• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

defensive posture
12-12-2016, 06:00 PM,
RE: defensive posture
Interesting. My observations were the same as Havoc. And certainly in melee the skirmisher takes a bigger hit.
Looks like testing disproves the observation. In the Matrix/Battleground system there is a -1 modifyer if a skirmisher is in adjacent intervening hex, but not if stacked in the same hex as the target.
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2016, 02:15 AM,
Well question is if optional rules like column passthrough fire do something, I still don't now how the fire is spread and/or scaled to other units with that rule. Same counts for melee as you attack a hex and not a specific unit, how is the melee damage spread?

One thing has to be considered, skirmisher stacked with a formed unit are likely unable to benefit from the usual modifiers:
- If Skirmisher and total stacking in hex is not above 1/8 of maximum stacking they just receive 25% of the normal Fire Value.
- Skirmishers defending in melee against non-Skirmisher attackers(only if defenders stacking is below 1/8 of the maximum stacking limit in the target hex)the skirmisher gets 1/5 losses of the normal value.
The 1/8 stacking limit is usually 225 men but a skirmisher unit with a battalion together in a hex is surely bigger than that.
So the skirmishers are treated as a normal unit and get normal fire value and normal melee losses, maybe that sucks away damage that the battalion usually would have gotten.
12-13-2016, 03:06 AM,
Certainly some good points to consider there
12-14-2016, 09:37 PM,
This was helpful as I still struggle to understand the value of skirmishers in these games. I know the Napoleonics are very nuanced but in most cases I find myself wondering why I deployed them in the first place since they don't seem to add much benefit beyond a few limited circumstances.
12-15-2016, 12:34 AM,
+1 I have only ever deployed them to keep units away from mine (screen cannon from cavalry, for instance) and this also seems to be what is suggested here - defensive uses.
12-15-2016, 12:44 AM,
Thanks for the notes and pics, Havoc. Very helpful. I wish I could ever have time to get my units into such orderly lines though....

Is the gap between the line units always impassable (as a zoc) to attacking units, or does that depend on whether you have the weak zoc option checked or not?

Peter
01-03-2017, 03:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 03:38 AM by Sgt_Rock.)
I prefer to defend in LINE formation. Why? Because if the unit is defeated then it retreats facing the enemy.

The chances of recovery from Disorder are the same for a Disordered line or column ... and the unit still fills an important place on the line thus denying the enemy the opportunity of moving past it. Its ZOC is still projecting forward .... Tip: if you are going to deploy any brigade in this series always have reserves! So if the line gets defeated (and doesnt rout) then you can counter attack with fresh units, still fire the Line at a better fire rate at the attackers, then attack them and send THEM packing! (nods)

Follow on cavalry charges do not hit the unit in flank that way too. A column retreats with its tail facing the enemy. If it just got hit by cavalry and you have the multiple cavalry melee rule enabled then they can hit the column again this time with the flank bonus.
01-03-2017, 08:13 AM,
Happy New Year!
And thanks for noting the benefit of facing. I thought a lot about line vs. column but somehow the facing when retreating always slip my attention.