• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBS pbem combat shots
02-13-2015, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Beginner wants opponents
Street fight, my Russian T-72 toasts Animalshadows prowling Ukrainian Oplat-
[Image: CMBS-Animshad_zpsbcvrzpb2.jpg~original]

His other Oplat trashes 3 of my APC's with just two shots, firstly killing the BMP on left with his first shot, then killing the other two as his second shot (dotted line) flies clean through the BTR in the centre and drills the BMP on right!
None of them fired back or popped smoke or ran like they should have done, grrr..
[Image: CMBS-dsu_zpskaof1hrt.jpg~original]

This confirms that RPG's can fire from inside buildings..
[Image: CMBS-rpg-bldg_zpsbfxwrlgb.jpg~original]

..but it explodes harmlessly on Animalshadows Oplat and he went on to win a Major Vic..
[Image: CMBS-rpg-pla_zps79i71oby.jpg~original]
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2015, 05:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: CMBS pbem combat shots
DB_Zero's prowling Abrams is a perfect target for my AT-7, what can possibly go wrong?
[Image: BS-AT-7-dwi_zpsjrhbnqxr.jpg~original]

but the missile veers right (circled) and misses by a mile!
[Image: BS-AT-7-dez_zpsnaytfkid.jpg~original]

and smacks into a barn door..
[Image: BS-AT-7-dex_zpsqyrzdncy.jpg~original]

The Abrams immediately returns fire, and it's adios AT-7..
[Image: BS-AT-7-dey_zpsa8fp0tb0.jpg~original]

How could my missile miss? The AT-7 is a wire-guided job so there's no possibility of the Abrams jamming it. However the range was pretty short, so maybe the missile didn't have enough time and distance to be guided properly, which is realistic, or maybe a treetrunk obscured the Abrams a bit and threw off the missileman's aim.
PS- Hey I just realised, it fired while it was only 'Semi-Deployed', and according to the manual, the accuracy of all Semi-Deployed types of weapons suffers if they're not fully 'Deployed', so that could also be one reason why it missed!
I could have ordered it to Deploy earlier but I assumed mounting it on a tripod might mean it'd be spotted easier by the enemy.
04-16-2015, 03:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 01:36 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
However the AT-7 is generally quite reliable, for example here's another of my AT-7 teams having a crack at DB_Zero's same Abrams again.
They can see the tank's turret above the low bocage so they let one fly..
[Image: BS-AT-7-h_zpsaspu2tn1.jpg~original]

The missile whooshes over the bocage..
[Image: BS-AT-7-i_zps1yoqt16j.jpg~original]

but is shot down by the Abrams APS system..
[Image: BS-AT-7-j_zpsqtvvccoz.jpg~original]

..the Abrams was slow to spot them and they had just enough time to fire a second missile but the APS shot that down too, but if it'd been any tank or vehicle without APS, the missile would have scored a direct hit despite being fired Semi-deployed.
Now the tank wipes out the team with bursts of 50-cal and coaxial MG fire. It didn't use its main gun for two possible reasons, firstly it'd just fired at another AT-7 team and was probably still reloading, or secondly the main gun couldn't quite get LOS through the low bocage.
[Image: BS-AT-7-k_zpsuijiy6kt.jpg~original]
04-16-2015, 07:27 PM,
Even with a full hit i doubt the AT-7 could have done any real damage. My understanding is you need an AT-15 fired by a Khrizantema to have any chance of knocking out an Abrams. Or perhaps a lucky hit by an AT-14. But anything older/lower than that at best would only scratch the paint.
Send this user an email
04-17-2015, 01:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 02:43 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(04-16-2015, 07:27 PM)raz_atoth Wrote: Even with a full hit i doubt the AT-7 could have done any real damage. My understanding is you need an AT-15 fired by a Khrizantema to have any chance of knocking out an Abrams. Or perhaps a lucky hit by an AT-14. But anything older/lower than that at best would only scratch the paint.

Yes I'm going to run tests on all the AT missiles in the game and post them in the Black Sea Discussions thread.
Main Batttle Tanks like the Abrams are tough nuts to crack but at least a missile hit might damage them even if it doesn't knock them out. My boys had the shot in the above pics, so I couldn't resist letting them take it..:)
04-17-2015, 02:10 AM,
Oh yes systems can be damaged and seriously degrade the tank. Even its own APS system can cause system damage. During testing I routinely see salvo fire from Khrizantema where the second missile is still intercepted but so close to the tank that the APS explosion damages several system. Sometimes even rendering APS in operative.
04-17-2015, 02:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 02:59 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Night battle, "When the good things of day begin to droop and drowse" -Macbeth
Grobers Russian APC comes probing through the forest like Bigfoot, so my Ukrainian RPG-22 rocketman engages..
[Image: BS-RPG-22-b_zpsdzzp9gjg.jpg~original]

..and it's toasted, it began burning a few seconds later and surviving crewmen bailed. (victorious rocketman circled)
[Image: BS-RPG-22-c_zps97983cyz.jpg~original]

A closeup of my boy in action-
[Image: BS-RPG-22-a_zpsciekyjhi.jpg~original]
04-17-2015, 12:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 12:25 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
QB Meeting- My Russians sweep across the lush Ukrainian wheatfields looking for a showdown with GAZNZ's advancing Americans.
Putin gave my men one simple order- "I expect you to be in Kiev by the end of the week!"
[Image: BS-GAZNZ2_zpsv34ztd0b.jpg~original]

But one of my T-90's crashes through a ricketty bridge, I'm getting a bad feeling about this, don't tell Vlad..
[Image: BS-GAZNZ3_zpsnymndoay.jpg~original]
04-18-2015, 08:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 08:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.."
But not deep or dark enough for my US infantry team who are caught napping as Raz_Atoth's prowling Abrams begins surgically cleansing the woods in our USA vs USA QB.
[Image: BS-raz-lkr_zps3gkkyqdw.jpg~original]
04-19-2015, 06:11 AM,
Don't you just hate it when you daringly break through to an objective like my two Ukrainian BTR-4E's have done here in this QB night battle, only for your opponent to shell the place like Grober is doing with heavy-calibre stuff that turns it into a cratered moonscape..
[Image: BS-grob-ups_zpsbdvdnwls.jpg~original]