• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Need advice about PC games
10-31-2015, 07:18 AM,
RE: Need advice about PC games
Amazing mod, including alt scenarios! I suppose it works with JSGME?

Another question:

Are Smolensk scenarios "more or less" balanced or extremely historical? I consider it essential for PBEM games.
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2015, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2015, 09:35 PM by Kool Kat.)
(10-31-2015, 07:18 AM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: Amazing mod, including alt scenarios! I suppose it works with JSGME?

Another question:

Are Smolensk scenarios "more or less" balanced or extremely historical? I consider it essential for PBEM games.

Again... I recommend that you review the reported Smolensk ladder games!  Big Grin

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/pzc-...os&game=13

Check the rating (ex. higher numbers 7,8,9 are better then 1,2,3) and the number in parenthesis (ex. number of players who rated their matches) and number of reported games. Also review the Wins % (1st side wins - Draws - 2nd side wins).

Now, let's look at a reported Smolensk game example.

Desolate Dump on the Desna

Rating: 6.8(111)
Games: 123
Wins %: 72-5-23

Rating: The 6.8 rating indicates an above average game in terms of entertainment and challenge. The 111 player rated matches is a large pool and helps validate that this rating is pretty accurate. On the flip side, if this scenario had only 2 reported player ratings, then the rating would be suspect and not as reliable as a 100+ one.

Games: The 123 reported games shows total number of completed ladder games (rated and not rated) and is a good indication of the popularity and accuracy of the ratings for this scenario title.

Wins %: These numbers give an indication of the "balance" for a scenario. The 72-5-23 shows that the 1st Side (Axis) won 72 of the reported matches, there were 5 Draws, and the 2nd Side (Allies) won 23 of the reported matches. So, while this scenario is considered a popular one with players, the Axis player wins over 3 times more matches then the Allied player. Therefore, this scenario would NOT be an appropriate choice if players are looking for a "balanced" PBeM scenario.

These are the reported ladder game numbers that I review before selecting scenarios to play against a human opponent.  Helmet Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-31-2015, 09:43 PM,
Thanks for the explanation Mike. The ladder games are a complete tool! I´ll take my time to decide.
10-31-2015, 10:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2015, 10:56 PM by Kool Kat.)
(10-31-2015, 09:43 PM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: Thanks for the explanation Mike. The ladder games are a complete tool! I´ll take my time to decide.

I caution not to make your PzC title purchase overly complicated or "frozen" by "decision paralysis!" Wink

NET - Pick a favorite theater and time frame. Search available titles. Pull the trigger on the purchase and start enjoying hours of fun and exciting operational game play!  Helmet Smile

Here's my decision making process when I purchased my first PzC title - Sicily 43 several months ago.

(1.) Decide on favorite theater (Eastern, Western, or Mediterranean)

(2.) Decide on preferred early, mid, or late war time frame.

(3.) Search available titles that meet your criteria.

(4.) Purchase and download PzC title.

(5.) Load favorite mods.

(6.) Back-up game with installed mods on a CD. (Much easier to restore game title installed with favorite mods from a CD if original copy gets corrupted.)

(7.) Join the TOC Ladder and advertise for PBeM opponents on the Tiller Operational Campaigns (TOC) Forum - that's this one!  Wink Many players own several different titles, so finding an opponent for a game is usually easy.

(8.) Enjoy! Note - be prepared to lose your first PBeM matches to more experienced PzC vets... but once you grasp both the fundamentals and nuances of play, your wins will happen too!

So, for me. I had little knowledge of the Mediterranean theater, was interested in learning more about the campaign in Sicily and decided to purchase Sicily 43. I played around with various mods, settled on the ones I liked and then backed up my Sicily 43 game copy with installed modes on a CD. I advertised on the TOC Forum and within 24 hours found PBeM opponents. I promptly lost my first 2 matches out of the gate, but then quickly started to grasp the game fundamentals and play nuances. My wins came in and I discovered an interest in playing the larger (100+ turn campaigns). I'm happily engaged in "The Dry Feet Campaign" (172 turns) Sicily 43 scenario with Sean (The Bishop)! Big Grin 

I plan to purchase my next PzC title - Salerno 43 in the near future!  Helmet Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-02-2015, 01:33 AM,
Yes, you gave me complete information. At the moment I´m very busy, furthermore I´m playing an email game with a friend, once I have finished I will join the TOC ladder. I tend to send 1 turn/day and I don´t like to play two games at the same time. 

I was about to be "frozen", however think I´m gonna buy Kharkow´43. I really love the east front in 1943.

Thanks again, Mike!  Helmet Wink
11-02-2015, 11:11 AM,
(11-02-2015, 01:33 AM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: Yes, you gave me complete information. At the moment I´m very busy, furthermore I´m playing an email game with a friend, once I have finished I will join the TOC ladder. I tend to send 1 turn/day and I don´t like to play two games at the same time. 

I was about to be "frozen", however think I´m gonna buy Kharkow´43. I really love the east front in 1943.

Thanks again, Mike!  Helmet Wink

Pepe Botijo,

Thank you for buying my game!!   Helmet Wink

Please note there is a complete official graphics mod (unless John had updated the latest download) included with the latest patch from here;  http://www.johntillersoftware.com/update...03_upd.exe

You can also see what the update looks like here in a thread at this forum; https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=68320

David
11-02-2015, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015, 04:11 PM by ComradeP.)
It's worth noting that the older PzC games like Smolensk that were recently re-released for mobile devices now have Panzer Battles-standard terrain graphics, which offer a substantial improvement over the original terrain graphics so terrain graphic mods may not be necessary.

The unit graphics are still the same as at release judging by the screenshots so a graphic mod for those might be a good idea if you want prettier images to look at in the unit information box.
11-02-2015, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM by Pepe Botijo.)
David, the graphics mods in the 1.03 version are amazing. Deafinitely, this is my game! I guess no more graphics mods are neccesary since the NATO symbols (by Jison) are included. If you guys think another mod would be cool for this game, please let me know. Not sure, but I suppose mods are JSGME compatible.
11-03-2015, 05:05 AM,
JSGME works great with JTS games.

As long as you set things up properly, you won't have any issue using JSGME.

I've been using it for years.