• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWW... whats next?
05-21-2016, 04:45 AM,
RE: FWW... whats next?
Well, a title ala Salerno is more common when you have many pieces and you cant pack them in their own titles... better have a "franken title" and have an exit for the work done.

But is not like you can have the idea of pack diferent battles (even in space and time) in a single title to offer a full game in content and at same time cover things that you cant offer as single titles... maybe offer them as bonus in other titles is less interesting.

Maybe now they have a clear idea of what release with a lot of info and work done for future titles... lets see but i dont see bad a Salerno style title for FWW to cover smaller actions without need a big title to add the mas bonus.
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2016, 09:11 AM,
(05-21-2016, 02:44 AM)ComradeP Wrote: If you mean that scenarios of a certain size from existing titles might be bundled, then I guess that might be a possibility, but I'm personally hoping mister Tiller and the various design teams stick to making full titles.

No reason that both could not be done.

Research is done. OOBs are done.

Some folks prefer all battles relevant to an operation.

Other folks like myself who  like the shorter scenarios would buy more JTS if given the option - for a "sampler"  style release.

They'll probably continue on as you say but I think they'll be missing an opportunity to bump sales a bit with relatively little effort.
Send this user an email
05-21-2016, 01:05 PM,
(05-20-2016, 12:25 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Well regarding fatigue, it was never meant to work that way:
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid400462

And it really doesn't make any sense at all, one company gets fubar and by combining it with the other companies the complete battalion gets fubar.

As I said, that is incorrect, JT himself forgot what he said 15 years before that message from Strela. It works as was designed, he just forgot that I would guess. From all of the manuals that I checked when that post was made, it states this:

with the highest Fatigue of either unit.

This goes back to the very earliest manual as best I can tell/remember, as it was commonly discussed as the way things worked, on purpose, per the manual and gameplay.

If not as designed but a bug, it is amazing that the manual was incorrect AND matched how the game worked with the bug in place.

Not a big deal, just like to show that it is rare for a JT game to have a bug, although they do happen. But generally not this blatantly.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-22-2016, 12:28 AM,
A little idea here could offer a "base game" that you can complete using packs... i explain this.

You have a base game where you can install packs based in certain battle to small to be included in a big title, of course price is lower than a full title, the good point is you can have even a single guy working on it and when is ready release it faster than waiting to have a title to pack it and release it... at same time you have the normal titles you can have a "repository title" where release all the smaller works without wait create a full title, at same you is a way to keep things moving... and have the option to work in darker battles with no necesity to have more content to release them... when they are done simple sell the pack and install in the base game.

Could be a title released with a battle pack and you pay for it or even could be a "free scen" that can work as demo and you can expand it paying for battle packs.

I dont really know how work the FWW team... if is a one task team or team members work on their own ideas that could be expanded in future or not.... but have the ability to work in a specific battle and have the option to release it when is done...

Of course prices need be related with content... but something in the range of 5-10 euros is good enough and if base game is free... 3-4 battle packs can offer you a full title of course, no mega campaign but playing with what ifs is possible complete very well them to have a good range of small to medium scens.

I know is easier say it than do it but maybe could be something to have in mind... imagine for example if now Tiller offer for 5 euros a new pack of scens for PzC Mius demo for example.
05-22-2016, 01:34 AM,
Though scenario bundles could work for the mobile market, I doubt that market is big enough to be worth the cost in terms of designing those packs.

The last thing I'd want for the regular PC titles is mister Tiller being inspired by Battlefront's business models to force everybody to buy upgrades to keep playing online, or to release glorified texture packs as new content.
05-22-2016, 02:55 AM,
(05-22-2016, 01:34 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Though scenario bundles could work for the mobile market, I doubt that market is big enough to be worth the cost in terms of designing those packs.

The last thing I'd want for the regular PC titles is mister Tiller being inspired by Battlefront's business models to force everybody to buy upgrades to keep playing online, or to release glorified texture packs as new content.

I HATE Battlefront business model, i buy CMBN when was released and when to upgrade i need pay simple uninstall the game apart this the DRM system give me some problems as bonus (one of the motives to dont buy their WWI title that for me is the best in the style, better than Commander).

I am not saying use here Battlefront system, simple do something like in "Field of Glory" and the army packs... offer a base game that you can complete buying packs of scens, in Tiller games offer scens around a specific battle.

As you can read i dont say use this system in all games... i see this as a complement to regular system to give fast exit to things to small to have their own titles... and at same time open room to have "small teams" even single man teams working in a specific battle to release it and not leave small works in a box, if you dont need pack a lot of battles/scens to release a title you can work in a specific battle and release it for a correct price... i think in a rank of 5-10 euros related with the size... in the end is 1/6 or 1/3 cost of a normal title (a little less related with exchange).

For example, is like take Salerno and release a game for 10 euros with all Salerno scens... add Creta scens for 10 euros and Anzio for other 10... in the end you have 30 euros game, similar to the price for the full title but you can release it step by step and players can decide if buy or not all packs.

In FWW the idea is open the option to work in single battles that never can be part of a full title because are limited and join them all in a single title... call it "FWW small campaigns" that you can complete as you want or can.... using Meggido as example... 

10 euros to have:
-historical battle
-variant with ottoman units with extra quality (like was done middle east for 67 campaign variant)
-variant with extra central power help (german and AH extra units.. 2 infantry divisions and 1 mixed cavalry unit)
-variant with extra central power help + extra quality for ottomans
-variant with extra central power help + extra help for allies (1 french infantry division 1 french cavalry division.. 1 italian infantry division and 1 mixed cavalry unit with italians and japanese troops for example)
-variant with extra central power help - extra quality for ottomans + extra help for allies

I think is a good pack and is the option to add more "dark" actions... Serbia front, Rumania, Palestina, Mesopotamia, Italy front... even add what ifs like a more serious fight in Tsingtao... as you can see my point is in provide a way to release that kind of things without the hard limitation of offer a full title or wait to pack them in a single title.
05-22-2016, 06:35 PM,
Similar to the old SPI box sets with 4/5 Nappy scenarios covering different battles from different years rather than one campaign, all sharing a common set of rules.
05-22-2016, 08:30 PM,
I dont know SPI system but is like you say, the idea is not change the release system, the idea is add in serie a title that can work as box where place things that never are going to provide enough material for a full title, at same time is possible use this as a test area... imagine you can cover late period in FWW... well, why not test it with a "small action" before try a big title??? they can work in a fast minititle to test before enter in a big title and at same time earn some cash.

In other games mods are a way to explore diferent periods or actions but saddly in Tiller games you cant edit maps, even more, in certain series (like FWW or nap) you dont have tools to create easy OOBs, until i know number of full mods for tiller games are limited... Jarama37 and one for EAW covering 7 years war??? of course are great mods like North Africa40 but they are using existing maps.

Well, now next step is FWW03 and lets see whats next, expect we can have it soon.
05-24-2016, 01:44 AM,
(05-22-2016, 08:30 PM)Xaver Wrote: Well, now next step is FWW03 and lets see whats next, expect we can have it soon.

I am sure that Ed is working on that as fast as real life allows him to! Wink
05-25-2016, 06:15 AM,
Since you asked (oh, wait, you didn't?), this is what I want to see...
I would like to see 1914 finished off, then either the mobile battles of 1915 in the East (Gorlice-Tarnow and the continuations, the Black and Gold Offensive, if that is the correct name of the Austrian final offensive and then Brusilov' counterattack, the defeat of Serbia), and then 1918, both the German series of offensives and then the last 100 Days Allied offensive (easily 2 games). It the game is configured for mobile warfare, I would love to see it tweaked for these campaigns before going over to hard core trench warfare....Even 1916 in the East would not require too many changes (Romania, the Brusilov Offensive, etc)

One of my favorite, most informative military history books that I have read is The German 1918 Offensives: A Case Study in The Operational Level of War (Strategy and History), by David Zabecki and since I read it a few years back I have been looking forward to Ed getting to that stage of the war.