should help get you going if you are interested.

Congratulations, completing an entire campaign is quite a task! It is very helpful to have a gauge and reference point to compare to, greatly appreciated. Well done, great post!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
06-06-2017, 12:57 AM,
Thanks Gris, I'm going to PM you my email, for those study aids!
06-06-2017, 04:56 AM,
HI; Currahee I am playing my first long campaign as Soviets, I plan on playing it through but I have bogged down on turn 16, spending more time playing (EHM:EA) and watching hockey than WitE. I have realized playing as Russian, even this short of a time, that the Russians are horribly ineffective attacking early in the war. When you have a German mobilized and panzer division surrounded for 4 turns and still they beat off the determined attacks of 12 divisions it makes me realize that I was stacking too many German units in a hex worrying about them smashing through.

Next time I try as Germany I will thin the line out more.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
06-06-2017, 06:43 AM,
(06-06-2017, 04:56 AM)Weasel Wrote: HI;  Currahee I am playing my first long campaign as Soviets, I plan on playing it through but I have bogged down on turn 16, spending more time playing (EHM:EA) and watching hockey than WitE.  I have realized playing as Russian, even this short of a time, that the Russians are horribly ineffective attacking early in the war.  When you have a German mobilized and panzer division surrounded for 4 turns and still they beat off the determined attacks of 12 divisions it makes me realize that I was stacking too many German units in a hex worrying about them smashing through.

Next time I try as Germany I will thin the line out more.

Hi Weasel,

Good point. The Soviet +1 attack helps (Rule 15.8, it's hidden in there) with a column shift for retreat. The real culprit appears to be the 41a MTOE for Soviet infantry. If you look at the morale it is usually pretty low, around 30-40, then you go to 41B for the Blizzard, around 90, which is great. After the blizzard it is back down with 41 C around 70-80. I have a tough time myself, but I still try to attack as much as I can just to eat up supplies and delay. 

I do not know all the numbers tied in with the MTOEs or the other factors involved, but that seems when the CV shifts take place. I tried to find answers in the editor, but have been unsuccessful, above my paygrade. 

Breaking down the Axis units to RGT make me nervous, but they seem to hold to my surprise most of the time.

Manager games are rough, the only one I ever played was Age of Gladiators on Steam. WITE seems allot easier to me.  Big Grin

http://store.steampowered.com/app/442500...ladiators/
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
06-06-2017, 12:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 12:36 PM by Weasel.)
Hi Gris; I have been playing EHM since 2007 so I have a real feel for the game. I started a fantasy draft as the Maple Leaf's GM in 2015, by 2017 I had won the Stanley Cup (on the back of Conner McDavid) and the year is now 2027 and I have won the cup 7 times; I have learned to ignore the assistant GM and coach who say "that is a bad trade," or "he is a key player" when he sucks and go with my gut. I have a guy now (Russian, go figure) who has great ability but puts in little effort so I only play him about 30% of the time, but my coach (Babcock) thinks the world of him and says the team will be built around him; not while I am GM.

I have played 1187 games winning 705 and drawn 143, scored 3800 goals and had 2800 scored against

As I have said to my wife, if only it was that easy in the real NHL!

Hopefully I will become so well versed in WitE one day.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
06-06-2017, 02:40 PM,
(06-06-2017, 12:29 PM)Weasel Wrote: Hi Gris;  I have been playing EHM since 2007 so I have a real feel for the game.  I started a fantasy draft as the Maple Leaf's GM in 2015, by 2017 I had won the Stanley Cup (on the back of Conner McDavid) and the year is now 2027 and I have won the cup 7 times; I have learned to ignore the assistant GM and coach who say "that is a bad trade," or "he is a key player" when he sucks and go with my gut.  I have a guy now (Russian, go figure) who has great ability but puts in little effort so I only play him about 30% of the time, but my coach (Babcock) thinks the world of him and says the team will be built around him; not while I am GM.

I have played 1187 games winning 705 and drawn 143, scored 3800 goals and had 2800 scored against

As I have said to my wife, if only it was that easy in the real NHL!

Hopefully I will become so well versed in WitE one day.

If I ever have a question on Hockey, I know who to ask! Damn that is an impressive record.
06-07-2017, 05:00 AM,
Hi Weasel,  I'm just on Soviet turn 6, and have a long learning curve ahead of me.  At this point trying to slow down the panzers is like stacking Styrofoam cups in front of a steamroller.
06-09-2017, 06:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2017, 06:02 AM by Weasel.)
I just sort of ran to the Dneper myself, mud next turn and Smolensk is still mine, as is Odessa and Leningrad. I think the Axis need a boost to be competitive, as Gris set, put the level on challenging instead of normal; what level are you on?
06-12-2017, 01:15 PM,
(06-09-2017, 06:02 AM)Weasel Wrote: I just sort of ran to the Dneper myself, mud next turn and Smolensk is still mine, as is Odessa and Leningrad.  I think the Axis need a boost to be competitive, as Gris set, put the level on challenging instead of normal; what level are you on?

I'm on normal, and turn 28 now, 12-25-41, I've been hitting it pretty hard.  I agree, the Axis needs a boost.  I'm into about the third blizzard turn, Germans made it to the gates of Leningrad and Moscow but couldn't take either, and now they're reeling.  I have huge reserves coming in, and just learned how to create new HQ units; and have consolidated most of my cav divisions into corps.  I'll keep playing on normal for a while, maybe the whole game because it's fun, but next time, Axis will go to challenging. Although they may give me a wakeup when things thaw out.