• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 10 file problem
02-14-2016, 10:42 AM,
News  Windows 10 file problem
With a recent update to Windows 10 all game files that I am receiving are coming in as Read Only files. This means that you can not save the turn and it does not seem to advance properly. 

To solve this problem every time that you download a file you need to go to File Manager and find the game file. Right click on the file and the click properties. If the Read Only box is checked uncheck it and then hit apply. The file will now work properly. Unfortunately this is not a permanent fix and must be done every time that you download a file. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this problem.

Nick
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2016, 07:41 PM,
RE: Windows 10 file problem
Hello Nick,

I am not seeing this on my W10 setup. On the other hand, at work where we've got W7 as the standard, I get this with files even opened from our network drive and certainly with attachments from MS Outlook email programme.

Which email client are you using, might that be the culprit here?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-15-2016, 11:11 AM,
(02-14-2016, 07:41 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: Hello Nick,

I am not seeing this on my W10 setup. On the other hand, at work where we've got W7 as the standard, I get this with files even opened from our network drive and certainly with attachments from MS Outlook email programme.

Which email client are you using, might that be the culprit here?

I am using the stock email program that came with Windows 10.
02-15-2016, 04:01 PM,
^^That might be the culprit then? Anyone else using that email client?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-16-2016, 02:42 AM,
Is it happening to other files? A couple of threads refer to the zip referred to here in post #4 (one was from a Microsoft tech): https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remov...0.1156071/

At any rate, it seems to be a Microsoft upgrade problem. Does it happen with any zip file or just zipped game files? If just game files, you could try uninstalling the game, then reinstalling which might reestablish you as the owner, in case the win10 upgrade messed that up.

Believe it or not, but Microsoft does have phone and chat support and they actually respond.

If you figure it out, let us know.

Good luck,

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
02-16-2016, 07:17 AM,
(02-16-2016, 02:42 AM)Scud Wrote: Is it happening to other files? A couple of threads refer to the zip referred to here in post #4 (one was from a Microsoft tech): https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remov...0.1156071/

At any rate, it seems to be a Microsoft upgrade problem. Does it happen with any zip file or just zipped game files? If just game files, you could try uninstalling the game, then reinstalling which might reestablish you as the owner, in case the win10 upgrade messed that up.

Believe it or not, but Microsoft does have phone and chat support and they actually respond.

If you figure it out, let us know.

Good luck,

Dave

It happens wether the file is zipped or not and also affects my CWIE game turns the same way.
02-16-2016, 04:15 PM,
Seems this could be a Windows 10 upgrade issue for folks are reporting the same problem with other forums where bioman asked for help.

Have you guys checked the folder ownership issue Scud was referring to as well?

Look for a link in post #9 in the same thread at Pz Campaigns thread, HERE.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-16-2016, 04:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016, 04:16 PM by Crossroads.)
...this one, that is:

(02-16-2016, 02:19 AM)Ricky B Wrote: This has a fairly detailed walk through if the problem is the same (and I suspect it is).

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-o...n-windows/
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-17-2016, 04:04 AM,
(02-16-2016, 04:16 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: ...this one, that is:

(02-16-2016, 02:19 AM)Ricky B Wrote: This has a fairly detailed walk through if the problem is the same (and I suspect it is).

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-o...n-windows/

I tried the solution listed and it did nothing. It seems to be a problem with the Windows mail app.
02-17-2016, 07:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2016, 07:52 AM by Scud.)
Maybe, maybe not. You could try screwing around with permissions. Go to the John Tiller folder or a folder inside it like the West Front folder, for instance, right click/properties - at top go to Security tab and see if you have Full control for Authenticated users, SYSTEM, etc.

If you really suspect it's an email thing, that should be simple to test. Just setup a gmail account and have someone send you a game turn. Also, I googled "windows 10 email attachment read only" and found this: http://superuser.com/questions/874220/ch...read-write, but there are more. This is for Outlook, but Windows mail is the old Outlook Express, so it might help you troubleshoot.

If that still doesn't work then I'd think the easiest fix, short of contacting Microsoft, is to reinstall the game. That should negate an upgrading bug, since you'd be installing the game right onto a Windows 10 system.

...and that's about all I can think of. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

edit: ACK! Just saw Rick's reply above. Guess we're on the same page.  Smile
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email