• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WitE 2 and WitE discussion
11-29-2016, 10:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM by Gris.)
RE: WitE 2?
(11-29-2016, 09:37 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: I think it will be a good idea to make things more visual
to create a better overview of the processes in WITE
I supply lines, production, reinforcements etc..
I do not believe in 3D, just to have 3d

Hi Fritzfarlig,

Agree, in WITE the info is there, sometimes just buried. One method I use that has helped me in learning where to find the information you listed is establishing a routine for each turn. For example, here is my Soviet turn checklist.
  • Read all reports first
    • Event Log
    • Supply phase production
    • Commander's report
    • Losses
    • Victory screen
    • Check production pool, build Units/SU based on available manpower/equipment pools
  • Toggle the following switches in Map Information
    • Toggle Enemy Hexes On/Off (e)
    • Toggle Fort Levels On/Off (f)
    • Toggle Unit moves on/off (shift-r)
    • Toggle Unis isolated, far from railhead, beachhead (shift-o)
  • Set air doctrine
  • Air group Commitment system (6-8 air groups to start to rotate out for morale build up)
  • Check air units readiness (compare to Air Doctrine), morale, and fatigue. Below # sent to reserve
  • Set up VVS Airbases to supply partisans, set Transport and Level bombers to night
  • Consider night fighters (Pe-3 Bis, Yak9-M)
  • Evac factories (Turn 3)
    • Vehicle factories (check end date)
      • BA-10 in Leningrad (Leave)
    • Type of Factory (Rail Capacity Cost per Factory Point)
      • Heavy Industry (HI) 5000 (Don’t rebuild, move piecemeal)
      • Armaments 3000  (Don’t rebuild, move piecemeal)
      • Generic Vehicles 3000  (Don’t rebuild, move piecemeal)
      • Aircraft/AFV/Combat Vehicles Build Cost x2 (21.1.7) (Move once, rest is destroyed)
  • Use all rail supply
  • Assign Hq Leaders (Start at Hicom, work down to Corps)
  • Check Support Levels
  • Check HQ ranges (CR report)
    • Units to HQ - 5 hexes/20 MP
    • HQ To Railhead 10 hexes/20 MP optimal
    • Airbases supply themselves
  • Check HQ unit capacity
  • Check MTOE Max and current
    • Arm/Motor to 75%
    • SAD AB to 50%
    • ALL others 90%
  • 30 Fatigue points = 10% CV loss
  • Refit units
  • Reserve units
  • Bring Air Units out of reserve after all airbases have moved (so you do used trucks to move them in the air bases)
  • Turn 1 SU attachments levels to get the SU out of Corps HQ before disbanding
    • Corps set to 0
    • Armies set to 5
    • MD to 0
    • Fronts to 9 (unless far in the rear, then 0)
    • Stavka to 9
  • Lock HQ when set to right SU mix
  • Construction attachment minimums when SU set to zero (construction/engineer)
    • YOU HAVE MANUALLY MOVED THESE OUT OF HQ YOU DO NOT WANT THEM IN, THEN LOCK!
      • corps: 2/2
      • army: 3/3
      • army group/front: 16/4 (that's why you lock rear area military districts and fronts)
      • high command: 0/0
  • Support Units (Basic Start)
    • In each army HQ : at least 2 Construction units
    • 2­-4 artillery (mix the types : guns, howitzers, mortars to hammer the opfor at different ranges).
    • Keep the scheme simple. When armament production is lavish, you will start having more sophisticated army support schemes (tank bns, sapper rgts, skis bns, etc).Lock.
    • In each front HQ : 1 RR construction bde, 1 PVO. Lock.
    • Set the stavka support level to 0. Support units are needed at the frontline, not in Moscow.
  • SAD Airbase to 50% Mtoe and no air units (or Disband)
  • Disband Sapper and Construction BNs
  • Do not Disband AA from Cities (huge AP cost)

So you may look at this and say wow! That is a  lot to check each turn. In the beginning, yes. After several games it becomes habit. Also this is for the beginning of the campaign game. I would not bother with all this in a scenario. 

When learning the game, checking the reports each turn and learning how to read them will give you the indicators you need to help you determine if you have enough trucks, is the enemy prepping for an offensive, etc etc.  As time goes on you begin to understand the rail system, support units, and combat. I barely use this now except when I start a new game and my process has evolved from the above. Sometimes it is like looking at the "Matrix".

I agree with you though, I wish there was button that highlighted the information on the map. Some are, like the rail and the forts. Most of it though is in the reports and under the hood. There are other things that seem so obvious but aren't there. I wish you could select by a search function individual records in the commander's report and then manipulate them. Like picking which units to send to the nation reserve when they are at a certain morale or fatigue level. 

In summary, if you look at it long enough you begin to see the information. It is there. If we only had the "Easy" button.

Hope this helps, Have a great day!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2016, 02:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 02:34 PM by Weasel.)
I did follow a tutorial when I first started, Road to Leningrad, then started reading the manual and went "oh bother" when I realized is was written by a lawyer. I remember them mentioning some of this stuff in the tutorial. Your explanation above should be cut and stickied, but I don't mod this board so I won't do it.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-29-2016, 02:54 PM,
Gris, I hope you don't mind, but as Weasel suggested, I copied the meat of your post and stickied it at the top. Any concerns let me know, but I find your summary excellent.

Thank you!
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-29-2016, 03:18 PM,
(11-29-2016, 02:32 PM)Weasel Wrote: I did follow a tutorial when I first started, Road to Leningrad, then started reading the manual and went "oh bother" when I realized is was written by a lawyer.  I remember them mentioning some of this stuff in the tutorial.  Your explanation above should be cut and stickied, but I don't mod this board so I won't do it.

Thanks Weasel!

I agree, it is hard to defend the manual. Especially after all the patches. The condensed manual helps quite a bit. I do hope when they decide to cut support on WITE they put out a final manual that is better compiled. It is no easy job editing a manual of that size, so I do appreciate the work that went into it. 

Most of the list comes from the forums at Matrix and from players here at the Blitz. I just converted the info to my own cheat sheet and posted here as an example learning aid. Of course, in WITE, there is no set formula to victory or defeat. 

WITE is an exciting game and there is something new with each pull of the trigger.

Glad this helped Weasel, Have a great day!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-29-2016, 03:22 PM,
(11-29-2016, 02:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Gris, I hope you don't mind, but as Weasel suggested, I copied the meat of your post and stickied it at the top. Any concerns let me know, but I find your summary excellent.

Thank you!
Rick

Thank you Rick, no worries, I hope it helps some of the players.
11-30-2016, 10:12 AM,
(11-29-2016, 03:22 PM)Gris Wrote:
(11-29-2016, 02:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Gris, I hope you don't mind, but as Weasel suggested, I copied the meat of your post and stickied it at the top. Any concerns let me know, but I find your summary excellent.

Thank you!
Rick

Thank you Rick, no worries, I hope it helps some of the players.

Hi Gris

thank you for the great guide, I really working to learn this game, I think it take some times to master all aspects in this game

right now I working with

how do I motorized  a rifle division  ?

How do I assign AA to a city ?

how do I evacuate industry ? 

what is exactly process in refit on ?

Ole
11-30-2016, 03:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM by Gris.)
Hi Fritzfarlig,

Here are the rules sections that cover the activities.

how do I motorized  a rifle division  ?

14.1.3. Temporary Motorization of Non-motorized Units

[Image: Motorize.jpg]

How do I assign AA to a city ?

7.4.1. Antiaircraft Support Units in Cities

Click on the city, click name in upper right, then click assign. You have to have units available at OKH or Stavka.

[Image: AA.jpg]

how do I evacuate industry ? 

This one is lengthy. Here is the rule. 

21.2.1. Soviet Factory Evacuation

Quick tip, you cannot evac factories in June of 1941. It was changed in one of patches. 

Hit F2 (rail mode) or it will not work! 
Hit shift-l (L key), this will highlight the factories. 
Then click on cities name in upper right. 
Toggle the amount you want to move
Then right click on the city you want to move it too.

The how and why of factories are deep, here is the brief from the rulebook.

Game Play Tips on evacuating factories:

1. There are two types of factories you have to consider when deciding how to evacuate. The ones that don't rebuild (HI, generic vehicle, armaments) can be moved piecemeal. The ones that build up to a build limit (aircraft, AFV, Combat vehicles) must be moved all at once, with any part left behind destroyed. The key is, for aircraft and AFV/Combat vehicle factories, you have to get at least one point evacuated or you'll lose the potential to build that factory back to the build limit. But you have to move that particular factory all at once, so there are two decisions to make; when to move it and how much to move when you do. Bottom line for aircraft and AFV/Combat vehicle factories is that if you know you are going to lose the city, if you can get at least one factory point out before it's too late, you'll eventually be able to rebuild. Note that some factories do not need to be moved due to ending production. For example, the MiG-3 factories in Moscow will be automatically removed in December 1941.

2. To maintain historical production figures the Soviet player needs to move at least half of the capacity of the factories being relocated. For example, in Leningrad there is a KV-1 factory that begins the 1941-45 campaign scenario with a size of 29. KV-1 factories have an expansion rate of one. The factory in Leningrad was historically moved in mid-August 1941, which at an expansion rate of one, should be up to a size of about 32. The only other KV-1 factory is in Chelyabinsk, which initially has a size of zero. Relocating the Leningrad KV-1 factory in mid-August 1941 will result in a sharp drop in KV-1 production as the evacuated factory cannot produce or expand until it has been repaired. In order to maintain historical output, at least half of the initial factory's capacity (16 or greater) will need to be moved from Leningrad.

what is exactly process in refit on ?

Not sure if I understand. The actual process? I might not able to answer under the hood questions.

18.3. Refit Mode

From a HQ it places all units in its command in Refit, for a unit, just that unit.

[Image: Refit%20HQ.jpg][Image: Refit.jpg]

Refit does not affect combat! It just prioritizes which unit get replacements. For example, I use it when I place new divisions in Armies attached to a military district to build up for an offensive (or defend Moscow). After they refit you can transfer them to a Front for no admin points. Or if a unit has been shattered, move it to the rear and place it in refit. Look at the turns sequence. Basically if you run out of T-34 in Refit A, no one in refit B or Normal gets T-34s. (real simple answer) 

Hope this helps.
12-01-2016, 08:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM by fritzfarlig.)
hei Gris
I can only thanks you many times for your effort to help me, and your time to do , I appreciate that, a big help
Ole
12-01-2016, 08:30 AM,
(12-01-2016, 08:26 AM)fritzfarlig Wrote: hei Gris
I can only thanks you many times for your effort to help me, and your time to do , I appreciate that, a big help
Ole

No worries , my friend, glad too.
12-01-2016, 08:33 AM,
[Image: a%20star%20city.JPG]
I just wonder today what is a star city ?