• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WitE 2 and WitE discussion
11-27-2016, 09:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM by Weasel.)
WitE 2 and WitE discussion
So I am sure you guys have read about them creating WitE2, what do you think?  Do you think they will change enough about it to make it worth spending another $100 for the game?  So far I have read they are including 3D graphics, which kind of makes me think of CS.  This link does not mention 3D though, so not sure about that, but all in all it seems that they are making a few tweaks. 

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php?topic=1637.0

Thoughts?  Myself, it will have to be a total revelation for me.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2016, 10:40 AM,
RE: WitE 2?
Well I'm doubtful there will be enough changes to shell out that kind of money again and even if it is a major change I'm doubtful my gaming budget could take the hit. I'm a long ways from mastering the current version so a second just doesnt appeal to me m
11-27-2016, 11:24 AM,
I was just saying to my wife that I still have no clue what I am doing (playing road to Kiev against AI, lost as Germany twice so trying as Russia). I was thinking about getting War in the Pacific but I think it is more complicated than WITE.

I agree, has to be something awesome which I don't think 2 will be.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-27-2016, 03:05 PM,
From my understanding, which is based on old info anyway, WITE2 will be more an evolution of the game based on WITW. I haven't been able to play lately due to real life issues, but even then would not be likely to do much with the new game.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-28-2016, 01:13 AM,
(11-27-2016, 11:24 AM)Weasel Wrote: I was just saying to my wife that I still have no clue what I am doing (playing road to Kiev against AI, lost as Germany twice so trying as Russia).  I was thinking about getting War in the Pacific but I think it is more complicated than WITE.

I agree, has to be something awesome which I don't think 2 will be.

Hi Weasal, 

I have both WITE and WITP. The main difference for me was WITE has week turns and WITP days (up to 3 IRC). I played a lot of Uncommon valor which is kinda of WITP lite. I could not get past the one day at a time turns in WITP. There are long stretches of time where you are just managing logistics. In addition there is nothing worse than making it to 1944 and finding out you botched any chance at victory.

I get it, some guys like it. I also think it is all they play. The time commitment IMO is large. If you have doubts, I would recommend a pass. It is not just for everyone. I personally do not recommend it due to the time investment.

As far as WITE 2 the big changes are the map and logistics being brought up to WITW standard with a final goal of connecting it all into a massive Europa game. With all the different forum post it is hard to figure out (so this may have changed since I last looked). If they add WITW air war to WITE 2 it will kill it for me. The turns will take too long to play and it is hard finding opponents for the long haul as it is now (which is a problem in any monster game/scenario, although players at the Blitz are far superior, just sayin'). I have a lot of gaming time on my hands, but I feel most players do not. Not to mention they really need to figure out a better way to maintain the manual. Relying on the player base is not the way to go IMO.

With that said.................

I would recommend playing WITE in the following scenario order. Play both sides. 

Road to Minsk (AGC learn opening moves)
Road to Leningrad (AGN opening moves)
Road to Kiev (AGS Opening moves)
Operation Typhoon (Contains all types of weather and learning the basic of Soviet Blizzard offense)
Operation Bargration (Managing the Soviet steam roller, late war units, Lost Battles DLC)

Then play a Campaign, Bitter End seems to be popular. This will cover the basics. Rinse and repeat. I have 200 hours in and I am getting a good handle on the game. It just has quite a commitment.

Also download this manual, it is easier to read than the stock manual. 

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4083700

As usual,  playing the AI vs Player is completely different. Your main issue vs a player is player knowledge (and skill). If you are causal and just move units about, and I micro all my support, air, supply  (etc etc, ) then chances are you probably won't win. I would go through those scenarios and look for another new player. Start causal and go from there if you both like. WITE is one game that really only works if the players are on the same field, IMO.

This is just my perspective. What works for me, isn't for everyone. I enjoy WITE immensely, but I agree with your sentiment, 2.0 has to be a real game changer for me to drop more money and time on it.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-28-2016, 05:48 AM,
Hi Gris; Awesome reply, thanks for that! Ok, you have made up my mind in regards to WITP that is for sure. Maybe one of the others like Carriers at War or something of that ilk.

I have the condensed rules which was great of buddy to create to help us out, but even still it is a monster to read eh. I am about a third through and can't remember what I read on page 1.

I have played ROAD TO: Minsk, Leningrad (got a minor x2), Smolensk (minor) and an expansion module Dneps.... something, big long Russian name and lost eventhough I destroyed 80 Soviet divisions. My biggest problem as Germans is fuel and the incredibly slow rail repair guys, that is why I decided to play as Russia to see how Germany AI did it.

I think it is great that the AI can kick your ass, I am not sure if that will change once I am master of the game but I hope not. Too many times AI wins by getting stupid bonuses like 200% morale bonus, better accuracy, penetration etc.

Once again, thanks for the reply!!
11-28-2016, 06:43 AM,
(11-28-2016, 05:48 AM)Weasel Wrote: Hi Gris;  Awesome reply, thanks for that!  Ok, you have made up my mind in regards to WITP that is for sure.  Maybe one of the others like Carriers at War or something of that ilk.

I have the condensed rules which was great of buddy to create to help us out, but even still it is a monster to read eh.  I am about a third through and can't remember what I read on page 1.

I have played ROAD TO:  Minsk, Leningrad (got a minor x2), Smolensk (minor) and an expansion module Dneps.... something, big long Russian name and lost eventhough I destroyed 80 Soviet divisions.  My biggest problem as Germans is fuel and the incredibly slow rail repair guys, that is why I decided to play as Russia to see how Germany AI did it.

I think it is great that the AI can kick your ass, I am not sure if that will change once I am master of the game but I hope not.  Too many times AI wins by getting stupid bonuses like 200% morale bonus, better accuracy, penetration etc.

Once again, thanks for the reply!!

Hi Weasel,

I have Carriers at War too. I liked it. It is good for a couple of plays. It's $19 at the xmas sale, should be $9 for being so old, but I'm sure you know how thats work. I do recommend that game if you like carriers battles. Here is a YouTube on it. It was published in 2007, so maybe do some research before you purchase, some of the old game don't always do well on today's rigs. I played it when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4vDfO4SZtA

The WITE rules are too massive and not helpful, Part of the time investment.  Big Grin

I would look at the scenarios more as practice. They are scored different than the campaign and you usually don't have to deal with other aspects of the game (rail, trucks, factories). I personally do not think they are balanced too well with the current rules. But they do help by breaking the campaign down in smaller bits.

The fuel and rail reflect the difficulty in the actual campaign (I'll leave that alone, that is a hot topic!). WITE more than anything else is about managing logistics. Here is one way to setup the rail on steam. As you will see from the forum, many people feel there is more than one way to do it. I say start somewhere and go from there. Also read up on supply, rail, and HQ buildup in the manual. It should help quite a bit. The Soviets are considered easier to play. Again opinion.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/370540/dis...988600735/

I have only played the AI on default to practice. I am not 100%, but I think you do ramp it up but increasing the %. Opinions vary, I say experiment with the settings yourself and see what works.

I think WITE is worth the time, I really do enjoy it, some days it is just cold and lonely out there on the steppe.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-28-2016, 01:26 PM,
Checked out CaW, $30 Cdn, I will pass. There is some place that you can buy cheap licenses for games that are legit and not used, maybe that will be an option. The video looked interesting.

Road to Kiev: I did far better stopping the Germans than they did for me, at least I was attacking Kiev, the AI Germans are not even close with two turns left.

I will take your advice on the reading, thanks.
11-28-2016, 02:32 PM,
(11-28-2016, 01:26 PM)Weasel Wrote: Checked out CaW, $30 Cdn, I will pass.  There is some place that you can buy cheap licenses for games that are legit and not used, maybe that will be an option.  The video looked interesting.

Road to Kiev:  I did far better stopping the Germans than they did for me, at least I was attacking Kiev, the AI Germans are not even close with two turns left.

I will take your advice on the reading, thanks.

Right on, glad to help!
11-29-2016, 09:37 AM,
I think it will be a good idea to make things more visual
to create a better overview of the processes in WITE
I supply lines, production, reinforcements etc..
I do not believe in 3D, just to have 3d