• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Isolated Units
12-27-2015, 01:48 AM,
RE: Isolated Units
Will there be more Information included into a updated manual about why and when a unit becomes Isolated ?
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2015, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2015, 05:54 AM by ComradeP.)
Quote:Disrupted engineers in a minefield will be isolated. Any non-engineer unit in a minefield will be isolated until they either leave the minefield or it is cleared. Adjacent units should not make any difference.

That said, if your seeing something different (other than the initial example given above), please let me know.

You're right, I forgot minefields never become penetrated in PB.

I think I've figured out what the problem is: units with a mine clear engineer unit next to them never become isolated in a minefield. I checked this in other scenarios in both BoN and BoKS, and it consistently happens. That doesn't explain how the engineer unit in the example became isolated, but it does explain why other units don't become isolated in minefield hexes.
12-27-2015, 06:55 AM,
(12-27-2015, 05:52 AM)ComradeP Wrote: I think I've figured out what the problem is: units with a mine clear engineer unit next to them never become isolated in a minefield. I checked this in other scenarios in both BoN and BoKS, and it consistently happens. That doesn't explain how the engineer unit in the example became isolated, but it does explain why other units don't become isolated in minefield hexes.

This might be some code mix up resulting from the isolation status check.  the Isolation status check should check for an adjacent engineer unit across a river hex side to provide supply for a unit ferried across a river.  This additional check for a river hex side might be missing in the PzB code ported from PzC.

Strela can have it checked out.  Non-engineer units should always be isolated in minefields.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-28-2015, 05:46 AM,
Can isolation basically be archived the same way as in PzC ?
Or is sneaking units behind the enemy lines not that effective in PzB ?
12-28-2015, 04:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM by ComradeP.)
Isolation only reduces morale, there are no low ammo or low fuel effects, so the overall effect is less than in PzC. You also usually have more units in the same area, so isolation through ZOC is less likely to occur.

ZOC-locking is also not possible, so isolation through ZOC doesn't mean near certain death like it does in PzC
12-29-2015, 12:01 PM,
(12-26-2015, 10:48 PM)Strela Wrote: Disrupted engineers in a minefield will be isolated. Any non-engineer unit in a minefield will be isolated until they either leave the minefield or it is cleared. Adjacent units should not make any difference.

That said, if your seeing something different (other than the initial example given above), please let me know.

David

I am revisiting the Getting Started Hill 192 scenario.

The unit shown in the red square moved into that hex at the end of turn one, which ended up having a minefield in it.

At the start of turn two, I took this screen shot.

As you can see, that unit is not Isolated, they are in "Ok" status.

Based on your above "quoted statement", this shouldn't be happening.  Is that correct?

[Image: Hill%20192%20-2.jpg]
12-29-2015, 04:02 PM,
Yes, that's the issue I reported: because there's a mine clear engineer unit adjacent to it (two in this case), it's not isolated, even though it should be because it's in a minefield.
12-29-2015, 07:52 PM,
(12-29-2015, 04:02 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Yes, that's the issue I reported: because there's a mine clear engineer unit adjacent to it (two in this case), it's not isolated, even though it should be because it's in a minefield.

Hi All,

I concur that I can emulate the issue as reported. It's not working as it's meant to. I'll document it for John and get it corrected for the first patch.

Thanks for picking up the issue.

David
01-05-2016, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM by FroBodine.)
I read through this thread, and had the exact same question as the original poster. Unless I missed it, nothing in this thread specifically answers why and how a unit becomes isolated.

What causes a unit to become isolated, please?

Is this in the manual somewhere? I could not find it. All I could find in the manual are the effects of being isolated, now how you actually become isolated.

Thanks very much!
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball
01-05-2016, 09:34 PM,
I agree. And I have checked the manual. I cannot see where it explains how a unit becomes isolated?

Players that have not played PzC games will not know this.