• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winter is Coming
06-22-2015, 03:26 AM,
News  Winter is Coming
Gentlemen

I have randomly, well mostly randomly, split the participants in the Winter War Tournament into four groups. They should be posted on the Competitions tab before I head off to the gym. I have also stolen Laz's idea (I get to do things like that) and called the tournament Winter is Coming. Each participant will play home and away (ie mirror games) with each other member in his group. The winners of each group will play in a knockout round to determine the winner. The remaining participants will also play to determine final standings. Scoring is three points for a win (regardless of level), one point for a draw and no points for a loss. The first tie-breaker will be number of major victories and the second will be points.

As you can see, there is still room for two more participants. Hopefully someone will step up and join in the carnage. Please post here if you are interested. I'll send out some invitations.

Jeff
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2015, 06:04 PM,
RE: Winter is Coming
Please sign me up Jeff! I promise to be good on my turns.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE. [Death, Discworld] Dux Flavius Aetius )'(
06-24-2015, 11:17 AM,
(06-22-2015, 03:26 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Gentlemen

I have randomly, well mostly randomly, split the participants in the Winter War Tournament into four groups. They should be posted on the Competitions tab before I head off to the gym. I have also stolen Laz's idea (I get to do things like that) and called the tournament Winter is Coming. Each participant will play home and away (ie mirror games) with each other member in his group. The winners of each group will play in a knockout round to determine the winner. The remaining participants will also play to determine final standings. Scoring is three points for a win (regardless of level), one point for a draw and no points for a loss. The first tie-breaker will be number of major victories and the second will be points.

As you can see, there is still room for two more participants. Hopefully someone will step up and join in the carnage. Please post here if you are interested. I'll send out some invitations.

Jeff

Oh well, If I must. I thought you were still discussing the contestJester
06-25-2015, 01:00 AM,
Gentlemen

We now have eighteen players signed up. I have reorganized the group stage into six groups of three. I'll get them posted tonight (I hope). If more people are interested, please be sure and sign up as twenty is a nice round number.

Jeff
06-25-2015, 01:50 AM,
I'm not quite sure I understand how the game-play is being run. Are we going to be playing two opponents in mirror matches at the same time?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-26-2015, 12:46 AM,
Because there are three people per group, each player will be playing two games at one time in each round. But they will be against different participants and different scenarios. The second round will be the same scenarios against the same two opponents, but with the sides reversed, ie a mirror tournament. I can't think of another way to do handle it with an odd number of players in a group. When we get started, I'll post the pairings as clearly as I can.
06-26-2015, 12:57 AM,
There is always the way Dog Soldier is doing it in PBs. Allies play Axis in the same scenario, but scores are only compared to teammates. So you end up with one Allied winner and one Axis winner. I think it provides the opportunity for more different scenarios and less confusion along the way. Then the only thing that would possibly cause confusion would be making the pairings each round.
06-26-2015, 01:07 AM,
Actually, the format Dog Soldier is using is slightly modified from the last two tournaments I ran here. One of the problems in the Falklands Tournament was that some of the scenarios I selected were not well balanced. There was also the problem of what to do when a player conceded in a point based tournament. I elected to go back to a mirror game format for this tournament as I am not real familiar with Winter War and didn't want scenario selection to be an issue. While this football themed format has become slightly more complicated when we went past sixteen participants, I still like it and I'm going to keep it for now.
06-28-2015, 05:28 AM,
Gentlemen

The pairings for the first round are posted on the Competitions tab of the home page. It is a bit complex to try and recreate here. You will be playing two games at a time, two different scenarios against two different opponents (well, if I set it up right you will be). The second round will consist of the same scenarios and opponents, but with the sides reversed. If you have questions, post here or send me an email. I would like to have the first round done by the end of July, but I know this is the height of vacation season so we will take a look at the end of next month and see if we need to extend.

Jeff
06-28-2015, 11:50 AM,
(06-28-2015, 05:28 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Gentlemen

The pairings for the first round are posted on the Competitions tab of the home page. It is a bit complex to try and recreate here. You will be playing two games at a time, two different scenarios against two different opponents (well, if I set it up right you will be). The second round will consist of the same scenarios and opponents, but with the sides reversed. If you have questions, post here or send me an email. I would like to have the first round done by the end of July, but I know this is the height of vacation season so we will take a look at the end of next month and see if we need to extend.

Jeff

What optional rules should we all be playing with? Best to get that established prior to any games starting....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4