• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

World record for ATR penetration survival?
11-29-2015, 05:56 PM,
World record for ATR penetration survival?
Gents,

An opponent and I recently experienced 12 ATR penetrations on a German heavy armored car (75mm gun) and the vehicle survived - with only one crew casualty as far as I could tell. I don't have a ton of experience in CMx2 but it seems pretty amazing - is this a world record? = ) 

I've used ATR units mostly to scout and annoy light armor but have seen them knock out a Hetzer with just a side and posterior shot. I'm curious to hear any similar tales or comments on ATR utility - and I really do wonder if surviving 12 penetrations is a rare event.

Pontaeus
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2015, 12:37 AM,
RE: World record for ATR penetration survival?
Hi y'all. I'm the guy who took the 12 hits and am just as surprised as Pontaeus. Mind you after the first his the crew immediately bailed out. A morale effect I guess. First chance I got, I ran them back in and recrewed the vehicle and drove off taking hit after hit.

Mind you Pontaeus, what you don't see and I do, is the list of damage to my vehicle.
Veritas et Equitas
11-30-2015, 03:02 AM,
(11-30-2015, 12:37 AM)Kandu Wrote: Hi y'all. I'm the guy who took the 12 hits and am just as surprised as Pontaeus. Mind you after the first his the crew immediately bailed out. A morale effect I guess. First chance I got, I ran them back in and recrewed the vehicle and drove off taking hit after hit.

Mind you Pontaeus, what you don't see and I do, is the list of damage to my vehicle.

Kandu - you'll have to let me know what got damaged when we are finished. So far it looks like just damage to the A/C, 8-track, and chrome Valentino hubcaps? Damage must be minimal as that armored car has been able to fire its main gun seconds after your crew re-mounted (under heavy fire from apparently vodka-impaired riflemen) and drive off.
12-01-2015, 09:09 PM,
The behind-armor effect of the AT rifles is awful, so it can take several penetrating hits before you disable a vehicle. I would say that AC which survived 12 hits is a lucky AC, but i'm not terribly surprised to hear it either :) I'm more surprised to hear about the Hetzer you killed with the ATR, now - despite it having only 30mm of side armor (IIRC) - i'd say that was an extremely lucky shoot Big Grin
Send this user an email
12-02-2015, 06:14 AM,
(12-01-2015, 09:09 PM)raz_atoth Wrote: The behind-armor effect of the AT rifles is awful, so it can take several penetrating hits before you disable a vehicle. I would say that AC which survived 12 hits is a lucky AC, but i'm not terribly surprised to hear it either :) I'm more surprised to hear about the Hetzer you killed with the ATR, now - despite it having only 30mm of side armor (IIRC) - i'd say that was an extremely lucky shoot Big Grin

Good point - I actually didn't brew up the Hetzer - just immobilized it. Since it was a night scenario and there's no turret on the Hetzer I considered it "killed." It took two shots and the ATR team was in some bushes about 5m away for the first and maybe 15m away for the second hit in the rear as I recall.  I did get lucky!

BTW - I like the festive holiday lettering you've provided for the site. You guys are great! Thanks for providing such a great community platform for wargaming!
12-12-2015, 07:55 AM,
Im playing morning coffee and my t-90's seem to be mounted with these AT rifles
"Acceptance is the path to true wisdom" - Unknown
12-13-2015, 04:35 AM,
(12-12-2015, 07:55 AM)Panzermeister Wrote: Im playing morning coffee and my t-90's seem to be mounted with these AT rifles

Not quite. What you're seeing there (i think) are AT-11 ATGMs (anti-tank guided missiles). Which is quite a different beast than the Anti-Tank Rifles used during WW2.

[Image: Soviet_PTRD_1941.jpg]
Send this user an email
12-14-2015, 02:40 AM,
I know i was being sarcastic cause they are largly ineffective. they just ricocette off abrams lol.
12-14-2015, 04:02 AM,
Lol. I guess i should have spotted the sarcasm, especially since there are no T-90s in Morning Coffee, just T-72s Big Grin

But yes, on a more serious note, everything a T90 can throw frontally at an Abrams, will, at best, just scratch it's paint. So, don't try this at home unless with a clear, side shoot ;)
Send this user an email
12-14-2015, 04:49 AM,
Correction, First Clash =D. 2 Abrams vs. 10 t-90's is not enough or future referance lol.