• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New to Combat Mission 2
01-30-2016, 12:57 AM,
New to Combat Mission 2
I've tried the demo (think it was a couple years ago - Normandy one, I think) and I just gave up from frustration.

I've tried other games and they're either ugly to the eyes (john tiller games) or they're too simple and cartoonish (battle academy) or overly dated (tiller games and SPWaW).

I'd like to try and jump into CM2, but man and I leery about the steep learning curve.

Other than watching video tutorials, can anyone here who struggled learning the game give me some pointers?

Many thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2016, 01:06 AM,
RE: New to Combat Mission 2
I'm wondering if I would be better off playing the earlier CM x1 titles? From what I've read and seen, they aren't as complex in learning as the newer titles, and although dated, those games don't look that bad.

Maybe they could be a launching point into the CM x2 titles?
01-30-2016, 02:17 AM,
(01-30-2016, 01:06 AM)acctingman69 Wrote: I'm wondering if I would be better off playing the earlier CM x1 titles? From what I've read and seen, they aren't as complex in learning as the newer titles, and although dated, those games don't look that bad.

Theres a strong community for both, there are people that will coach. me not being one of them as i just dont have the time. few good men forums is a good place to start. armchair general has a really good tutorial on youtube as does proabulator and i watch all of ithikals stuff. attention to detail as far as the map goes and learning how to stack commands is probably the most important part, you may not notice at birds eye that there is good cover in the middle of a field so get down to troop level. ohh and patience will win more than aggression.
"Acceptance is the path to true wisdom" - Unknown
01-30-2016, 02:29 AM,
Thanks Panzermeister....

I've realized I need to start off small.

I LOVE WW2. The history of it, the commanders, the battles, the tactics and stragegies used and most of all the equipment, but I have almost NO gaming experience with these sort of games. 90% of my gaming experience has been fantasy based MMO's.

I need something simple to wet my teeth with. Baby steps for me since patience is hard for me. I tend to jump in feet first, ask questions later and get frustrated.

I need to learn the genre....learn tactics.

Going to try the Battle Academy series first the from there decide what's next.

Thanks again
01-30-2016, 03:27 AM,
(01-30-2016, 01:06 AM)acctingman69 Wrote: I'm wondering if I would be better off playing the earlier CM x1 titles? From what I've read and seen, they aren't as complex in learning as the newer titles, and although dated, those games don't look that bad.

I have more than 500 games CMx1 pbem under my belt and i definitely do not recommend you to start with it, if your goal is to master CMx2. Cmx1 has a (slightly) less steeper learning curve, but you'll just have to unlearn to much for it to be worth it.

(01-30-2016, 02:29 AM)acctingman69 Wrote: I need something simple to wet my teeth with. Baby steps for me since patience is hard for me. I tend to jump in feet first, ask questions later and get frustrated.

I need to learn the genre....learn tactics.

If i were you i'd start with the game tutorial scenario, although it'll be a bit hard to switch between the game and the pdf manual. Then start a campaign or a scenario or two and play it against the AI. Expect to lose a few games, even against the AI. There's no shame in that, we've all been through it Big Grin

Then, go and watch 'Armchair General presents Combat Mission Normandy Tactics' series ( first episode: the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6dDlqye9Q ); there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Bil Hardenberger blog ( http://battledrill.blogspot.ro/ ) is a real gold mine when it comes to CMx2 tactics.

When you're comfortable enough with the basic commands of the game and you think you have some basic tactical skills (which you might already have it) , come here and challenge a human opponent. There's really no substitute for that, when it comes to learning. Finally, expect to have your ass kicked really, really hard in the beginning. I don't know about others, but when i first joined theblitz and started playing against human opponents it took me 11 or 12 games to score my first victory Big Grin
Send this user an email
01-30-2016, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2016, 09:59 AM by phoenix.)
Nice to hear that Raz (the 11 or 12 losses bit). I'm in that streak, but still enjoying the learning process.
02-11-2016, 07:23 AM,
Hello Acctingman!

One advise for the newbie:
Think this simulator as reality and not a game.
Why? Because it is a simulator that tries to get as close to reality as possible.

So think like a soldier on a real battlefield who tries to get the mission accomplished and survive doing it.

Something along these lines:
Do you wander into an area known to be held by the enemy without sending a few guys ahead, scouting? No, the new guys can do what they are best at: draw fire so the old hands know where the Krauts/Tommies/Amis/Iwans are.

Do you run into a heavy machinegun's field of fire with no covering fire suppressing it? No sir, MGs get plastered with mortars or lots of small arms fire.

Do you assault enemy armour on open ground with infantry? Hell no, you take the motherlovers out with ATGs, tanks or if nothing else is at hand, artillery.
 Helmet Wink
BTW: I think the Armchair General Tutorial by Jeffrey Paulding is  so good, it'se verything one needs.

Hope this helps!