• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Halftracks-What are they
09-14-2016, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 11:43 PM by zap.)
RE: Halftracks-What are they
(09-14-2016, 02:10 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: I recall infantry on halftracks add half their assault value to the mix. Jason could confirm perhaps.

If the assault goes wrong they could loose all troops on board easily. Similar to what happens when a loaded transport is fired upon (most troops wiped out)?
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2016, 02:57 PM,
Also, German Halftracks are worth some easy VP values, especially the new ones with their higher VP value to alleviate the very fact they should not be used as sacrificial lambs for OP absorbing.

Yes, the loaded infantry should take a hit as the HT takes one.

[Image: halftrackVPcomparison.png]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-14-2016, 09:22 PM,
(09-14-2016, 02:10 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: I recall infantry on halftracks add half their assault value to the mix. Jason could confirm perhaps.

Confirmed, 2.02 manual page 50 mentions the passenger unit of an armored carried capable of assaulting adds half of their assault value to the mix. 

As for their' use, I've never had enough HTs to waste them on mindless op fire baiting. I do like to use it as a recon unit, it is an armed fighting vehicle as well. Hate to lose them in that role as well. But what it finds I shoot at!  

It works the other way as well. For instance in the Prokhorovka The Real Battle we played as a team game we as the Red Horder loved blasting those soft skinned vehicles to kingdom come. Adds very easily to the VP tally.

I am aware Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to them though.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-15-2016, 01:22 AM,
Halftracks are armored personnel carriers/armored fighting vehicles. Didn't Peiper command a HT battalion for while? I don't remember reading about his Bn carrying anybody.
09-15-2016, 09:58 PM,
(09-15-2016, 01:22 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Halftracks are armored personnel carriers/armored fighting vehicles.  Didn't Peiper command a HT battalion for while?  I don't remember reading about his Bn carrying anybody.

There was an account of a leader riding into battle in a halftrack during the Kalinin battles of 1941......they are still looking for him......but his valor is still talked about :-)
09-15-2016, 11:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2016, 11:22 PM by Crossroads.)
More Halftracks <- Link

Tank7
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-16-2016, 02:33 AM,
(09-15-2016, 09:58 PM)Von Earlmann Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 01:22 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Halftracks are armored personnel carriers/armored fighting vehicles.  Didn't Peiper command a HT battalion for while?  I don't remember reading about his Bn carrying anybody.

There was an account of a leader riding into battle in a halftrack during the Kalinin battles of 1941......they are still looking for him......but his valor is still talked about :-)

I thought Peiper's command at Kursk was a HT Bn.
09-20-2016, 12:44 AM,
(09-14-2016, 10:51 AM)zap Wrote: So without riders is okay for some. But why with riders aboard? Only, for others. It would seem they are more vulnerable to negative effects. Being loaded does there firepower add to the assault.

It is even more "unrealistic" to assault with loaded halftracks.  I would guess any loaded halftrack participating in an assault would unload pretty damned quick.  Those troops wouldn't want to be bottled up and sitting ducks.  They would theoretically be capable of shooting out of the halftrack and amassing some serious firepower...but I doubt that would be their first choice.

In the game your opponent may find it more equitable since your valuable infantry is highly vulnerable when loaded on a halftrack, and you risk more VP's assaulting with them in the back.  I.E., he's got a good chance to shoot you up, and if he does, it's going to cost you.

Halftracks can get to hexes many can't, and with that high speed/maneuverability, they will always be "in the mix" of units you're going to want to try for assault.  Just use them in combination with other units, infantry or armor, and 99% of your opponents will be "OK" with the assault.  In many cases halftracks are even more useful during assaults by moving behind the units being assaulted, preventing retreat.  Successful assaulting with their retreat cut off ends in capture, and that's probably your ultimate goal in any case.

Halftracks were used historically for assaults.  It was rare, but it happened.  In our games I believe we "halftrack up" and have a lot more running around the map than was true historically.  Exacerbating the issue.

This is a scenario designer's issue, too many halftracks in the mix that is, and I for one am trying to quit.

I'm attending "Halftrack Anonymous" but so far I'm only on step 3 of the 12 step program... Big Laugh
09-20-2016, 02:36 AM,
Firing from the back, I would also assume accuracy, for the most part, is out the window. I think most would have unloaded and then attempted to provide covering fire.
09-20-2016, 02:45 AM,
Dan, could you PM that number of HT-Anonymous?

Farmer

HSL