• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Manual to be Updated
02-18-2016, 06:52 AM,
RE: Manual to be Updated
(02-18-2016, 02:54 AM)Hadge Wrote: Something like this maybe .... ?

I used to play SPI board games in the "old" days and they were brilliant at this sort of thing (except "The Next War" LOL")  - I did this for my own benefit when messing about with Kursk - so it does'nt include all the parameters for Normandy, but its an easy fix, and the principle could be ported to PzC too

I know when I first started I could have done with something like this for that too ... 

You/we could link this to rules manual numbering but with a little bit more explanation - for example:-

what does "-1" movement indicate? (I know Wink )
what does the art hard target mod do?
what is the range effect mod?
what is a hard fire mod?
a link to the "on foot" rules as appropriate
what does the elevation Mod do?
a link to the cliff crossing special rules

etc. etc.

I know most of what's needed is in there - but sometimes its hard to find or easy to overlook.

Always happy to help if needed

Cheers

Chris

[Image: Kursk%20PDT.jpg]

Chris,

Yes this is very similar to what I had in mind!

I'll look at something very similar but will add terrain graphics etc to help as well.

All in all you have it pretty spot on. You have my email address - if you feel inclined please share the layout with me!

David
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2016, 08:43 AM,
Super great suggestion Chris.  Thanks for suggesting it.

I too, remember one of my earliest computer war games offer images of the terrain in the manual, which I always really liked as I could easily determine what I was looking at on the game map.
02-25-2016, 06:32 PM,
Hi All,

Here is a little sneak peak at the Terrain table we're creating to go with the patch.

This is very much draft and uses the values that are default in Normandy - at least it gives you an idea of the direction we're going in.

David

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20452.jpg]
02-26-2016, 09:16 AM,
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful !!!!!

Looks great.   Thumbs Up

Thanks for being willing to create it.
02-27-2016, 09:59 AM,
Some things that tripped me up, that I think should be explained in the manual.

1. What exactly is a hard target? Is an anti-tank gun a hard target? Are motorized vehicles hard targets? Are there any tanks that are NOT hard targets?

2. It says medium bridges can be used by non-armored vehicles. Are anti-tank guns non-armored vehicles? Are halftracks and motorized trucks non-armored vehicles?

-=Jeff
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball
02-27-2016, 10:34 AM,
Jeff, hard targets are in the manual already - Main Program Help, under Alternative Unit Info:

The words Hard Target will appear when the unit is an armored target.

This shows up right under the Defense Factor for a unit.

For non-armored vehicles, I would guess it is these same Hard Target units that are actually vehicles and not guns - SP Artillery is a vehicle and not a gun. That would be good to clarify - a motorized truck would be non-armored though, I am sure, a halftrack depends on the type.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-27-2016, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 03:39 PM by Strela.)
All,

A quick update for you. I got some time on the manual this week and I'm a lot happier with it.

Some of the changes included laying out the existing user manual in a more logical way, in other areas it was adding missing information or better explaining existing concepts.

When ready I will post a draft version here for comment as I have received reasonable feedback to date from the community here at the Blitz.

More to follow soon.

David
02-27-2016, 04:38 PM,
David,

Will the manual explain "On Foot" in more detail. I can't seem to find much about it and what it does.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-27-2016, 04:47 PM,
(02-27-2016, 04:38 PM)Richie61 Wrote: David,

Will the manual explain "On Foot" in more detail. I can't seem to find much about it and what it does.

Ed,

I'll make certain it does. This is why I'll send it out to everyone here to ensure we capture these kind of requests.

David
02-28-2016, 05:09 AM,
Regarding "on foot"...I noticed some units will not go to "on foot" status. In the examples I am thinking of the units do not have a vehicle behind them in their unit icon...does that mean they are always "on foot?"