• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Jison Mapmod for JTS (non Gold) Versions - BETA
02-05-2015, 02:11 AM,
RE: Jison Mapmod for JTS Versions - BETA
Hi Everyone,

The latest Beta has been put up - go to the download link in the original (first) post in this thread.

I have been able to test this version much more thoroughly as I have managed to get further titles to test against.

The areas to be wary of are as follows;

1. I have not worked out how to setup full hex ferries to date and hence the graphics are untested/unavailable
  2. Same thing for full hex ferry damage
  3. The Broken symbology is 'Version 2' as per Jison's mapmod web page. This is appropriate for France '40, Normandy etc. It maybe inappropriate for other titles at the moment.

There will be additional work on this but I wanted to get everyone's latest take.

David
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2015, 09:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015, 10:09 PM by -72-.)
It probably is appropriate at this stage to make the distinction that this has all been David's adaptation of Jan's Mapmod work.

I only mean this in the sense that I have never known Jan to use stock graphics and that there are many stock graphics involved in David's files.

I don't know that Jan won't at some point do up some versions on his own -but, knowing now that he is actively engaged in designing graphics for projects in development by JTS -I am sure that those are his priorities.

At some point when I earn a title from some side testing I will see if I can get one over to Jan so that he can play around with things at his convenience (which is open ended intentionally).

I do know David likes to work on graphics as well, so I imagine this all has posed an intellectual challenge (as in seeing if he can make it work) to him as well, so I hope that it is all a win-win situation for everyone.

But anyway, I guess my point too is that Jan might have a different approach for all I know. That and I appreciate the way that Tiller allows users to work on graphics and adapt them to their own preferences. ;)

----

Edited one line to be a little more specific... apologies for any misunderstandings caused.
Send this user an email
02-05-2015, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015, 10:48 AM by Strela.)
(02-05-2015, 09:38 AM)trauth116 Wrote: It probably is appropriate at this stage to make the distinction that this has all been David's adaptation of Jan's Mapmod work.

I only mean this in the sense that I have never known Jan to use stock graphics and that there are many stock graphics involved in David's files.

I don't know that Jan won't at some point do up some versions on his own -but, knowing now that he is actively engaged in designing graphics for projects in development by JTS -I am sure that those are his priorities.

At some point when I earn a title from some side testing I will see if I can get one over to Jan so that he can play around with things at his convenience (which is open ended intentionally).

I do know David likes to work on graphics as well, so I imagine this all has posed a challenge to him as well, so I hope that it is all a win-win situation for everyone.

But anyway, I guess my point too is that Jan might have a different approach for all I know. That and I appreciate the way that Tiller allows users to work on graphics and adapt them to their own preferences. ;)

For clarity....

I am only providing the files required in the Map Directory to allow Mapmod to work on the JTS versions. Jison recommends you load Volcano Man's art first and then his Mod. You can do exactly that if you have a JTS version, you just need to load the files I have provided last for the Mapmod to work. I have only adjusted the absolute minimum number of files required (12) to get Mapmod working again.

I have sent Jan the files I have done for review and to see if they are of any value to him. It will be up to him if he believes there is value in officially supporting the JTS versions going forward.

Finally on the question of graphics on my part, yes I spend a lot of time on graphics as evidenced on what was released in Kursk Panzer Battles. That title, as shown in the Panzer Battles forum is being reviewed for new terrain graphics also. Ultimately I'd like to do my take on Panzer Campaigns as well. I don't view that there is any issue with more or less mods for any series...

David
02-08-2015, 10:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2015, 10:22 PM by -72-.)
For what its worth, I worded my initial post a little less clearly than I think was ideal - I really meant that I thought you saw the entire thing as a graphic challenge, in the sense that - could you make it work and how. I am a bit that way too.

I am not going to speak for Jan on this, but if it was me that was going to be working with the graphics, then the original stock graphics would probably be of more use in the sense that you would see exactly where the stock graphics' coordinates are located (this isn't necessarily going to be the case once someone modifies these..).
Send this user an email
02-09-2015, 01:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015, 01:44 AM by Don Czirr.)
[Image: hq_zps9987df26.jpg]

Hmm ... this conversation about who does what, may be a good segue for my question.

( a bit confused - so I'll just toss this out there)

David - please see above.

I encountered a mystery HQ (no unit portrait) and a similar situation for an East German Helicopter unit.

Not sure - Is that in scope for your recent work?

Those are the only 2 issues I see from NGP atm ....

That - and an odd appearance of Jungle terrain from the old set at 284, 186 of the Winter version of the campaign map ....
Send this user an email
02-09-2015, 02:14 AM,
(02-09-2015, 01:41 AM)Don Czirr Wrote:

Hmm ... this conversation about who does what, may be a good segue for my question.

I encountered a mystery HQ (no unit portrait) and a similar situation for an East German Helicopter unit.

That - and an odd appearance of Jungle terrain from the old set at 284, 186 of the Winter version of the campaign map ....

Hi,

Unit graphics are not part of the Mapmod scope.

I suggest you download Volcano mans graphics mod - that will fix any missing pictures, then reinstall Jison's mapmod and finally the fix I have done.

Also please note that the Jungle you have found is a problem with the original map. It can't be fixed by any of the mods...

David
02-09-2015, 03:00 AM,
(02-09-2015, 02:14 AM)Strela Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 01:41 AM)Don Czirr Wrote:

Hi,

Unit graphics are not part of the Mapmod scope.

I suggest you download Volcano mans graphics mod - that will fix any missing pictures, then reinstall Jison's mapmod and finally the fix I have done.

Also please note that the Jungle you have found is a problem with the original map. It can't be fixed by any of the mods...

David

Got it - thanks for the info !
Send this user an email
02-20-2015, 11:13 PM,
I noticed an issue with France '40 where all orchards with roads in the hex are not showing up. Comparing this mod with Jison's original MapMod file containing the orchards, this mod is missing the second line of orchard graphics (18th line of the file) contained in Jison's file. On the map you get the dark square box in the center of the hex that is used for "empty" lines.

Hope that helps advance the project.
02-21-2015, 12:10 AM,
(02-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Lohengrin Wrote: I noticed an issue with France '40 where all orchards with roads in the hex are not showing up. Comparing this mod with Jison's original MapMod file containing the orchards, this mod is missing the second line of orchard graphics (18th line of the file) contained in Jison's file. On the map you get the dark square box in the center of the hex that is used for "empty" lines.

Hope that helps advance the project.

Thanks Lohengrin!

The download in the initial post has been updated to fix this issue. There will be more, so please report them in this thread.

Thanks again,

David
02-21-2015, 04:47 AM,
Okay, the road orchards are back, but they aren't centered in the hex. They're shifted a bit to the left, with some of the graphics running over into adjacent hexes on the left.