• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Future titles
06-28-2016, 01:47 AM,
RE: Future titles
(06-27-2016, 11:00 PM)jmlima Wrote: It has been done before in paper:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1205...rd-edition

So it should not be that hard to do in 2016 PC terms...

Well I guess this would put the cat amongst the pigeons...

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20465.jpg]

Panzer Battles 3 is NOT Battles of Stalingrad...!!!   Helmet Wink

David
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2016, 04:38 PM,
i think you offer to much info.. is better put 20xx imagine is an unexpected delay in PzB3 and PzB4 cant be released in 201x  Rolling Eyes

The point is ... what means "battles of Stalingrad", city area and the combats around it in time and space or title cover the first step and last step in the campaign???

But well, this summer i am waiting a bone-leak of PzB3  Big Grin2
07-01-2016, 09:46 AM,
Thanks for the cat, David.  One of my favourite subjects and I look forward to seeing it given the full Panzer Battles deluxe treatment :-)

cheers Chris
07-01-2016, 09:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016, 11:27 PM by Wodin.)
So Battles for Stalingrad is not a PB title. So I presume it's a new title altogether. Personally I hope it is similar to say Streets of Stalingrad where the game from ground up is designed for urban fighting.
Send this user an email
07-02-2016, 03:32 AM,
(07-01-2016, 09:54 PM)Wodin Wrote: [quote pid='413185' dateline='1467330383']
So Battles for Stalingrad is not a PB title. So I presume it's a new title altogether. Personally I hope it is similar to say Streets of Stalingrad where the game from ground up is designed for urban fighting.

[/quote]

+1 on that.

One of the best gaming experiences I've had was in CMBB where they had a Stalingrad scenario with street to street fighting - militia in the windows dropping Molotov's down on German StuGs / Luftwaffe strafing troops as they got delivered by ferry across the river, etc ....

One of the best urban combat settings for sure .....
Send this user an email
07-04-2016, 11:28 PM,
(07-01-2016, 09:54 PM)Wodin Wrote: So Battles for Stalingrad is not a PB title. So I presume it's a new title altogether. Personally I hope it is similar to say Streets of Stalingrad where the game from ground up is designed for urban fighting.

SoS is a completely different scale from PB. Not only that, but there is an asymmetrical turn, etc.

Very doubtful it will be anything remotely similar.
07-05-2016, 02:57 PM,
(07-04-2016, 11:28 PM)jmlima Wrote:
(07-01-2016, 09:54 PM)Wodin Wrote: So Battles for Stalingrad is not a PB title. So I presume it's a new title altogether. Personally I hope it is similar to say Streets of Stalingrad where the game from ground up is designed for urban fighting.

SoS is a completely different scale from PB. Not only that, but there is an asymmetrical turn, etc.

Very doubtful it will be anything remotely similar.

I don't have Streets of Stalingrad so I can't comment on that.

As Wodin says it would need changes to represent urban fighting. We have a lot of ideas here, but we don't have time currently to implement them.

We're also thinking through the scale. Squad Battles is the right scale for house to house - Panzer Battles requires us to work out what were trying to represent at a higher scale. We are toying with things such as 125 metre hexes and co-existence in the same hex - but that maybe limited to different height levels to represent different floors and even cellars/sewers. Assaults in the same hex would only be triggered if units move into the same height level.

As you can see this will require programming effort, something we're light on currently. We're also aware that people view Kursk & Normandy as 'bunker fests' and we need a title away from that at least for the next round!  Helmet Wink

So yes, Stalingrad is on our radar (I personally love ASL Red Barricades) but we have a lot to achieve to get there...

David
07-05-2016, 09:19 PM,
Maybe as suggestion you can center in a Stalingrad title for PzB based in the battles before and post urban fight... the road to the city, the counterattacks... we can see romanian, italian and other exotic formations (soviet naval infantry, NVKD...) and in future add a DLC with the urban fight scens if engine can deal with them BUT i think is possible, i remember a scen for SSG Battlefront based on this using a ... wargame map???

The point in urban fight is for me more in have in same hex both sides units to simulate the close combat... this is usefull form SB level to PzC level or in strategic titles.

Well, this is future... first we need see the less future title hehehe.
07-05-2016, 10:42 PM,
(07-05-2016, 02:57 PM)Strela Wrote: ...
We're also thinking through the scale. Squad Battles is the right scale for house to house - Panzer Battles requires us to work out what were trying to represent at a higher scale. We are toying with things such as 125 metre hexes and co-existence in the same hex - but that maybe limited to different height levels to represent different floors and even cellars/sewers. Assaults in the same hex would only be triggered if units move into the same height level.

Actually, SB is bad for urban fighting exactly by the reason you gave. There are no multi-level / multi-hex buildings, which removes an entire dimension from urban combat.

Having said that, yes, PB is a bit far from being the ideal engine for an adequate simulation of urban combat at the proposed scale but, I would not think that you would want to start with different floors / levels. For example, Battle for Stalingrad (John Hill's one), quite simply uses :

Light structure
Heavy Structure
Fortified Structure
Special Structure

Some of those provide different bonuses and penalties, depending on the units' nationality. This is a much simpler yet elegant way of illustrating the different ways in which the two opponents made use of some of the buildings. SoS is even more simplified. I do appreciate they are at a different scale from PB, but (and what do I know...) in my view, this would be a better route to pursue, than to try to over-model. I do think that a slightly modified turn structure will be a requirement though, symmetrical turns do not work with a Stalingrad representation above squad level.
07-06-2016, 07:42 PM,
Well, in engine we have industrial hexes... and from other titles we can have individual buildings.... light and heavy structure could be represented by urban VS village for example.

Point is going to be in defensive structures... in urban fight they need work more like "obstacles" were stack units from both sides to fight their own close combat fight without players intervetion... something like in AGEOD games, leave units in an area and they fight using their stats and hex value as base... both sides lose soldiers or not BUT allways win fatigue when are in an hex with enemy units (player work is going to be cicle the units here mantein presure over enemy until one of the sides crack when cant send more fresh units to fight).

For me buildings with diferent levels are not really necesary because you can use terrain to represent this, is an easier way to do it.

Its summer time, we are not going to receive some kind of  Ice Cream ??? or PzB3 is so hot that is not possible  Big Grin