• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

H2H Balancing - Devils To Isernia
04-18-2015, 02:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 02:57 AM by raz_atoth.)
H2H Balancing - Devils To Isernia
Hello gentlemen,

As i'm sure you noticed by now, there aren't a lot of scenarios out there which are balanced for H2H play out of the box. There's where theblitz comes into play Smile
The goal is to modify the scenarios in order to make it as properly balanced for H2H play as possible.

The users who played the proposed scenarios for balancing are hereby kindly asked to provide their feedback on the scenario.

The current stats of the Devils to Isernia are:

Stats:
Axis Wins: 10
Draws: 5
Allied Wins: 1

From the stats alone, it looks like this scenario isn't suited for H2H in it's current form.

Units:
Axis:
3 x Infantry Platoons + HMGs + mortars
2 x SPW 251(9) - 75mm HT
1 x SPW 250(9) - 20mm HT
2 x SPW 251(10) - 37mm HT
1 x SPW 251(1) - MG HT

Allied:
2 x T30 - 75mm HT
1 x M3 GMG - 75mm HT
1 x M15 - 37mm HT
2 X M2 - MG HT

* HMG - heavy machine gun
* HT - halftrack

Balancing Suggestions
When it comes to infantry, both sides are pretty much evenly balanced, imho. On the other hand, the axis side has 5 gun-carrying halftracks, while the allies have only 4. I believe the primary source of unbalance comes from the axis having both more and better armored HTs.

My suggestion is to give the US side 2 extra HTs. Perhaps 2 X M15 (37mm) HTs. The extra firepower should put the US on a more equal footing with the axis.

Thoughts?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2015, 07:44 AM,
RE: H2H Balancing - Devils To Isernia
Send this user an email
04-18-2015, 08:28 AM,
(04-18-2015, 02:56 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: Hello gentlemen,

As i'm sure you noticed by now, there aren't a lot of scenarios out there which are balanced for H2H play out of the box. There's where theblitz comes into play Smile
The goal is to modify the scenarios in order to make it as properly balanced for H2H play as possible.

The users who played the proposed scenarios for balancing are hereby kindly asked to provide their feedback on the scenario.

The current stats of the Devils to Isernia are:

Stats:
Axis Wins: 10
Draws: 5
Allied Wins: 1

From the stats alone, it looks like this scenario isn't suited for H2H in it's current form.

Units:
Axis:
2 x SPW 251(9) - 75mm HT
1 x SPW 250(9) - 20mm HT
2 x SPW 251(10) - 37mm HT
1 x SPW 251(1) - MG HT

Allied:
2 x T30 - 75mm HT
1 x M3 GMG - 75mm HT
1 x M15 - 37mm HT
2 X M2 - MG HT

* HMG - heavy machine gun
* HT - halftrack

Balancing Suggestions
When it comes to infantry, both sides are pretty much evenly balanced, imho. On the other hand, the axis side has 5 gun-carrying halftracks, while the allies have only 4. I believe the primary source of unbalance comes from the axis having both more and better armored HTs.

My suggestion is to give the US side 2 extra HTs. Perhaps 2 X M15 (37mm) HTs. The extra firepower should put the US on a more equal footing with the axis.

Thoughts?

I have played the scenario twice and as I recall the Axis did seem to have a slight edge in the halftracks, as you stated. I think you suggestion is a good one, I wouldn't recommend giving the Yanks any more 75mm HT's though
04-18-2015, 10:58 AM,
I only managed a draw playing the Axis so from my experience it is already well balanced
To The LAST Man, with the LAST round ... We FIGHT!!![Image: CM.png]
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." ~ Napoleon
04-18-2015, 06:33 PM,
I think I have played this scenario 3 times. I have a German victory, a draw with the allies just ahead on points, and (tho I can't find my end screen) an Allied victory. So it is one of the scenarios I would say is balanced, however, I confess I think the point system in CM is off in most cases given that it is generally accepted that on a tactical level the Wehrmacht outfought the allies, any attempt to balance the game should have slightly greater forces on the allied side than the axis - this would also (imho) better simulate the truth of the axis situation for much of the war.
04-19-2015, 03:27 AM,
Unbalanced scenarios have their place I think especially when an experienced player plays against a NOOB or a strong player plays against a weaker player. Kind of like a golf handicap system. I like that The Blitz keeps records of W/L/D on all scenarios played. That database i gold in my opinion.
04-19-2015, 11:58 PM,
Hello!

I played this scenario once as the Axis and won a Total Victory. I don't think the forces are out of balance. My victory came from speed of advance and a flanking attack. My troops were able to get to some key defensive terrain (buildings, wooded hills) quicker, which allowed me to set a firm defense and engage the Americans with MG and artillery firepower. The Americans became pinned while trying to advance. I then concentrated my halftracks, punched through on the right, and struck their flank. I feel I was lucky in being able to take out one or two of their halftracks with 75MM guns before losing my first.

Dave