• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help with assaults
09-15-2016, 02:35 AM,
Help with assaults
Starting to play PB again. Been out for a while with other stuff. Sorry, but this is a kind of beginner post. 

Can anyone point me to a guide (or summarize briefly now?) where there is advice on how best to conduct assaults on fortified/entrenched positions. I'm playing Epsom 1, but it applies to so many other scenarios, of course. I mean, what exactly is the best way to do it, given a great mix of assets? 

So, for example, take an entrenched hex manned by PGs and AT guns. I have, say, 20 odd tanks and a Bn of infantry at my disposal, plus arty and air. What is the best way? These questions occur to me: 
1. Break down all my units or keep them at co level? 
2. Stack as many as possible in adjacent hexes - or at longest stand-off range possible, or somewhere inbetween? 
3. Mix stacks of tanks and infantry, or keep separate? 
4. Break down enemy with ranged fire (including prelim arty barrages and air attacks [the turn before, in the case of air]), or assault immediately? Do not assault until enemy units disrupted?
5. If assaulting immediately, or after disruption, assault a little at a time (tanks first in a stack, or infantry, then next counter down etc, to give as many attacks as possible) or just double click stacks and attack all at once. This question applies to ranged firing also - all at once or individual counters at a time? Or some ranged fire, some assault? 

Many more questions and options spring to mind, but that will do for now. 

Thanks for any help. 

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2016, 02:31 AM,
RE: Help with assaults
96 views and no one who can point me to an assault thread/guide? Was it a dumb question?
09-16-2016, 03:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2016, 03:47 AM by Ricky B.)
Not aware of anything recent, will take time to either write a useful reply or find something old. Not sure anything old will cover many of your questions, but maybe. I will say, for attacking, I keep units combined as much as possible - the worst morale ratings get used so having a single company get yellow fatigue, resulting in worse morale as an example, will hurt the entire assault. And fire first, generally, unless you have overwhelming strength - 3 companies against a single platoon for example. For bunkers/pillboxes, I try to isolate if possible then assault. Fire can help things too.

Traveling yesterday so just saw this today, myself.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-16-2016, 04:54 PM,
Thanks Ricky. Those points are all helpful, thanks. Don't worry about spending time on it though. I just wondered whether someone had done a guide of some sort in the past that I couldn't find by trawling through the posts. Maybe no guide has ever been done. The options are surprisingly complex for what is an on-the-face-of-it simple looking game. It's simple to get started with but - assuming the results of choices such as whether to combine or breakdown units etc make a difference - pretty complex beneath that level.

Thanks again,

Peter
09-16-2016, 05:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2016, 05:26 PM by Xaver.)
If is not possible cut all enemy retreat routes all depends of what you need... if you need simple take the hex disrupt defenders and assault in one single assault with 2-3 platoons if is possible to prevent stack to much troops in hex when you take it... in general related with defenders quality-number-status adapt assault force to this.

Is not critical VS AI but VS a human in his turn is going to mass arty over your overstacked hex and use to much units to take the hex could be punished hard in next turn.

For example VS AI i have one battle where AI mass units to take an hex, it do it BUT in my turn i move troops around the hex and do a multiple assault from diferent directions... i eat 110 enemy soldiers, a full company destroyed.

So, for example, take an entrenched hex manned by PGs and AT guns. I have, say, 20 odd tanks and a Bn of infantry at my disposal, plus arty and air. What is the best way? These questions occur to me:
1. Break down all my units or keep them at co level? if your units are not close to lose one quality level by fatigue and enemy is soft enough to have low impact with defensive fire you can assault with platoons IF is possible... on this situations is better assault as you can to take the position before defenders recover.

2. Stack as many as possible in adjacent hexes - or at longest stand-off range possible, or somewhere inbetween?  VS AI is possible do this, VS humans is better dont have full company stacks to prevent arty decimate your assault troops... many times you need finish close to the hex you want assault by lack of action points... here is good use terrain to limitate enemy fire before you can assault.

3. Mix stacks of tanks and infantry, or keep separate? if is possible assault with no combined arms penalty use vehicles to increase assault power... i think is 1 vehicle 10 soldiers the relation to dont suffer penalty for have to much armor.

4. Break down enemy with ranged fire (including prelim arty barrages and air attacks [the turn before, in the case of air]), or assault immediately? Do not assault until enemy units disrupted? depends, if you have enough troops to assault and enemy and succes chance is high do it but here depends to if you are pushing more areas... more attacks means that human player need split more arty fire or simple take the hard decision of concentrate arty in the most underpresure area... if you dont have enough troops and enemy can use arty to soft you... dont wait to assault if you want take position because in next turn is going to be harder.

5. If assaulting immediately, or after disruption, assault a little at a time (tanks first in a stack, or infantry, then next counter down etc, to give as many attacks as possible) or just double click stacks and attack all at once. This question applies to ranged firing also - all at once or individual counters at a time? Or some ranged fire, some assault?

Depends, masive assaults are used more to take hex ASAP, multiple assault for me are more usefull when you have a big stack of enemy troops that cant scape and you want destroy them... this is something commong in all Tiller games, instead one single assault do 1 or 2 extra assaults to maximize the casualties in the turn... of course depends of your troops status and IF you need continue pushing with no stop... here is better leave an assault team and continue moving not wasting actions points in assaults.

In general situation show you what do,not allways is possible do the perfect choice and even if you do it sometimes dices are going to have the last word.
09-16-2016, 09:11 PM,
Have you looked at this post? Might help....

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=66968

Read2
09-17-2016, 12:17 AM,
Thanks, Xaver! Great tips. And thanks for answering the questions. Much appreciated. Ditto Kolc - that thread I hadn't seen and it is, of course, spot on! Fantastic. I will now read it.

Many thanks both, again.
Peter