• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alternative Graphics for F'40
03-08-2017, 08:20 AM,
RE: Alternative Graphics for F'40
(03-08-2017, 12:09 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I still haven't looked, but I thought main river had an outline and streams did not.

I think the original stock art didn't have outlines on either streams or creeks. Full water hexes where they meet land would have a bank hexside graphic.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2017, 11:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017, 11:29 AM by Strela.)
(03-06-2017, 01:39 AM)Many Mariuses Wrote: Hi all,

While I have been a big fan of the graphical updates to the series, I find the palettes for F'40 (and NGP'85) to be a bit too dark. As a result, it is difficult for me to discern the difference between streams and rivers, at least when the movement filter is on. I haven't noticed this with any of the other titles. 

Anyone know of a way to brighten things up a bit? I see that the MapMod site is down, and I'm not sure it was compatable with the new 3d terrain.

My understanding is that the series is undergoing another graphical update, which will bring things in line with the graphics in K'43. Hopefully that is the case-- and hopefully this issue will disappear.  BTW, any news on how long it will take for the latest update to occur?

Hi,

The new graphics will be going beyond what we currently have in Kharkov '43 and Moscow '42. Updating the series has been slow, though 5 titles are done to date as I have been busy getting the Panzer Battles Demo ready for release.

That said, we posted some shots here in our Christmas update; http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2016/...ar-update/

We're also reworking the 3D, which has gone through a number of revisions and isn't quite ready to be shown yet.

The 2D is essentially done and you can see how the Panzer Battles unit cards are being used as well as the larger form counters;

Right click for full size
[Image: Blog-18-12.jpg]

[Image: Blog-18-13.jpg]

[Image: Blog-18-14.jpg]

[Image: Blog-18-15.jpg]

David
03-08-2017, 10:59 PM,
Hi Strela,

According to your post, the process has been completed for five titles. Are they available for download yet, and if so where? I purchased Smolensk last week and the graphics certainly don't match these screenshots.

Thanks for continuing to work on the series. At some point I will try Panzer Battles, but at this point I'm still trying to finish off Panzer Campaigns.
03-08-2017, 11:26 PM,
Oh, I just thought of a question that you might know Strela.

Why do some titles that take place in the spring or summer use the color palette used in Kharkov 42 (with lots of yellow and browns) and others, like France and Smolensk, use the darker green palette. I'm sure there's a reason, but I haven't made the connection. In case its not obvious, I find one to be much easier to use. :)

Outlaw Josey Wales-- it's been a long time. Shoot me an email and maybe we can set up a game.

Thanks for all the useful replies. I really do love the Tiller games, and my critiques are made in the interest of making the game even better!
03-09-2017, 01:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017, 01:52 AM by Strela.)
(03-08-2017, 10:59 PM)Many Mariuses Wrote: Hi Strela,

According to your post, the process has been completed for five titles. Are they available for download yet, and if so where? I purchased Smolensk last week and the graphics certainly don't match these screenshots.

Thanks for continuing to work on the series. At some point I will try Panzer Battles, but at this point I'm still trying to finish off Panzer Campaigns.

Many Mariuses,

Firstly, we ideally would like to release all titles at once rather than drip feed them out. At the very least do it by theater (East, West & Mediterranean).

I have been working on the Eastern Front as at least the graphics can be duplicated from game to game. That said many of the components have different names and lots of graphics have to be renamed. Also importantly, this will be like a reboot of the Panzer Campaign series. Not only will the original content be included but so will any add-ons and Volcano Man scenarios. For example for Smolensk, the two expansion packs and alternate scenarios from Volcano Man are part of the package - add in the new graphics and they are essentially 'complete' games. We're hopeful that it will bring in new players as the biggest bugbear is the games looking like they came from the '90s - something we believe will be fixed.

As far as the different colours between games - I'd have to have a look. All have 14 height levels starting from dark to light. France '40 in particular would have little in height changes. With the work I'm doing all games will have consistent 2D & 3D graphics and that's another reason I want to do a simultaneous release. Finally, I have used recommended cartography colours for my 14 height levels.

More to follow,

David
03-09-2017, 11:08 PM,
Just to check again, David - there will be a version available - did you say? - without those Jison type hexes? I hate them. I couldn't play with them, to be honest. Different people like different things, and I know many like them, but I also know many don't. I would hate you to reboot the series with hexes that would split opinion.

Of course, if the resolution is the same as the old series then I can swap them out for the old files. But did you say you were going to do a normal version - option 3, I think it was, when you asked about whether people liked them?

Cheers,

Peter
03-10-2017, 02:09 AM,
(03-09-2017, 11:08 PM)phoenix Wrote: Just to check again, David - there will be a version available - did you say? - without those Jison type hexes? I hate them. I couldn't play with them, to be honest. Different people like different things, and I know many like them, but I also know many don't. I would hate you to reboot the series with hexes that would split opinion.

Of course, if the resolution is the same as the old series then I can swap them out for the old files. But did you say you were going to do a normal version - option 3, I think it was, when you asked about whether people liked them?

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

I do listen to you!

A shot from the Map Directory...

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20500.png]

David
03-15-2017, 08:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017, 09:35 PM by Hadge. Edit Reason: Not JTS releases )
(03-06-2017, 01:39 AM)Many Mariuses Wrote: Hi all,

While I have been a big fan of the graphical updates to the series, I find the palettes for F'40 (and NGP'85) to be a bit too dark. As a result, it is difficult for me to discern the difference between streams and rivers, at least when the movement filter is on. I haven't noticed this with any of the other titles. 

Anyone know of a way to brighten things up a bit? I see that the MapMod site is down, and I'm not sure it was compatable with the new 3d terrain.

My understanding is that the series is undergoing another graphical update, which will bring things in line with the graphics in K'43. Hopefully that is the case-- and hopefully this issue will disappear.  BTW, any news on how long it will take for the latest update to occur?

Hi,

Try these - I was having a similar problem with F40 a few years back so made these.

If you back up your 2DHexSide50.bmp and 2DHexSide100.bmp and replace with the attached you will have pale blue streams and dark blue Major rivers and canals - the bridges have also been very slightly altered to make them stand out a bit more.

They also work with all the other mods out there (that I am aware of), and can be used with all games in the PzC series from HPS.

2D only I'm afraid ... I don't use 3D at all really

Cheers

C

Attached Files
.zip   2DHexside50-100 rivers.zip (Size: 14.29 KB / Downloads: 7)
03-15-2017, 10:57 PM,
Hadge,

Thanks, your alternative tiles work much better, and were pretty simple to install.
03-16-2017, 07:04 AM,
Thanks for sharing Hadge!

Do you have any other "goodies" that we may be interested in?   Mex Big Grin