• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winter is Coming
06-28-2015, 02:39 PM,
RE: Winter is Coming
There do not appear to be any default optional rules in Winter War. Consequently, the official position is no optional rules will be used. But if you have already started and selected one or more optional rules, keep playing. Just be sure to use the same optional rules against the same opponent in the mirror game of the second round.
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2015, 11:03 PM,
Jeff - Looks good. Lots of work for little pay, but remember, glory last forever! Thanks for organizing this affair.
06-29-2015, 12:42 AM,
(06-28-2015, 02:39 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: There do not appear to be any default optional rules in Winter War. Consequently, the official position is no optional rules will be used. But if you have already started and selected one or more optional rules, keep playing. Just be sure to use the same optional rules against the same opponent in the mirror game of the second round.

Sounds good. I think the game was a little too old in the cycle to have default rules put into it. Quality loss modifier is the only optional rule that is use a default rule, but I'm not sure how much of an impact it has.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-29-2015, 12:28 PM,
Files sent.
07-01-2015, 09:08 AM,
Email invites sent to kolc and Rabbit. Let the games begin :-)
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE. [Death, Discworld] Dux Flavius Aetius )'(
07-11-2015, 10:26 AM,
I believe the general norm has been to enable both "Quality Loss Modifier" and "Vehicle Fire Over". Should we enable one, both, neither of those?

Thanks,
Bill
07-11-2015, 12:46 PM,
Vehicle Fire Over is a pretty benign optional rule, but Quality Loss Modifier can throw play balance out of whack if the games was not tested with the rule in common use. If I remember correctly, and given the number of years it has been that's a pretty wild assumption, Quality Loss Modifier made its appearance in Soviet Afghan War, but Ozgur did not want it used in Winter War. I believe the thought was that it applied more to the small density/irregular war battles of SAW rather than the major conflict that was World War II.

Now with all that said, if you are bound and determined to use some of the optional rules, I don't care all that much. Just be sure to use the same ones in both games against the same opponent. I know that Rabbit just got back from vacation, but hopefully everyone else is well on their way.

Jeff
07-11-2015, 11:03 PM,
First salvo sent to both Rabbit and Heffe. Waiting for return fire...
07-11-2015, 11:36 PM,
(07-11-2015, 12:46 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Vehicle Fire Over is a pretty benign optional rule, but Quality Loss Modifier can throw play balance out of whack if the games was not tested with the rule in common use. If I remember correctly, and given the number of years it has been that's a pretty wild assumption, Quality Loss Modifier made its appearance in Soviet Afghan War, but Ozgur did not want it used in Winter War. I believe the thought was that it applied more to the small density/irregular war battles of SAW rather than the major conflict that was World War II.

Now with all that said, if you are bound and determined to use some of the optional rules, I don't care all that much. Just be sure to use the same ones in both games against the same opponent. I know that Rabbit just got back from vacation, but hopefully everyone else is well on their way.

Jeff

I went back and tried to find our old testing threads, but when that board switched hosts, all of those were lost (which made me a little sad). The only game where I recall having any real strong testing parameters was FWW.

I usually use those two, but am not using either in this round. Nothing seems totally out of whack.
07-12-2015, 07:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015, 07:42 PM by SandySandie.)
Aces8 v SandySandie.
021. Wake up the Russians are here.
Result, a DRAW.
Cheers Sandy