• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 10 file problem
02-14-2016, 10:44 AM,
News  Windows 10 file problem
With a recent update to Windows 10 all game files that I am receiving are coming in as Read Only files. This means that you can not save the turn and it does not seem to advance properly. 

To solve this problem every time that you download a file you need to go to File Manager and find the game file. Right click on the file and the click properties. If the Read Only box is checked uncheck it and then hit apply. The file will now work properly. Unfortunately this is not a permanent fix and must be done every time that you download a file. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this problem.

Nick
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2016, 01:57 PM,
RE: Windows 10 file problem
Where do you have the game installed at? I am running Win 10 and no issues at all. Sounds like a protected location issue maybe?

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-14-2016, 02:55 PM,
(02-14-2016, 01:57 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Where do you have the game installed at? I am running Win 10 and no issues at all. Sounds like a protected location issue maybe?

Rick

Game is in default JTS location and HPS Simulations location. I got the computer in December and it has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. I am not the only person with this problem.
02-14-2016, 03:02 PM,
Does it do it whether zipped or saving straight to the game folder? As I say, no issues with mine either way, so trying to narrow it down. If you are hoping Microsoft does something, I hope you have reached out to them!
02-15-2016, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2016, 03:45 AM by redboot.)
I have the same issue.  Happens with zipped files too and no matter where you save.  Didn't happen as soon as I upgraded to Win 10, but about 2 months after.  Another workaround I have discovered is to save as a different file name, close the turn, then convert back to the old file name.  A little cumbersome, but maybe not as bad as going in to properties and clicking the read only box every time because you can do it within the game.
02-15-2016, 08:01 AM,
Just guessing, but if it worked OK to start with and then developed an issue maybe it is linked to an update?

It would also be useful to know if the issue is limited to Win10 upgrades or if it affects PC's with Win10 preloaded?
02-15-2016, 11:07 AM,
(02-15-2016, 08:01 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Just guessing, but if it worked OK to start with and then developed an issue maybe it is linked to an update?

It would also be useful to know if the issue is limited to Win10 upgrades or if it affects PC's with Win10 preloaded?

I bought a computer with Windows 10 preloaded. As previously stated mine worked fine until a few weeks ago and then started the problem. It does not matter if the files are zipped or not. It affects all the games I play, Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles and Campaign series. When ever I download a file I now routine uncheck the Read Only box on the file properties.
02-15-2016, 01:48 PM,
So try something like this, is the best suggestion I can come up with:
'On the volume in question, right-click on the drive (or game folder involved?) and select 'Properties'
Click on the 'Security' tab
Click the 'Edit' button
Highlight the 'Authenticated Users' group
Grant the 'Modify' permission (which should automatically check the 'write' box as well)
Click 'OK'
Click 'OK'

-----------------
This seems to help some people with similar issues in Win 10 (and apparently in Win 7 at times too). Or various variations depending on the user class you want to adjust. But it doesn't seem t help some others.

Rick
02-16-2016, 02:19 AM,
This has a fairly detailed walk through if the problem is the same (and I suspect it is).

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-o...n-windows/
02-16-2016, 06:09 AM,
Lets hope what Rick has found solves this issue?