• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Everything you never wanted to know about colourised graphics in Panzer Battles
05-25-2016, 06:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016, 06:43 PM by Strela.)
RE: Everything you never wanted to know about colourised graphics in Panzer Battles
For those that are particularly observant you will note I have a new Avatar!

I have been inspired by this Facebook page - the work here is amazing!!!

https://www.facebook.com/WW2-Colourised-...e_internal

I decided I had to try my hand at doing my own 'complete' picture.

See below for the original photo and the two versions I did - the first has a sun faded uniform and the second slightly less so. You can also see the difference, different contrast settings have - interesting stuff.

This is a Free French Marine fitted out in a British uniform in North Africa...

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20459.jpg]

PS They also have a great video tutorial here - they make it look easy!

https://www.facebook.com/393166910813107...=2&theater

David
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2016, 09:22 PM,
RE: Everything you never wanted to know about colourised graphics in Panzer Battles
Interesting... is a simple "lets change avatar i am tired of old one" or we need search a 2nd dark hide intention behind the change???  Big Grin2

Marines in the desert... at least they dont need care about this... Shark but they can finish... Desert2 Big Laugh
05-25-2016, 11:06 PM,
Super great stuff Strela and also a very nice find.

Thanks for sharing!

Also, nice new choice for your avatar as they are getting classier and classier!   Thumbs Up
05-26-2016, 05:13 AM,
Strela,

The photography is beautiful and the colorization superb. A true professional work !!
05-26-2016, 05:45 AM,
That facebook page is amazing!  Smile
05-27-2016, 04:19 AM,
I needed a break from map making and found this beautiful photo at a higher resolution than I normally have to work with.

This probably took the longest time that I have spent on colourisation but I'm very proud of the end result of my Italian infantryman. Helmet Wink

From top to bottom; The original photo, the colourised infantryman and finally with the background painted.

David

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20460.jpg]

Photo from the Istituto Luce - Cinecittà
05-27-2016, 09:03 AM,
Very Very nice!
05-27-2016, 06:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 06:41 PM by wiggum.)
Awesome !
But i would give him brownish eyes as he is Italian its more likely i guess.
The steel blue eyes dont fit in my opinion.

I hope the next PzB will also feature new engine features (better reinforcements dialogue) and better (sharper/high res) graphics.
05-27-2016, 06:53 PM,
(05-27-2016, 06:39 PM)wiggum Wrote: Awesome !
But i would give him brownish eyes as he is Italian its more likely i guess.
The steel blue eyes dont fit in my opinion.

I hope the next PzB will also feature new engine features (better reinforcements dialogue) and better (sharper/high res) graphics.

He is Northern Italian!!! Helmet Wink

We are looking through a range of new engine features.

The issue with graphics are that we are limited to counters that are currently roughly 50 x 50 pixels and unit pictures that are 177 x 80.

To get another zoom level we would probably have to look at how Panzer Campaigns did it and 'magnify' the current highest zoom level. That won't improve the resolution, but it will make it easier on old eyes.

Any other methodology for a higher resolution would require brand new graphics for the new scale....

David
05-28-2016, 01:46 AM,
Great job as usual... i find your other post about map work  Helmet Wink

I am curious if you are going to improve a little some of the on map info... i refer to defensive positions and minefields-barbedwire something like add a letter in IP-trench-bunker-pillbox to diference them or a dot in a corner to made them more visible (i am using my own mod with letters and port the Jison minefield symbol over the mine graphic).

Another question, in the weapons area... you are going to continue using the old models or you plan improve them??? some of the guns looks "old" like the soviet 76mm and from my memory the italian guns from PzC were a strange mix of north africa (they look more "rude") and Italy (they look more... "plastic") and after the improvements in armor and vehicles i want know if guns are going to receive a similar love.

Thanks and work hard to have ASAP PzB3   Whip