• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MapMod incompatible with JTS PzC games ?
07-20-2015, 09:09 PM,
RE: MapMod incompatible with JTS PzC games ?
Any idea what did the 2.0 update do ?
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2015, 10:10 PM,
(07-20-2015, 09:09 PM)wiggum Wrote: Any idea what did the 2.0 update do ?

The change that affected MapMod the most was that the 2.0 update reduced the physical size of some vital bmp's, making the available space on them insufficient to accommodate the MapMod artwork.

Jison
Send this user an email
07-21-2015, 03:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015, 07:20 AM by Fog of War.)
(07-20-2015, 10:10 PM)Jison Wrote:

The change that affected MapMod the most was that the 2.0 update reduced the physical size of some vital bmp's, making the available space on them insufficient to accommodate the MapMod artwork.

Jison

I couldn`t contact you via your home page so I`ll ask here.

I think that most everyone who plays 2 D with your Map Mods with unit boxes and other features would agree that they have improved the now in many cases _very old _ PZC games graphics greatly.

Is there any hope we could see you do the same magic for the Tiller ACW and Napoleonic games ?

Some of the 2 D graphics and maps are simply horrendous in these now very old games. Surely they would give new legs to these old titles, and therefore renewed sales for JTS.

I am honestly amazed that the JTS guys aren`t beating your door down to do this for them.
07-21-2015, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015, 06:42 AM by Lowlander.)
I have lost the plot !!!.

This post is only about the various map tiles.

I run Moscow'42 Version 1.02 which is the latest JTS patch WITH Jison's Map mod for JTS versions which can be found on page three.
And yes I also use other parts of Jisons original Moscow'42 map mod.

Now I NEVER,NEVER,NEVER install a patch straight into any game, I always unzip into a temp folder which you can then browse thro and select the art you wish to retain.

However this should be a work around, BUT I DID NOT USE THIS INSTALL METHOD.
1,download and install John Tillers Moscow'42 version 1.02 patch.
2.download and install Jison's Moscow'42 map mod.
3, download and install Strela's Jison's map mod for JTS versions, found on page three in this forum.

Now if those in the know are moving the Panzer Campaign Series of games to the Panzer Battles graphics then I am out, the wallet will stay closed, l will take my cash elsewhere.

I ran a test, Jison's map tiles can be altered to work in both Squad Battles and Panzer Battles.
07-21-2015, 12:26 PM,
(07-21-2015, 06:32 AM)Lowlander Wrote: I have lost the plot !!!.

This post is only about the various map tiles.

I run Moscow'42 Version 1.02 which is the latest JTS patch WITH Jison's Map mod for JTS versions which can be found on page three.
And yes I also use other parts of Jisons original Moscow'42 map mod.

Now I NEVER,NEVER,NEVER install a patch straight into any game, I always unzip into a temp folder which you can then browse thro and select the art you wish to retain.

However this should be a work around, BUT I DID NOT USE THIS INSTALL METHOD.
1,download and install John Tillers Moscow'42 version 1.02 patch.
2.download and install Jison's Moscow'42 map mod.
3, download and install Strela's Jison's map mod for JTS versions, found on page three in this forum.

Now if those in the know are moving the Panzer Campaign Series of games to the Panzer Battles graphics then I am out, the wallet will stay closed, l will take my cash elsewhere.

I ran a test, Jison's map tiles can be altered to work in both Squad Battles and Panzer Battles.

Hi Lowlander,

I can see what the issue is. Give me till this evening (my time) to get a fix for you.

David
07-21-2015, 02:00 PM,
Lowlander,

Can you try this file and tell me if it fixes the issue you are seeing?

Link to updated JTS Mapmod fix

If so, I'll update the original thread.

You should be able to install Moscow '42, update with the 1.02 patch, put Jison's mapmod on and then overlay the attached (which should automatically go into the map directory).

Let me know how you go. Everyone else please wait for Lowlanders confirmation.

Thanks,

David
07-21-2015, 07:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2015, 01:47 AM by Lowlander.)
David,

I don't have and never had any issues with Moscow'42 as I always manually install patches etc.
THE GAME IS SUPERB, the Unit, Info and Map graphics are manually selected for my tastes, in other words, mix and match.

Thank you for all you excellent work.

OK, here we go,
I copied the game to a other location for this test.
I then installed the three files to the correct location in this order.

John Tiller Moscow'42 1.02 patch.
Jison's Moscow'42 Mapmod.
Strela's latest JTS Mapmod fix as found in the post above.

This is a screenshot of the result.

EDIT, see post 25 of this thread for screen shot.
07-21-2015, 10:20 PM,
(07-21-2015, 03:37 AM)Fog of War Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 10:10 PM)Jison Wrote:

Jison

I couldn`t contact you via your home page so I`ll ask here.

I think that most everyone who plays 2 D with your Map Mods with unit boxes and other features would agree that they have improved the now in many cases _very old _ PZC games graphics greatly.

Is there any hope we could see you do the same magic for the Tiller ACW and Napoleonic games ?

Some of the 2 D graphics and maps are simply horrendous in these now very old games. Surely they would give new legs to these old titles, and therefore renewed sales for JTS.

I am honestly amazed that the JTS guys aren`t beating your door down to do this for them.

You are very kind, Fog of War! Smile Well, 'you shall never say never' they say, so I wont, but what I can say is that I have no immediate plans to make anything for those series. So many things I would like to do - not only JTS stuff - and so little time... Propeller Hat

Jison
Send this user an email
07-21-2015, 11:28 PM,
Part of the issue is the 8 bit graphics and that is in the process of being addressed. I haven't done too much on that front myself, as it sort of becomes a point of prioritizing some things in a project.

David posts teasers in here, and the mods on SDC are along the same lines as showing what swapping out 24 bit graphics will do in NB/CWB. I haven't really messed around with the CWB material as much, as I need to redo the hex grid and then eventually the alt graphics, so it still kind of doesn't look as complete as say the NB mod does (I don't even know if that one is finalised yet ... I probably am not really going to do too much with it until I am ready to start that phase of the project that I am on. I'll write something up about the process maybe at that time ... it sort of depends upon how much free time I have between things (for all I know - I might not have much at all).

It isn't perfect, as if it were I would dearly love to work with png format instead of bmp, it's sort of technical, in that png allows for true transparency and you can do some great work with shadows that you can't really do on a bmp file (the shadows amount to alternating black pixels in bmp format ... sort of a fine checkerboard type effect.).

The really interesting thing to come along for my money, are Frank Mullins' 3d map files for Antietam, which demonstrate that a single graphic file can be used for a map. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect one of the issues with Frank's initial maps is that once they start getting into the bigger maps sizes the files are huge - much larger than any update that I have ever seen put out - I thought I saw one file of his come in at over a gb. It is some nice work, and demonstrates a lot of potential.

Mind you I have had the benefit of seeing some of Jison's other work for material other than JTS', so I know that he is far more than just a hex tile type artist... I don't even have Grigsby's Eastern front title but I do see how Jison has put those together. I am very happy to call him my mate, plus he puts up with my talking about hockey ( I think he started it though... ). Big Grin
Send this user an email
07-21-2015, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-21-2015, 11:45 PM by Strela.)
(07-21-2015, 07:59 PM)Lowlander Wrote: David,

I don't have and never had any issues with Moscow'42 as I always manually install patches etc.
THE GAME IS SUPERB, the Unit, Info and Map graphics are manually selected for my tastes, in other words, mix and match.

Thank you for all you excellent work.

OK, here we go,
I copied the game to a other location for this test.
I then installed the three files to the correct location in this order.

John Tiller Moscow'42 1.02 patch.
Jison's Moscow'42 Mapmod.
Strela's latest JTS Mapmod fix as found in the post above.

This is a screenshot of the result.

Hi Lowlander,

Thanks for posting the shot - that's the easiest thing for me to see if everything is ok.

All looks fine to me other than the new Nato box I put into the unit box/graphic. There is a minor clash with Jisons original unit box.

Other than that I think its fine.

Does the zoom in/out levels work ok?

Finally, you asked whether the Panzer Battles (PzB) graphics were becoming the default for Panzer Campaigns. Possibly for any game I release. That said, we now have a way to replace with Jison's mod if required. I spend a lot of time working with graphics and I believed the PzB ones were superior to the stock ones. That said, I am constantly tweaking and you never know what may happen between now and the next PzC release.

Thanks,

David