• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Manual to be Updated
03-03-2016, 12:08 AM,
RE: Manual to be Updated
Ah, yes, it seems that if you select one or multiple non-vehicle units and select Carry/Uncarry, you get that error instead of a message indicating the unit can't carry passengers or be carried as a passenger.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 02:04 AM,
(03-03-2016, 12:08 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Ah, yes, it seems that if you select one or multiple non-vehicle units and select Carry/Uncarry, you get that error instead of a message indicating the unit can't carry passengers or be carried as a passenger.

So it's my error? I convert them to "On Foot" and then any turn afterwards they can't go back to the vehicles?
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
03-03-2016, 03:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 03:24 AM by ComradeP.)
Technically, the unit doesn't have vehicles in the sense of physically present vehicles.

It has a foot state and a state for the movement type used by its transport.

It doesn't switch from "Men" to "Vehicles" or from "Guns" to "Vehicles".

In order to regain the ability to switch to its transport state, it has to end and start its turn in a hex with its HQ (an actual HQ unit, not a "stab" or "headquarters" combat unit).

In the case of that PzG unit, its movement type switches to Hard Halftrack in T-mode, which makes it a hard target and gives it the movement characteristics displayed in the parameter data dialog for hard halftrack movement.

That is, however, the only thing that changes. Other values, like the defense and attack values, are modified due to being in T-mode, but not changed to a different base value. The defence value of the unit doesn't change to 3, for example, which it would if the unit would actually transform into a halftrack unit when in T-mode.

Because of the values only being modified, units composed of men, and some gun units, have higher defense values in mechanized T-mode than the vehicles they're mounted in have as actual units.

As trucks have a defence value of 10, motorized units in T-mode have a lower defence value than their transport vehicles have as units.
03-03-2016, 03:17 AM,
(03-03-2016, 03:06 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Technically, the unit doesn't have vehicles in the sense of physically present vehicles.

It has a foot state and a state for the movement type used by its transport.

It doesn't switch from "Men" to "Vehicles" or from "Guns" to "Vehicles".

In order to regain the ability to switch to its transport state, it has to end and start its turn in a hex with its HQ (an actual HQ unit, not a "stab" or "headquarters" combat unit).

It's me. David looked at the file and set me straight. Thanks to all of you guys for helping me understand it.

Quote:From the manual;

It is possible for motorized and mechanized
infantry units to be classified as "On Foot". This
means that these units have left behind their
transportation and are advancing on foot. While in
this state, the units move as though they were
normal foot infantry. At the beginning of the player
turn when the units are stacked with their HQ unit,
this state is removed and the units return to normal status.

Just tried it and moved the HQ and unit you wanted loaded up into the same hex – voila they are back in vehicles. Note the message that appears at the beginning of the next turn.

Why does it work this way? Going on foot means the vehicles are moved away a safe distance in the rear. The moving to where the HQ is represents the delay to get the vehicles back and the unit organized.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
05-13-2016, 12:46 PM,
All,

As mentioned the manuals have been updated in the latest Normandy patch. A lot of work went into this and I'd love people to look through and feedback here if possible. These are all a work in progress but any and all assistance helps us.

The updated manuals are the General help (Pzb.pdf), User Manual (User.pdf) and the Getting Started Guide (Started.pdf)

There is a mix of new layouts, additional indexing, new rules sections and new example graphics. We also included a section on the campaign engine in the Getting Started guide and some printable terrain charts that have a lot of pertinent information.

Finally, for those that look carefully there may be an Easter egg or two there as well...!

David
05-14-2016, 07:29 AM,
On page 80 of the user manual (Fuel Supply Problems), the unit is 1 Coy/5 Recon Bn [3] - the vehicle depicted looks like a BMP-1.
05-16-2016, 01:11 PM,
(05-14-2016, 07:29 AM)wildb Wrote: On page 80 of the user manual (Fuel Supply Problems), the unit is 1 Coy/5 Recon Bn [3] - the vehicle depicted looks like a BMP-1.

Yep - that was one of them.  Helmet Wink 

There maybe others across the three documents that were updated.

I'd also love to hear whether people have now found what they were looking for previously and if the new indexing and layout is a help or hindrance?

David
08-06-2016, 06:21 AM,
(02-14-2016, 02:10 AM)Strela Wrote: Hi Guys,

I have seen lots of comments that there is a heap of things either missing or poorly explained in the manual(s).

Can you please list them in this thread and I'll try and update the game manuals accordingly (maybe even in time for the patch!).

Thanks,

David

To Reiterate what was said in the first reply to this thread - what is the definition of isolated? I'm assuming it's related to the definition from the ACW - tracing a line to a supply source free of enemy ZOCs avoids isolation, but it seems that some terrain blocks this?