• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winter is Coming
12-23-2015, 05:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015, 05:54 AM by Dux Aetius. Edit Reason: it didn't provide my added text! )
RE: Winter is Coming
(12-11-2015, 12:03 PM)Dux Aetius Wrote: Jeff,

My opponents and I have finished our second round of games:

046.Bengtskar.scn - Through the Dark Waters
Rabbit (Russian)  - Dux Aetius (Finnish) = Rabbit (Rus) - MV

052.Riders of Kalevala #2.scn - Galloping Against the Monsters
Dux Aetius (Russian) - Kolc (Finnish) = Dux Aetius (Rus) - MV

Attached Files
.jpg   15z03.Winter War 'victory'.jpg (Size: 331.76 KB / Downloads: 4)
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE. [Death, Discworld] Dux Flavius Aetius )'(
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2015, 05:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM by Dux Aetius. Edit Reason: this system is really annoying! Now I need to attach the bloody jpeg to THIS message. )
So... the game that Rabbit and I had was a real nail-biter. Only, we found that it wasn't actually a nail-biter. Let me explain...

I was the Finnish player in THROUGH THE DARK WATERS. I had lost the lighthouse around turn 6, but I still had Finnish reinforcements coming to the island. They arrived and we proceeded to conduct a series of back-and-forth attacks & counterattacks.

I managed to get a foothold onto the buildings just above the lighthouse and on the final turn my men surprised both of us and pushed out the demoralized and badly bruised-up Russian commandos. I was elated!

However, that elation quickly melted when I noticed that the victory levels didn't change to my favor. Rabbit searched and found that this scenario had a (in my view) moronic victory condition: Lose the lighthouse and you've lost the game. It didnt' matter if the lighthouse was taken. So, while we both thought this was going down to the wire, it had already been decided on turn 6.

Bummer.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE. [Death, Discworld] Dux Flavius Aetius )'(
12-23-2015, 05:56 AM,
Again, here is the graphic for my latest note.  I'm not a big fan of this messaging system now.

Attached Files
.jpg   15z03.Winter War 'victory'.jpg (Size: 331.76 KB / Downloads: 8)
12-23-2015, 01:12 PM,
(12-23-2015, 05:54 AM)Dux Aetius Wrote: So... the game that Rabbit and I had was a real nail-biter.  Only, we found that it wasn't actually a nail-biter. Let me explain...

I was the Finnish player in THROUGH THE DARK WATERS.  I had lost the lighthouse around turn 6, but I still had Finnish reinforcements coming to the island.  They arrived and we proceeded to conduct a series of back-and-forth attacks & counterattacks.

I managed to get a foothold onto the buildings just above the lighthouse and on the final turn my men surprised both of us and pushed out the demoralized and badly bruised-up Russian commandos.  I was elated!  

However, that elation quickly melted when I noticed that the victory levels didn't change to my favor.  Rabbit searched and found that this scenario had a (in my view) moronic victory condition: Lose the lighthouse and you've lost the game.  It didnt' matter if the lighthouse was taken.  So, while we both thought this was going down to the wire, it had already been decided on turn 6.

Bummer.

I really enjoyed playing this scenario.  Trying to co-ordinate the Soviet pre-assault bombardments, using the planes to harass the Finnish relief force, destroy the lighthouse then embark the raiders to get them off the map, all in the time given was a challenge.  It required some good luck.  In one turn all my artillery strikes landed in the sea, making sushi.  The Finns can be really hard to push out of the lighthouse once roused to your presence.  BTW, the lighthouse will randomly search the sea as the Soviets approach using the defensive fire mechanism in this scenario.  I thought this was a clever design.

FWIW, the lighthouse VP location is a Capture objective.
[Image: Capture%20Objective.JPG]

The manual has a decent explanation.
"Capture – These objectives begin uncaptured and owned by the given side. If they are occupied by the opposing side, then they become owned by that side and their points are awarded to that side. After they are captured, the owning side does not have to occupy the hex to get the points. Capture Objectives cannot be recaptured or change back to the original owner."

A clue is in the scenario description.
"Encouraged by their success at Morgonland, the Russians decided to destroy Bengtskär lighthouse with a raid. The plan was based on an infiltration, destruction of the lighthouse, and retreat before Finns response."

This is just a Soviet raid to destroy the lighthouse, not capture and hold the island.
Hope that explains things a bit better.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-25-2015, 05:43 AM,
(12-23-2015, 05:54 AM)Dux Aetius Wrote: So... the game that Rabbit and I had was a real nail-biter.  Only, we found that it wasn't actually a nail-biter. Let me explain...

I was the Finnish player in THROUGH THE DARK WATERS.  I had lost the lighthouse around turn 6, but I still had Finnish reinforcements coming to the island.  They arrived and we proceeded to conduct a series of back-and-forth attacks & counterattacks.

I managed to get a foothold onto the buildings just above the lighthouse and on the final turn my men surprised both of us and pushed out the demoralized and badly bruised-up Russian commandos.  I was elated!  

However, that elation quickly melted when I noticed that the victory levels didn't change to my favor.  Rabbit searched and found that this scenario had a (in my view) moronic victory condition: Lose the lighthouse and you've lost the game.  It didnt' matter if the lighthouse was taken.  So, while we both thought this was going down to the wire, it had already been decided on turn 6.

Bummer.

Not recognizing the objective as a Capture was a huge oversight, and may have changed how you chose to defend it.  In both our games it took 12+ turns for both of us to finally get that objective.  Industrial hexes favor the defender heavily, and the way the terrain is laid out, they can't be pushed off heading east, so it turned into a last stand scenario, even with Demoralized troops.  Brutal.  I'm surprised you lost it in 6, although Rabbit, in my estimation, is one of the best SB players out there.  If anyone would be able to find an efficient way to take an objective, he would.

The other thing that many people overlook is the number of victory points floating out there in the water.  More than enough to turn the tide even after losing the lighthouse.

This is a winnable scenario for the Finns, but attention to detail is crucial.  Luck, as always, plays a big role as well.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
02-22-2016, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 12:48 PM by Jeff Conner.)
Gentlemen

It is three weeks into February.  There are still three games unreported from Round Two.  They are:

Landser 34 versus Embis - Dog Soldier found this game result for me - Minor Victory for Landser34

Rabbit versus Kolc

Solyom2 versus Kritterpaw

Now it is entirely possible and probably likely, that I missed some of these games when they were reported.  If so, would you please email me and let me know.  I intend to close Round Two at the end of the month and start the Knockout Stages.  If a Round Two game has not been completed, no points will be awarded to either player.  If you do not want to/can not continue the tournament, please let me know.  Remember, there are prizes for the winner and for a randomly selected player that finishes the tournament, so there is some incentive to continue through the cold nights of Winter War.

Jeff Conner - Tournament Czar
02-26-2016, 03:38 AM,
Rabbit and I finished our last game with a Major Victory to Rabbit.

Kolc
04-03-2016, 08:58 AM,
(02-22-2016, 03:41 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Gentlemen

It is three weeks into February.  There are still three games unreported from Round Two.  They are:

Landser 34 versus Embis - Dog Soldier found this game result for me - Minor Victory for Landser34

Rabbit versus Kolc

Solyom2 versus Kritterpaw

Now it is entirely possible and probably likely, that I missed some of these games when they were reported.  If so, would you please email me and let me know.  I intend to close Round Two at the end of the month and start the Knockout Stages.  If a Round Two game has not been completed, no points will be awarded to either player.  If you do not want to/can not continue the tournament, please let me know.  Remember, there are prizes for the winner and for a randomly selected player that finishes the tournament, so there is some incentive to continue through the cold nights of Winter War.

Jeff Conner - Tournament Czar

Sorry this end has taken a loooooong time. Given previous scoring (abject failures) is apt I have missed points. Even though this last one was a victory.
04-04-2016, 02:41 AM,
Gentlemen

The pairings for the first round of the Knockout Stage are posted on the Competition page. I apologize for taking so long to get this up, but as always, real life comes first. The format will continue in the soccer (football) theme. You will play a pair of mirror games of the scenario: 51. Riders of Kalevala #1, "The Borders Are Burning." Scoring for the knockout stages will be the same as before, three points for a win, one point for a draw. Ties will be determined by number of major victories, points and lastly a random draw.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jeff
04-04-2016, 03:49 AM,
Jeff and Kritterpaw I will be in Germany this week so I won't be able to start my knockout game until next week.