• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WitE 2 and WitE discussion
12-01-2016, 08:59 AM,
RE: WitE 2?
(12-01-2016, 08:33 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: [Image: a%20star%20city.JPG]
I just wonder today what is a star city ?

Rule 5.1.5.General Information and City Box

A victory point location.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 09:52 AM,
RE: WitE 2 and WitE discussion
Ok, I searched the manual and google but can't find an answer. When I go into my OOB and select a sub unit I can't figure out a way to get back to the main OOB menu that shows the entire force. If I am in a sub-OOB my only option is to click on the X and close everything down and then reopen the main OOB again, is that correct?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-01-2016, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016, 10:27 AM by Gris.)
(12-01-2016, 09:52 AM)Weasel Wrote: Ok, I searched the manual and google but can't find an answer.  When I go into my OOB and select a sub unit I can't figure out a way to get back to the main OOB menu that shows the entire force.  If I am in a sub-OOB my only option is to click on the X and close everything down and then reopen the main OOB again, is that correct?

OOB? Commander's Report. Just making sure we are looking at the same thing.

What column are you clicking for the sub unit, HQ or hex location?

If you mean going from the Commander's report to the unit detail window, clicking the X to close the unit detail and it re-focuses on the map and not back to Commander's report then correct, you can not. Very frustrating. 

It is the same when you are sending air units to the national reserve. You can do a lot from the Commander's report, but it has some Captain Obvious UI issues to put it mildly. I can't answer why. Design choice or software limitation.

I wish you could select individual records. That would really help to speed turns up. Or a better search function (i.e all units with a morale of 0-20, etc Etc) I wish the menu focus worked better. It closes most menus out and forcing you to go back and start again for each function. Like sending 50 air group to the reserve. Some players just send them all because it is easier.

To my knowledge there is no work around that I have seen. If anyone does, I could use that tip. Definite game changer.

Appendix C has the info on manipulating the Commander's report.

Hope this helps.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
12-01-2016, 01:11 PM,
No I meant the OOB (tank icon) but the effects are the same, you open a sub-unit and the only way to get back is to close everything and start over. Frustrating that is. Started up Typhoon and using your turn checklist (I am trying as German), a lot more to look at, normally I would have just started moving units! But I have actually looked at my air units and switched some to night ops, like the biplane bombers!.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-01-2016, 01:20 PM,
(12-01-2016, 01:11 PM)Weasel Wrote: No I meant the OOB (tank icon) but the effects are the same, you open a sub-unit and the only way to get back is to close everything and start over.  Frustrating that is.  Started up Typhoon and using your turn checklist (I am trying as German), a lot more to look at, normally I would have just started moving units!  But I have actually looked at my air units and switched some to night ops, like the biplane bombers!.

Right on, it is annoying, goes faster with practice.
12-02-2016, 11:58 AM,
I want to thank you also. I have had the game for awhile but your stuff is great andI've not even had a chance to get through all of it.
12-02-2016, 12:53 PM,
Playing Op Typhoon, boy talk about overwhelming. The scenario brief says to encircle as much Red as you can in the first two turns, but most of the German units are frozen, GRRRR! I have never spent 90 minutes on a turn before, and I am not even finished the turn yet.
12-02-2016, 02:35 PM,
(12-02-2016, 12:53 PM)Weasel Wrote: Playing Op Typhoon, boy talk about overwhelming.  The scenario brief says to encircle as much Red as you can in the first two turns, but most of the German units are frozen, GRRRR!  I have never spent 90 minutes on a turn before, and I am not even finished the turn yet.

1st - KG_RangerBooBoo, you're welcome!

2nd - One way to do it - There is more than one! This will get you started.

[Image: Typhoon.jpg]

3rd and 4th Panzer Group pocket to Vyazma.

1. Do not attack any where else first, you will burn up your air assets. For an advance game you can use your air doctrine. For a basic start try this -

Select F6 - Bomb unit
Hold down shift and right click a target
Select the air groups, the more important, the more units (that is a thread in itself, you can also use air doctrine too)
Bomb each hex twice. You can bomb each hex twice, so it a unit retreats to a new hex, bomb him two more times. No mercy.

This will disrupt the units. Disrupted units are not used to defend in a ground attack. 2000 man unit, 1900 disrupted = 100 man unit (simple example) So in the south air attack the 2-12 armor, 1-10 inf, 2-10 inf.  This is how you attack on the steppe. After you bomb a unit, look at the battle report button and check the results to learn what works and what doesn't. 

Want more on advance air doctrine, great post here 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/370540/di...988520655/

2. Start with units in the back, (The blue Inf units). Move them forward first (you should avoid stacking 3 units to keep lanes open) and knock a three hex hole in the line. Start with Infantry, then PzG, and move you armor last. You want your armor to attack very little and not move through ZOCs. If it has too, it should ideally just be a hasty. ZOC cost movement and movement cost is the Panzer Soldats enemy. I can move 50 hexes at 1 point a piece or I can move one hex at 50 points.

3. Keep units (Corps, Armies) together and lock the ZOC. Do not get cut off.

4. Next turn Infantry clears the pocket. It will take more than one turn, but wait at least one turn. Otherwise the units will rout instead of surrender. Make sure your armor is in supply.

5. Next few turns are mud. Just hold on.

6. Attack to reach Moscow in the snow.

Super simple explanation, probably lots of questions, ask and I'll try and answer. Sometime easier than typing a book. Also if anyone has anything to add, I can use a tip or two too! Just sayin'

Remember it is Typhoon, you do not have to attack along the entire front. You really can't win the scenario, but you can learn about the effects of weather. The Soviets will crush you when the blizzard hits. Your mission is take Moscow and survive the Blizzard. 

Almost forgot.

Practice, practice, practice. Then experiment and practice more. Keep practicing till you see this: (Soviets 44)

[Image: Encirclement.jpg]

After that practice again, Hope this helps.
12-04-2016, 08:35 AM,
Hi Gris; Thanks for this. I wasn't really asking how to do it, I was just commenting on how much more time I am taking in a turn unlike before now that I have spoken with you and others who have experience in this game. Just came from the Matrix forum, some good tips there about the construction battalions.

Your plan of attack was my overall too, but I didn't even think of moving up the back guys to lead the attack, good tip!! I used the grunts in the front which created only a 10 or 20 mile gap depending on how lucky I was, so I lost a lot of MPs for the Pz.

I am looking forward to a full campaign, my plan that I want to try is use the Pz from AGC to help cut out and totally destroy the south, cutting the bottom off the map. The center will be mainly an infantry attack. Probably foolhardy but I am very keen to try it.
12-04-2016, 08:58 AM,
(12-04-2016, 08:35 AM)Weasel Wrote: Hi Gris;  Thanks for this.  I wasn't really asking how to do it, I was just commenting on how much more time I am taking in a turn unlike before now that I have spoken with you and others who have experience in this game.  Just came from the Matrix forum, some good tips there about the construction battalions.

Your plan of attack was my overall too, but I didn't even think of moving up the back guys to lead the attack, good tip!!  I used the grunts in the front which created only a 10 or 20 mile gap depending on how lucky I was, so I lost a lot of MPs for the Pz.

I am looking forward to a full campaign, my plan that I want to try is use the Pz from AGC to help cut out and totally destroy the south, cutting the bottom off the map.  The center will be mainly an infantry attack.  Probably foolhardy but I am very keen to try it.

Right on, there is always more than one way to do it and it is even more exciting in the campaign.