• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Halftracks-What are they
09-14-2016, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 07:46 AM by Osiris.)
Halftracks-What are they
I think this discussion needs to be had. I am putting up with all kinds of nonsense where my Russian forces are being swarmed by halftracks. Its got so bad that I have to turn off OP fire because some enterprising players are using them as OP fire triggers. I see half tracks being used as recon, op fire triggers, securing objectives with no supporting infantry or tanks..I am to the point where I am seriously considering quitting playing.

In my opinion Halftracks are transports. In many cases the halftracks were left behind and grenadiers walked into battle. However according to Panzerblitz rules halftracks cannot make close assaults with out a combat unit infantry, tank assault gun..

So the question remains what are halftracks and what are generally accepted rules on their use.
rene
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2016, 06:36 AM,
RE: Halftracks-What are they
I recommend you check out the Personal ROE's to view players rules of engagement and find like minded players. Add your own as well: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=61755

Also, tell your opponent what rules you want to employ before the game starts. Avoid the agony.  Smile

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-14-2016, 08:37 AM,
That's a gay tactic, for sure... Agree with Dave, too bad we have to resort to that anymore, but, that's what happens!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
09-14-2016, 08:50 AM,
This topic inevitably arises when playing EF where the Germans have them and the Russians don't.
For the most part.

I think it's best to agree on acceptable use prior to playing, as Dave suggests above.

Personally I acknowledge that they are legitimate scouting units. but I don't like it when they draw OP fire meant for tanks. Still, shit happens. If I'm scouting with them, and I draw out AT fire, I try my best to never follow up with tanks to take advantage. In that case, I'm not trying to deplete OP fire with them, but that's what happens, so as a "gentlemen" I try not to take advantage.

In many cases where players lead with halftracks, their victory points will still add up, so that can ameloriate the situation somewhat.

The "grim" conclusion to this type of gentlemen's ROE can lead to situations where both players feel obligated to always lead with their best tanks. I.E., if you send out your PZ III's, and they get shot, and you follow up with Tigers, that's along the same lines and a questionable move for many. Situations vary of course, but historically when trying to advance against heavy defenses all armys would tend to send in the heavies. At least a mix that included their heavies.

In West Front, both sides have halftracks often as not, and "tit for tat" applies so it's a moot point.

I'm seeing more and more new scenario work where the Russians are getting halftracks now. Lend lease halftracks. This also helps eliminate the issue, and I like to do this myself.
09-14-2016, 09:37 AM,
Can you clarify for me: some have mentioned they accept assault with HT's with the troops on board . Is that correct or do they mean to say in the same hex as ground troops in an assault
09-14-2016, 10:33 AM,
I always stand by my ROE's.
There is always a time when a half track may draw fire unintentionally. But, as Dan said, I try not to follow up by moving tanks in to shoot up the shooter.

With or without riders I will always use half tracks to assault with infantry.

And, I do like a half track discussion. Propeller Hat

If you are having problems with opponents using half tracks "improperly" it may be you and not your opponent's problem? Whistle
One man's problem is another man's common usage? Stir the Pot

Farmer

HSL
09-14-2016, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 10:52 AM by zap.)
So without riders is okay for some. But why with riders aboard? Only, for others. It would seem they are more vulnerable to negative effects. Being loaded does there firepower add to the assault.
09-14-2016, 01:09 PM,
(09-14-2016, 10:51 AM)zap Wrote: ...But why with riders aboard? Only, for others. It would seem they are more vulnerable to negative effects. Being loaded does there firepower add to the assault.

I never understood that either. Riders don't add to the assault do they?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-14-2016, 01:14 PM,
(09-14-2016, 01:09 PM)Scud Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 10:51 AM)zap Wrote: ...But why with riders aboard? Only, for others. It would seem they are more vulnerable to negative effects. Being loaded does there firepower add to the assault.

I never understood that either. Riders don't add to the assault do they?

I don't think it does add to assault..and I should really make a ROE that's a good idea
rene
09-14-2016, 02:10 PM,
I recall infantry on halftracks add half their assault value to the mix. Jason could confirm perhaps.
Visit us at CSLegion.com