• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

13 Axis-2 Draws-1 Allied=Well Balanced scenario?
09-19-2015, 11:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 11:22 PM by Bullman.)
13 Axis-2 Draws-1 Allied=Well Balanced scenario?
Hi,

Was browsing the CMBN scenario listings and checked out a scenario that I have played H2H that resulted in a Total Axis Victory.

Carbide Carbide (https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/comb...io&id=3605)

The stats tell us that of the 16 games recorded, there have been 13 Axis wins : 2 Draws : 1 Allied wins.  Of those 13 axis wins, 9 have been Total Victories.

There are six comments at this page and all but one list the game under "Balance" as "Well Balanced" (the other lists it as "Slightly Pro Axis").

Why have people been rating the balance of this scenario as "Well Balanced", when, all other things being equal, it seems the scenario is anything but well balanced?
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2015, 05:05 AM,
RE: 13 Axis-2 Draws-1 Allied=Well Balanced scenario?
Because only the axis players are reporting the balance (and they want to find players to play the other side??) :)

Also could depend on how many of these Total victories were caused by allied player forfeiting the game - Axis player then reviews it as well-balanced because that's their true belief?
"But I don't want to see CM's code or any games code. That is like seeing your spouse and your love as hormones and neurons firing in various lobes on PET scans. Some things should just be enjoyed for what they are; and not analyzed any further.
09-22-2015, 12:02 AM,
Or they felt like they nearly lost and the game could have gone either way. Everyone who reports is doing based on their experience. Now that both sides get a reminder about commenting / rating a scenario perhaps this will change. Bottom line I would judge a scenario's balance by looking at a samples size of results not on people's comments (which clearly you are doing).
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
09-22-2015, 06:03 AM,
Good points made by "A Canadian Cat", the problem is wildly exagerated by the fact that only 6 out of 26 players rated the scenario's balance.

Hopefully this will improve as MORE players rate the scenario balance - hint/hint

Technical question - is it possible for players to go BACK in and rate scenario balance a long time after they have reported the game?  If so could this be publicised to encourage players to go back and rate scenarios.

On the Balance question - it can be difficult to rate the balance of a scenario if you habve only played it from one side, especially if you haven't opened it in the scenario editor (due to time constraints/tech worreis/desire to play it again) and assessed it from BOTH sides.
"But I don't want to see CM's code or any games code. That is like seeing your spouse and your love as hormones and neurons firing in various lobes on PET scans. Some things should just be enjoyed for what they are; and not analyzed any further.
09-22-2015, 12:59 PM,
I for one pretty much ignore the user ratings and use the stats when trying to determine if a scenario is balanced or not.

For starters, it's the victorious player who usually reports the game and rates the scenario. I'm not sure about you, but if i win, i tend to believe it's because of my tactical brilliance rather than my side having the advantage :) We introduced a feature where the other player gets an email inviting him to rate the scenario too, still, it's a recent feature and truth be told more often than not the second player won't spend a couple of minutes clicking on the link in the email and rating the scenario.

Second, it's really hard to tell (at least for me) if a scenario if balanced or not without playing with both sides, especially if one side is just slightly advantaged. There are a number of scenarios which i win and reported in all fairness as balanced, only to play the opposing side and find out it's not exactly as balanced as i initially though.
Send this user an email
09-22-2015, 01:00 PM,
(09-22-2015, 06:03 AM)zinzan1963 Wrote: Technical question - is it possible for players to go BACK in and rate scenario balance a long time after they have reported the game?  If so could this be publicised to encourage players to go back and rate scenarios.

No, not possible at the moment. You can rate the scenario a second time, but not modify a rating once you submitted it.
Send this user an email