• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

defensive posture
11-05-2015, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015, 11:46 PM by phoenix.)
defensive posture
Quick beginner question - if you know an infantry unit is going to be meleed next go what's its best formation for defence - line or column?

Thanks

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM,
RE: defensive posture
I'd say column. It has more of a defensive bonus than a line. And when disordered it is easier to move than a line. A line packs a punch in defensive fire to be sure, but you can't guarantee it will fire with ADF checked.

Of course, changing formation in the face of the enemy may lead to disorder, or even rout.

Oh and a little known point. Stack a skirmisher with your unit. With luck, if your unit is attacked in flank, the skirmisher will rotate and fire at the attacker. If so, the flank melee bonus of the attacker is eliminated.
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM,
(11-05-2015, 11:45 PM)phoenix Wrote: Quick beginner question - if you know an infantry unit is going to be meleed next go what's its best formation for defence - line or column?

Thanks

Peter

It sort of depends on the side - for most sides it is probably going to be column, unless you are playing as the British, and then that side is probably better in line.

That is just a one on one type answer - however in most battles it is going to depend on what you have on your battle line, as well as what terrain that you are in.  In other words if you are in a particularly strong position (with height advantage or other terrain advantages), with supporting artillery, it may not matter.  Plus if you have a move before hand and don't want to get meleed -and can throw some skirmishers out there - you can prevent being meleed.

My own personal preference is more about focusing on a battle line as opposed to any single position - maybe it might even be possible to sucker your opponent into exposing their own flank to your cavalry.

But generally -probably column formation -but you are also a bigger target for your opponent's fire combat.
Send this user an email
11-06-2015, 08:07 PM,
Very helpful, both. Many thanks!

The skirmisher tip also very useful, agmoss99.

Peter
11-07-2015, 02:48 AM,
(11-06-2015, 07:59 PM)agmoss99 Wrote: I'd say column. It has more of a defensive bonus than a line. And when disordered it is easier to move than a line. A line packs a punch in defensive fire to be sure, but you can't guarantee it will fire with ADF checked.

Of course, changing formation in the face of the enemy may lead to disorder, or even rout.

Oh and a little known point. Stack a skirmisher with your unit. With luck, if your unit is attacked in flank, the skirmisher will rotate and fire at the attacker. If so, the flank melee bonus of the attacker is eliminated.

Are there other benefits to stacking a skirmisher with your unit? Do they deflect ADF at all?
11-09-2015, 07:14 PM,
I'm not sure but I think skirmishers do deflect fire from the main unit. In melee it's the skirmisher in the stack that loses more men than the formed unit.
11-12-2016, 10:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2016, 10:25 PM by phoenix.)
Long after this question, can I add a supplementary?

Is it best to melee in column or line? Does the answer differ depending on whether your defending opponent is in line or column formation?

Cheers,

Peter
11-13-2016, 06:52 PM,
Melee in column. Always. Except of course if the enemy unit is routed and isolated. Attacking in line is more likely to fail with heavy casualties. Even meleeing skirmishers in line is costly.
11-14-2016, 03:07 AM,
Thanks.
11-22-2016, 01:36 AM,
(11-05-2015, 11:45 PM)phoenix Wrote: Quick beginner question - if you know an infantry unit is going to be meleed next go what's its best formation for defence - line or column?

Thanks

Peter

If it is a large battalion, it may be better to leave it in line if it is already so.  Line will give it maximum firepower in it's defensive fire and final fire before melee.  This can cause the attacking battalion(s) to disrupt and reduce their melee strength.  This is especially so if your battalion is in cover like a village or woods.  As someone else stated, changing formation in close proximity to the enemy may cause your unit to disrupt or route.  Defending in column gives you a better modifier for melee, but exposes your unit to harsher cannon and musket results.  Also, a line unit that is pushed back, still faces the hex lost, battalions in column end up facing away and are subject to defensive fire to simply turn them around.

In a position that I will be remaining in a "hold" type posture, I prefer to have a series of battalions in line spaced by one hex, my lighter guns one or two hexes back with clear LOS between the battalions, with battalions in column with or next to the guns.  This allows you to hammer approaching enemy battalions without exposing your guns to immediate assault and provides a cluster of reserve battalions for a counter.

As the attacking player, you want to threaten melee to force the enemy into column (or square if threatening with cavalry) so your guns can pound them.  Sometimes the threat is better than the attack.  Pound them for a few turns until they start to disrupt, route, or try to pull back, then hit'm.

Another thing about skirmishers and stacking.  A stack of units has a hierarchy. Top unit is the "front" unit, so always put the skirmisher on top to benefit from it's "screening" ability for fire.  If you are going to play a scenario where you are mostly defending against an attack, insist on the optional rules for "column pass through fire" and "target density"; these will ensure that massed battalions assaulting your position pay a realistic price in the face of massed cannon and defensive fire.