• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBS pbem combat shots
05-04-2015, 12:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 12:38 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: CMBS pbem combat shots
This small QB action against Dilsexico's Russians provides some interesting insights into game mechanics, namely-
1- Teams might still be carrying AT missile launchers even if their data panel features no AT-weapon graphic
2- Hiding units might automatically Unhide and engage the enemy
3- Fatigued units will still fight pretty good

I split one of my 6-man Ukrainian squads into two three-man teams, this is one of them, I've been running them hard for the past few turns, hence their data panel reads 'Fatigued', so I halt them and put them on 'Hide' to begin getting their breath back. Notice their data panel graphic seems to indicate that they're only carrying rifles and LMG's.
One of the guys has got an RPG-22 AT launcher on his back, but the panel graphic won't show it until he shoulders it for action..
[Image: BS-tmB_zps2scdwi7c.jpg~original]

Some Russian infantry and an APC show up, but my team automatically un-hides and cuts down an enemy scout team even though they're still fatigued, bless their little hearts!
[Image: BS-tmC_zpsqursmbkh.jpg~original]

And a team member lobs a grenade at them to finish them off.
Inset- the grenade, you wouldn't want to meet one of them on a dark night..
[Image: BS-tmF_zpssnda0pzk.jpg~original]

My boys then turn their attention to the APC and one of them nobbles it with an RPG-22 AT-launcher.
Notice how the data panel graphic now indicates that one of the guys has shouldered the launcher.
Inset- the fatal projectile..
[Image: BS-tmG_zpsaouazdyc.jpg~original]

But then a Russian shell comes from somewhere and wipes out my team (sniffle)
[Image: BS-tmE_zpsw1ljydhe.jpg~original]

[Image: worf-hjo_zps5ulov4uy.png~original]
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 01:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 09:39 AM by raz_atoth.)
The RPG-22 is listed in the Equipment Panel and graphically on the soldier's back.

This pretty much mirrors a recent experience:

One of my brave russian teams spots an enemy Bradley which came into view. At this point the RPG-26 is still carried on the back, but listed in the Equipment Panel.

[Image: r1.jpg]

The RPG-26 is now the primary weapon, with the rifle on the back.

[Image: r2.jpg]

[Image: r3.jpg]

[Image: r4.jpg]
Send this user an email
05-04-2015, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 10:11 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(05-04-2015, 01:45 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: The RPG-22 is listed in the Equipment Panel and graphically on the soldier's back.

Yes I've been misreading the Equipment Panels. For example here's another 3-man team which formed after I hit the "split squad" button; there's a rocket launcher icon in the panel (arrowed), but because it hasn't got an ammo number under it, I wrongly assumed it was empty, even though a guy is carrying it around on his back in the picture..
[Image: BS-tmK_zpsmzt2f0we.jpg~original]

By contrast, this RPG team's icon has a small ammo number under it..
[Image: BS-tmJ_zpst4vaccyo.jpg~original]
05-04-2015, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Hellfire corner...As my two Oplots (one is obscured by the fireball) turn the corner, Neutral Party's Russians hit them with everything including the kitchen sink, don't you just hate it when that happens?..
[Image: BS-Neut-Party-gwl_zpsnqmcpjh2.jpg~original]
05-05-2015, 01:40 AM,
Yes, reusable launcher have a launcher icon and a separate ammo icon with a number. Disposable launchers have an icon that optionally has a count under it if there is more than one in the selected unit. When you have one left the number goes away - no number means one. I am not sure if that applies to the ammo count for the reusable launcher.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-05-2015, 01:45 AM,
(05-04-2015, 12:18 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: 2- Hiding units might automatically Unhide and engage the enemy

Excellent story! Just a word of warning un-hiding and engaging is not the most likely outcome in my experience. Hiding troops usually try to stay hiding and that often gets them killed if the enemy are approaching.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-05-2015, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 05:20 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes I'm going to have to run tests to find out once and for all whether hiding is a good or bad thing. For example in a recent QB some of my ATGM teams on tripods in a treeline were spotted and knocked out by enemy AFV's at longish range even though they hadn't fired or moved. I hadn't got them on Hide.
05-05-2015, 05:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015, 05:42 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Hunter's BMP hunts down my Oplot and punishes it severely with pointblank 30mm automatic cannon fire into its rear..

[Image: BS-hunter-ggq_zpswlx2hl2z.jpg~original]
05-06-2015, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
My meatgrinder QB with Hunter moves into its final decisive stages, and after an intensely violent close-quarter battle, no less than 10 wrecked AFV's litter the woods including 4 of my Ukrainian Oplots and 6 of his Russian BMP-2's. The burial parties are standing by..
"That we may wander o'er this bloody field to book our dead and then to bury them" (Henry V)

[Image: BS-hunter-ple_zpsx2wxdfyx.jpg~original]
05-10-2015, 02:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015, 10:04 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Dilsexico's Tunguska comes trundling out from behind the hill with it's twin 30mm cannons blazing like demonic eyes as it hoses down my Russian T-90..
[Image: BS-dils-prn_zpsj9a2bmmq.jpg~original]

But although it inflicts terrible damage on the optics and stuff, the T-90's main gun is unscathed and returns fire..
(Interesting note: the T-90 was area-firing at the hill (red line) but it ignored the area fire order and cleverly switched its fire to the Tunguska as it came into view)..
[Image: BS-dils-prw_zpsta8btn5t.jpg~original]

This after-action shot dramatically shows the effect of the hail of 30mm cannon fire on the T-90..
[Image: BS-dils-prx_zpsn4kominu.jpg~original]

"Don't look at the eyes!"
[Image: eyes_zpstueeymiu.jpg~original]