• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

defensive posture
11-22-2016, 03:24 AM,
RE: defensive posture
Let me correct one thing, the skirmishers "screening" ability works only if they are in a hex where the line of fire runs through. That gives -20%.
But if the skirmishers are in the same hex and even if at the top there is no such penalty.
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2016, 03:34 AM,
My experience is that in a melee, skirmishers in the defending stack, if on top, take more of a hit than a formed unit. Is that true?
11-22-2016, 04:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2016, 04:20 AM by BigDuke66.)
Likely, the rules for skirmishers are that they take just 1/5 of the normal damage if the stacking in their hex is below 1/8 of the max stacking limit, obviously with a formed battalion in the same hex you are likely above the 1/8 mark and by that the skirmishers take normal damage.
If and how the damage in a melee is split between the units in a hex is unclear to me, but I guess the damage is proportional to the size of the unit.
11-22-2016, 04:26 AM,
Thanks. Yes, that makes sense.
12-04-2016, 01:47 AM,
Late seeing your post, Havoc - but it's very helpful, especially your guidance as to how to put together a nice mixed line. Many thanks!

Peter
12-08-2016, 12:52 AM,
In fact, any chance of you posting a pic, Havoc, demonstrating an ideal defensive line, as described?

Peter
12-12-2016, 03:36 AM,
(12-08-2016, 12:52 AM)phoenix Wrote: In fact, any chance of you posting a pic, Havoc, demonstrating an ideal defensive line, as described?

Peter

There isn't an ideal defensive line as each situation and available terrain will dictate.  That said, I've attached some very simplistic set ups with few pieces as a flat defense (def 1) and a hill (def 2).  You might choose to have the tactical reserve battalions in line for better firepower against units that exploit break your main line to reach your guns, but then their ability to move up to counter will be effected. Cavalry can penetrate this line and reach the guns, but they will pay a price and will be disrupted in the final melee.

If you are outgunned by artillery, reverse slope is not a bad option, with your battalions just below the contour line and skirmishers above to "see" and placing your available batteries a few hexes back with a clear shot at the crest.

Light guns are generally best 1-2 hexes behind the line, as their range is only 7-9 hexes.  Heavier guns with 11-15 you can stage farther back on hills.  In flat environments, you will be forced to keep clear firing lanes for your guns to be effective.  I will stack batteries with infantry in the first line if I can place them in villages, woods, or behind a hedge or wall.

Use skirmishers in the hexes in front of your line to force your opponent to use battalions to clear a path to your line. Cover screening skirmishers in the open with ZOC or one cavalry squadron could potentially "ride the line" and wipe out a whole row of them. 

Lanes between your battalions is often helpful for cavalry to counter charge without having to move battalions to make a hole and draw fire.  I tend to try to "mask" my cavalry by placing them behind guns, reserves or terrain to prevent them from drawing artillery fire that may disrupt them and prevent counter charges.  Also, breaking them down into squadrons prevents one hit from a gun battery from disrupting the whole formation.

All of this is obviously IMO, but I hope this helps.

Attached Files
.png   def 2.png (Size: 143.92 KB / Downloads: 242)
.png   def 1.png (Size: 165.12 KB / Downloads: 211)
12-12-2016, 04:27 AM,
(11-22-2016, 03:24 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Let me correct one thing, the skirmishers "screening" ability works only if they are in a hex where the line of fire runs through. That gives -20%.
But if the skirmishers are in the same hex and even if at the top there is no such penalty.

I don't agree.  My observations from the games I've played indicate that there is a bonus for having a skirmisher in the hex on top of a battalion.  The rules state that fire must pass through the skirmisher's hex, not what hex it is in.  If the skirmisher is in "front" of the battalion, the fire is passing through.  If this is wrong, please share the game rule or design notes that state this.
12-12-2016, 04:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016, 04:54 AM by BigDuke66.)
Simply testing proved it.
Here you see a Russian unit firing on a french regiment with French skirmishers in the same hex as the target.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4478]

And here you see a Russian unit firing on a French regiment where the skirmishers are in front of the target hex.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4477]

Attached Files
.jpg   Test Skirmisher in Hex in front of target.jpg (Size: 66.35 KB / Downloads: 370)
.jpg   Test Skirmisher in same Hex as target.jpg (Size: 70.58 KB / Downloads: 331)
12-12-2016, 07:33 AM,
(12-12-2016, 04:50 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Simply testing proved it.
Here you see a Russian unit firing on a french regiment with French skirmishers in the same hex as the target.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4478]

And here you see a Russian unit firing on a French regiment where the skirmishers are in front of the target hex.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4477]
I don't play with the fire report on.  Interesting.  All theses years I've just always observed better results when fired upon when skirmishers are on top than without.  Must be a coincidence then.