• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Jison Mapmod for JTS (non Gold) Versions - BETA
05-28-2016, 10:24 PM,
RE: Jison Mapmod for JTS Versions - BETA
Just tried playing around a bit and encountered another couple of problems...I'm pretty graphically challenged so please excuse any really dumb questions...

I was hoping to mix and match a few things between the most recent files you've posted in this thread and the map graphics for Tunisia, but it looks like I have two issues:

1) The background for Tunesia is purple rather than yellow, I guess I will have to do some kind of color replacement on the purple before using it with the graphics posted here. From past efforts like this, I seem to recall that the colors blend on the edges of the graphic icons, and it might be difficult to just replace purple with yellow, etc. Is there a good way to do this?

2) it appears that the 2DFeatures50 files are different sizes for these two games--one is 110 x 420 pixels, one is 114 x 558 pixels--is that right? It seems a bit odd that they would be different sizes. Assuming this is correct, would the best way to proceed be to make them the same size, do whatever copy/pasting I want to do, then resize to the original dimension?
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 09:50 PM,
(05-28-2016, 10:24 PM)76mm Wrote: Just tried playing around a bit and encountered another couple of problems...I'm pretty graphically challenged so please excuse any really dumb questions...

I was hoping to mix and match a few things between the most recent files you've posted in this thread and the map graphics for Tunisia, but it looks like I have two issues:

1)  The background for Tunesia is purple rather than yellow, I guess I will have to do some kind of color replacement on the purple before using it with the graphics posted here.  From past efforts like this, I seem to recall that the colors blend on the edges of the graphic icons, and it might be difficult to just replace purple with yellow, etc.  Is there a good way to do this?

2)  it appears that the 2DFeatures50 files are different sizes for these two games--one is 110 x 420 pixels, one is 114 x 558 pixels--is that right?  It seems a bit odd that they would be different sizes.  Assuming this is correct, would the best way to proceed be to make them the same size, do whatever copy/pasting I want to do, then resize to the original dimension?

Hi 76mm,

Just checked out your issue here.

Though Tunisia is a JTS game it has NOT been updated to the latest graphics version.

The original map mod still works with it and you can get it from here;

http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/Files/MapMod.PzC.Tunisia.rar

You should be able to just run this download over the top of your Tunisia build and it will recover the files it needs to get Mapmod working.

Hope that helps...

David
06-02-2016, 06:13 AM,
David,

Thanks a lot for your response, I know how busy you are. The problem is that I'm not necessarily trying to get the map mod working (although I will look at the files you linked to), but to modify some of the Tunisia files. So far I've been able to do so by "handpainting" the Tunisia files pixel by pixel but this is a pretty tedious approach and I was hoping to be able to "cut and paste" from other PzC titles. Nonetheless, I can probably deal with this for the "2DFeatures" files.

The latest problem I encountered was I tried to change the "tint" of the "Standard" ground files (ie, for clear ground hexes). While this worked if I changed the "tint" of the entire file (ie, all of the hexes in the bmp file), if I tried to tint a subset of the hexes (ie, all of them but the "sand" hexes at the bottom, I got ugly black splotches for the sand hexes. Any idea what the problem could be? I can't figure it out.

Also, any idea if the Tunisia map will be upgraded to the latest graphics version? I generally rather like those, so if they might be upgraded I might just wait and then work with those.
06-23-2016, 10:48 AM,
I liked the mapmod since it was used in the patched F'14 version, a pity that the PB graphics were used instead of continuing the use of the mapmod especially as the PB make the minimap useless.

Only problem I have is the built-in hexgrid and the hex color, did anyone ever do an alternative color set?
I prefer the old and usually used topographical green to brown coloring, I can't get along with this blue to violet coloring.
06-24-2016, 08:32 AM,
(06-23-2016, 10:48 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: I liked the mapmod since it was used in the patched F'14 version, a pity that the PB graphics were used instead of continuing the use of the mapmod especially as the PB make the minimap useless.

Only problem I have is the built-in hexgrid and the hex color, did anyone ever do an alternative color set?
I prefer the old and usually used topographical green to brown coloring, I can't get along with this blue to violet coloring.

Fwiw, I don't think Jan would have been too cool with that idea; allowing someone to do a mod with work that he was not interested in changing around due to changes in the PzC coding (the way hexsides work in PzC now are different -and it is not like in other series either -so it required a lot more work - iirc it is about how the hexside graphics join together now, not just adding in slope hexside graphics), than it is making it the official artwork of the company.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the PzB graphics were added to David Freer's work in there (I think...) I don't know that it is a matter of being used in there first and then the idea is to gradually expand that, or just leaving it alone. Basically it amounts to a lot of work and if it is not tied directly to a new project then it probably is not just going to be added. And the new project wouldn't necessarily have to be from the same series (is how I am interpreting things).

Granted, Jan can and does speak for himself -so take what I wrote as my opinion.

As far as the technicalities in image editing:

Removing the 'built-in hexgrid' is easy enough; it takes some time, but it amounts to using a cloning tool (at least in Jan's style it does; I'd done some of that before).  For all I know there are a few of his earlier style graphics around which did not incorporate the hexgrid directly on the map graphics. I don't have time, myself, to promise being able to make a modified hexgrid, though.
Send this user an email
06-25-2016, 11:14 AM,
Well well I just realized that even the changed files by strela don't work on the PC releases that use PB graphics.
It's no wonder Jan didn't work on it as it can drive you mad, at least I found a way of madding the hex graphics but I'm unsure if I get the hex sides and hex features done.
If anyone has a documentation about the PB graphics it would be very welcome.
07-09-2016, 07:40 PM,
(06-25-2016, 11:14 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Well well I just realized that even the changed files by strela don't work on the PC releases that use PB graphics.
It's no wonder Jan didn't work on it as it can drive you mad, at least I found a way of madding the hex graphics but I'm unsure if I get the hex sides and hex features done.
If anyone has a documentation about the PB graphics it would be very welcome.

BigDuke66,

I just tested the files included in the first post of this thread on the latest build of Moscow '42 and it works fine.

What game are you having issues with?

David
07-10-2016, 02:39 AM,
And why do those files, especially the hexside files differ so much in layout from the files in the patched game?

Anyhow afaik you have tried to rescale graphics especially the smaller 50 graphics but that doesn't work, some graphics were not positioned correctly, some were not recognizable and some didn't even show up like the rough terrain on the 50 graphics because the rescaling just swallowed everything.

I have now done a mod especially for those 2 games, this mod uses MapMod graphics as far as possible and as far as it makes sense.
So far it looks OK, I'm rather unhappy with the stream, river and canal graphics but as not even the original game graphics align properly I couldn't just copy & past the MapMod graphics over but had to redraw them myself. I'm no artist so if anyone wants to give it a try he's welcome. So far we have what we need, streams differ from rivers & canals and those two stand out as they are major obstacle on the battlefield.

PS If you can problems unpacking, try renaming the extension to rar. For what ever reason I couldn't attack a rar file but had to rename it to zip.

Attached Files
.zip   Adjusted MapMod Mod.zip (Size: 558.94 KB / Downloads: 45)
09-10-2016, 06:22 AM,
(07-10-2016, 02:39 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: And why do those files, especially the hexside files differ so much in layout from the files in the patched game?

Anyhow afaik you have tried to rescale graphics especially the smaller 50 graphics but that doesn't work, some graphics were not positioned correctly, some were not recognizable and some didn't even show up like the rough terrain on the 50 graphics because the rescaling just swallowed everything.

I have now done a mod especially for those 2 games, this mod uses MapMod graphics as far as possible and as far as it makes sense.
So far it looks OK, I'm rather unhappy with the stream, river and canal graphics but as not even the original game graphics align properly I couldn't just copy & past the MapMod graphics over but had to redraw them myself. I'm no artist so if anyone wants to give it a try he's welcome. So far we have what we need, streams differ from rivers & canals and those two stand out as they are major obstacle on the battlefield.

PS If you can problems unpacking, try renaming the extension to rar. For what ever reason I couldn't attack a rar file but had to rename it to zip.

Greetings BD66

It appears your link is invalid can you repost a more current one, please?
09-10-2016, 08:34 AM,
Just checked that link, it works fine.
Anyone else having problems?