• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 10 file problem
02-21-2016, 04:23 AM,
RE: Windows 10 file problem
The following message was posted on the American Civil War Game Club forum:

An email attachment (BTE or ZIP) Saved from Outlook Mail assumes a Read-only attribute. This is apparently to prevent online editing and the potential of spreading malware. It forces the user to copy the file to their respective machine in order to edit. This is not a bug. Outlook users need to be aware of this change. If a BTE is received and saved, it will be marked Read-only and one will need to turn off this attribute -- every time. If, however, the BTE is contained in a compressed folder, the Open option can be selected and the BTE copied to the game folder as per usual. If the user saves the ZIP file then it will be marked Read-only, but this is meaningless.

Bottom line: ZIP your BTE files before sending to another player. No way of knowing whether other email platforms will adopt this type of security app.
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2016, 11:17 AM,
Funny, my outlook account allows me to save bte files to a download file folder and then directly load them to a game file. Is that the same thing your talking about?
02-21-2016, 03:18 PM,
(02-21-2016, 11:17 AM)zap Wrote: Funny, my outlook account allows me to save bte files to a download file folder and then directly load them to a game file. Is that the same thing your talking about?

I think the problem is only with the mail app that comes with Windows 10. If you download directly from outlook or Gmail this problem does not seem to apply.