• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Coming Soon....
05-02-2015, 01:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 01:29 AM by Strela.)
RE: Coming Soon....
(05-01-2015, 09:32 PM)ComradeP Wrote: David, do the Soviets face maximum size restrictions for their armoured units in the patch for Moscow '42 winter campaigns? Just like the Germans can grow in size substantially, which can cause problems for the Germans as due to the 1 hex a turn movement for foot infantry they can be encircled fairly easily by tanks (just like the Soviets).

I made a list for myself a while ago, I believe these are the current totals that can be reached:

Soviet maximum Tank total:

KV-1: 180
T-34: 480.
BT-7: 384.
T-26: 448.
T-60: 360.
T-28: 44.
Valentine: 90.
Matilda: 30.
Mixed: 108.

Withdraw:

KV-1: 30.
T-34: 104.
BT-7: 160.
T-26. 64.
T-60: 60.

Total after withdraws:

KV-1: 150.
T-34: 376.
BT-7: 224.
T-26: 384.
T-60: 300.
T-28: 44.
Valentine: 90.
Matilda: 30.
Mixed: 110.

A test run featuring concentrated Soviet armour and artillery assets against 2nd Panzer Group was fairly close to a repeat of Bagration on a smaller scale.

Hi ComradeP,

At this point only the German's are reduced (or should I say their upper limit is lowered).

For simplicity, All German Infantry Battalions that were not disbanded during/after the Winter campaign have a nominal 50% limit i.e. 400 men. All units that were disbanded were set at 40% i.e. 320 men.

All German tanks were set at 50% of TOE. That mean they were usually set in the range of 6 to 9 vehicles maximum in a company.

As far as the Soviets, I did consider some limits, but with so few tanks and many withdrawing early I decided it was a moot point. It's actually hard for the Soviet to rest his tanks with so few actually available and spread across the map. Without them it increases the difficulty of pursuing the retreating Germans. In addition, nearly all the Soviet tank units are brigades with little ability to mass the number of vehicles. The few Tank Divisions available have obsolete tanks such as the T-26 which are vulnerable to infantry assault.

Personally I think the more plentiful cavalry is a bigger danger for the Germans. Tanks are only good if there is a decent break in the lines and no Axis tanks are available in opposition. The cavalry on the other hand are both more resilient and almost as mobile (particularly through the omnipresent forest) - particularly when there is a breakthrough.

As far as your reference to 2nd Panzergruppe, I'm assuming you mean at their original setup as at Dec 6. Guderian very deliberately withdrew his forces starting December 6th when it became apparent that his push to both cut off Tula and reach Kashira had failed. Any player of the campaign would be courting suicide if he didn't pull back the German front from north and east of Tula. It's very deliberate that there are no objectives in the south until you reach the Oka/Neruch' River at Msensk. Guderian had retreated all the way back to the Oka /Neruch' by the time Hitler's stand fast order came through. A German player should consider the exact same thing. Bleeding the remaining Panzers out on the steppes is pointless. Guderian was ultimately sacked for this withdrawal but his precious Panzers did manage to replenish once behind the prepared positions at the river and were instrumental in stopping the Soviets later in the month.

I have heard the #0612_06 Tula scenario is a very good exercise in trying to withdraw under pressure.

David
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 03:31 AM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Coming Soon....
(05-02-2015, 01:01 AM)Strela Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 08:43 PM)phoenix Wrote: Thanks, David. Looks great, but then I think all 3 titles you've worked on already looked great, to be honest.

Thanks Phoenix, you're becoming my biggest (only?!) fan!

I see you have bought Kharkov'43. Thank you. Please ensure you download the latest patch from John Tiller's website. Another patch with the graphics update should be available in the next couple of weeks all going well.

David

I'd venture to say you have many more than just one fan. We just don't speak up all the time. Jester
05-02-2015, 06:22 PM,
RE: Coming Soon....
Quote:As far as the Soviets, I did consider some limits, but with so few tanks and many withdrawing early I decided it was a moot point. It's actually hard for the Soviet to rest his tanks with so few actually available and spread across the map. Without them it increases the difficulty of pursuing the retreating Germans. In addition, nearly all the Soviet tank units are brigades with little ability to mass the number of vehicles. The few Tank Divisions available have obsolete tanks such as the T-26 which are vulnerable to infantry assault.

It's not going to happen in every game, but there are few constraints on it happening at some point if the player wants to and takes the time to plan for it.

Like the German replacements, Soviet replacements are just a matter of time and with all the forests around, there isn't much to do with the tanks other than in the south or near Kalinin and the latter is unlikely as it's difficult to get there. I assume a smart German player will withdraw, but the terrain in the southern half of the map is still the most suitable for tank combat in terms of terrain and the road/supply network.

I guess it's going to be different each game, but playing against myself I didn't find the cavalry all that threatening. They can't move ZOC to ZOC, many are D quality and as regular infantry they can only move 1 hex without being able to assault, like the rest of the foot infantry.

With German motorized infantry being able to move 2 hexes in clear terrain, getting encircled is difficult. The cavalry has good mobility in forests, but in order for them to use it for a breakthrough the Germans would have to stay in place. I'd actually go so far as saying a lot of the original balance relied on the Germans allowing the Soviets to attack them early on.