• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

new CM1 Hi-res graphics -> rocks
05-19-2016, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2016, 11:25 AM by Westland.)
RE: new CM1 Hi-res graphics -> rocks
@A Canadian Cat

CM1 makes more fun.There are more units and weapons.The control,the menu and victory conditions is better. In CM2 I must destroy all enemies or completely clean the green ugly field from enemy.Own and enemy losses bring no points.Many weapons in CM2 are useless.Example:AT & Infantry Guns,Reconnaissance vehicles,Infantry,light and medium armor/tanks.In CM1 I can effectively use almost all weapons.Forests provide no cover in CM2.The terrain parameters are very bad.All units are detected very quickly.Camouflaged armor are recognized through the smallest gaps of tree.

@onesixthsoldier

What problems do you have with CM1? Not running it?
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2016, 04:33 AM,
I am genuinely curious about what people like about CM1 that keeps them coming back. To be clear I have no interest or desire to get into a shoving match over which is better and why my feelings are wrong or your feelings are wrong. That is just not productive. I am just interested to hear what keeps people coming back.

(05-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Westland Wrote: CM1 makes more fun.There are more units and weapons.The control,the menu and victory conditions is better.

There are more units in CMBB that is for sure. So you like the variety of the units. Got it makes sense.

The control: what about the control is it that you like? Specific commands, the command delay?

Victory conditions: I take it you like the fact that they are determined based on a hysteric of who controls more of it. Is there more to it or does that cover it?

(05-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Westland Wrote: In CM1 I can effectively use almost all weapons.

I am also curious about this. Is there a simplicity of CM1 control that you like or is this a case of CM2 being frustrating?
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-28-2016, 01:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 02:13 AM by Westland.)
@ A Canadian Cat

Option: right mouse button opens command bar is missing in CMx2.

[Image: cuf8mkrc.jpg]

Command bar in CMx2 very awkward.Very backward.Reminiscent of C64 and Commodore Amiga games.

[Image: kcmd5q9q.jpg]

For example, infantry in CMx2 is useless.The die too fast and find no protection or coverage.AT Guns take a long time to build.Sometimes running 10 laps in a circle.
Important are only 4 weapons in CMx2. Panther,AA tank Wirbelwind,Sd.Kfz.251/9 Stummel and artillery.With this material you win every battle.
That there is no random maps more,works this tactic ever.
05-29-2016, 01:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2016, 01:46 AM by wiggum.)
(05-28-2016, 01:55 AM)Westland Wrote: For example, infantry in CMx2 is useless.The die too fast and find no protection or coverage.

+ they get detected WAY too easy.
This is the number one reason why i no longer play or buy any CMx2 game.
05-29-2016, 04:04 AM,
Ok so we are getting a picture of why you don't like the newer game . Got it.

I was kinda hoping to hear more about what people enjoy about the CM1 games.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
06-09-2016, 11:28 PM,
(05-19-2016, 12:06 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 07:25 PM)johnsilver Wrote: Agreed. Left around 2004, then came back and it's just as much fun now as it was back then.

I got one of the newer.. More 3D oriented CM's (CMBN), along with 2 of the expansion packs, but still think both CMBB and CMAK are superior products in my estimation.

Interesting.  Clearly there are still lots of people who play the CM1 games.  May I ask what you prefer in CMBB and CMAK over the newer CMBN?  I am genuinely curious how people feel.

Agree with Westland with cover being actually useful in both BB/AK as compared to CMBN. Ease of movement/control of units is much better in earlier CM 1 titles to.

Moving units inside of wooded areas in CM2 makes it a nightmare trying to keep up with them, even with the various mods available.. Either remove all except stumps, make treetops see thru. Battlefront (to me) put all the effort into making the game go h2h with other titles than taking what they had instead of improving the original purchase screen format for instance.