• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The LAST PANZER CAMPAIGNS GAME?
12-31-2015, 06:14 PM,
RE: The LAST PANZER CAMPAIGNS GAME?
It takes a team (see the credits listing in the games) over a year or more in most cases to put together the games you have today in PzC.

Know the number of man hours it takes, I seriously doubt anyone would just give away a PzC game if they could make it themselves up to the current quality standards. I think two to four years for one guy working alone could do it.

But then the game would suffer somewhat from the myoptic vision of a single person instead having the richness these games currently have from a collaboration of a larger team of individuals.

Bottom line, would you work for nothing in your current occupation, even if it is just a sideline to your day job? I think it is naive to think people will not sell what they create regardless of the quality. That is how the global market of the internet works in my experience.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM,
I understand and agree that it is a massive effort to put together the full PzC games, and that's why I don't think anyone will ever replicate them for free. And I don't think they should be able to sell them--you could prevent them from selling the games by the licensing agreement under which the map editor is sold. For instance, have you ever seen anyone try to sell a mod for a game (unless cooperating with the game publisher)? I have not.

But again, the fact that no one will create a huge, full Panzer Campaigns game does not mean that they could not or would not create smaller, but nonetheless interesting and enjoyable battles in any number of wars. I don't think that such a smaller game would "suffer...from the myoptic vision of a single person instead having the richness these games currently have from a collaboration of a larger team of individuals"--indeed, I think that people working on a number of these small projects could produce some very interesting stuff.
12-31-2015, 09:53 PM,
I may be wrong but from what I have read it seems to me a lot of the team have left John Tiller Software who produced Panzer Campaigns and the company is down to one or two individuals now. If this is correct then it does not bode well to further releases of this game.

Cheers,

Gordon
12-31-2015, 10:35 PM,
I don't think they've left, but at least a few of the guys are now focusing on Panzer Battles rather than Panzer Campaigns; given that apparently the newest release of Panzer Battles was JTS' best-selling release, I'm not sure that they'll rush back to Panzer Campaigns in the near future.

I still haven't played all of the PzC games that I have, so am not in a huge hurry for more games, but I would think that the series should do something fairly soon to keep from dropping completely off players' radar.
01-05-2016, 07:57 AM,
Hi all

Well I am in the brilliant position of only just discovering this great series of games via graveyards who were discussing the new PB game release. I am enjoying that but having only just tried the demo of Mius and read the great WARs on here of epic Kursk Campaigns it is obvious that this is the series I have missed out on.

It is like being a kid on Christmas Eve all over again ! Yes... ok I am 50 but you get the point. So now do I get Sicily or Kharkov first....?

Great shame no more being done but I have a lot to try yet !
01-05-2016, 09:31 AM,
(01-05-2016, 07:57 AM)devoncop Wrote: Hi all

Well I am in the brilliant position of only just discovering this great series of games via graveyards who were discussing the new PB game release. I am enjoying that but having only just tried the demo of Mius and read the great WARs on here of epic Kursk Campaigns it is obvious that this is the series I have missed out on.

It is like being a kid on Christmas Eve all over again ! Yes... ok I am 50 but you get the point. So now do I get Sicily or Kharkov first....?

Great shame no more being done but I have a lot to try  yet !

I prefer the Eastern Front over the Western pick a game that interest you.
01-05-2016, 04:06 PM,
There are quite a few threads on this forum about which game is "the best", or favorites. As landser says, best to pick a battle which you find interesting. If you're interested in PBEM play, you can check here (somewhere) about which games have been played the most.

Personally my favorite is Smolensk, but lots of the others are good too. Personally I don't like the winter games as much because, due to the weather, the games tend to feature a fair bit of plodding around in the snow.
01-06-2016, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 01:55 AM by devoncop.)
Hi both

Thanks for the advice. Have had a bit of a think and lots of research and have bought K43 given the opportunity for manoeuvre as well as a huge scale which attracts me. The need to use the roads and railways in shocking weather and the vital role of recon really appeals.

Smolensk and Sicily are likely to follow quickly . I also quite fancy Sealion which is a surprise as I usually hate hypotheticals but the area of operations and the familiarity of the units and geography is calling me !

So far have RTFM and done the introductory scenario of Kursk and it is obvious the system simply works. HPS could sell a lot more with better marketing I would suggest.

Now off to tackle my first scenario proper.....
01-06-2016, 05:04 AM,
Maybe it would be better to try creating combined scenarios. I know they would be larger and longer, but there are a couple I think would be great, especially for devoted team games.

A total North African campaign from East Africa, to the Middle East and on from Egypt to Tunisia and Torch. Make the same one, but add what ifs like more troops brought forward at a cost of victory points.

Italy from the toe to the Po.

Add a major scenario to Normandy to also cover all of France to include Dragoon and the drive up to Market Garden.

Many possibilities out there. Maybe poll how many might be interested and would they buy them at like 10 bucks a major scenario. But try and get responses from most of the people at the Blitz.

Just an idea.
01-06-2016, 06:59 AM,
(12-31-2015, 10:35 PM)76mm Wrote: I don't think they've left, but at least a few of the guys are now focusing on Panzer Battles rather than Panzer Campaigns; given that apparently the newest release of Panzer Battles was JTS' best-selling release, I'm not sure that they'll rush back to Panzer Campaigns in the near future.  

I still haven't played all of the PzC games that I have, so am not in a huge hurry for more games, but I would think that the series should do something fairly soon to keep from dropping completely off players' radar.

When bread is unavailable for a year or two you buy something similar. that's why the Panzer Battles sales are on a roll.