• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First Panzer Battles Tournament
12-16-2014, 09:58 AM,
RE: First Panzer Battles Tournament
Fabio and I have finished, with a minor win for the Soviets against the German juggernaut. After turn 1, I pulled everything back to the bunkers and fought from them - I just waited a turn too long and lost 1 mortar unit early on as a result. Still, Fabio pushed within 2 points of the draw and could have easily had that, I think.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2014, 11:43 PM,
Nice result Outlaw Josey Wales, you've achieved what the rest of us couldn't.
12-18-2014, 02:35 PM,
There is still one pair yet to report in to me that they are finished so we can start the the next round.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-19-2014, 01:22 AM,
All results have been logged on the ladder I think, but I guess you mean that you still need a final turn point overview.
12-19-2014, 04:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM by Dog Soldier.)
[Image: Moving%20out.jpg]
The results of round one have been posted to the competition page along with the second round match ups.

Outlaw Josey Wales and RickyB are at the top of the standings after round one. Many of the other players are separated by very narrow margins. Everyone is still in the hunt for first place on their side.

The #0706_02 Shuravlivny Woods - 155th Guards's Last Stand scenario illustrates the key concept for the Soviets of using the AOF (Automatic Opportunity Fire) and hidden unit rules to make the Germans find and dig the Soviets out of the woods.
The bunkers can be useful, but to store too many troops in those positions is just asking for trouble as the Germans can locate them, then concentrate on taking those positions. Unless the Soviets leave some units in the woods area to slow the Germans down, the Germans will have too much time. That time can be used to bring up the guns to help disrupt Soviet units in the bunkers along with strong German assaults. Once a bunker position cracks, all inside will be lost quickly due to the surrounded rules forcing surrenders.

If the Soviet player bangs away with every shot they can take in the woods scenario, they will be decimated much more quickly by all the return defensive fire the German player's troops can dish out.

A balance must be struck by the Soviet player between causing German losses and preserving the Soviet troops to last until the end of the scenario.
The German player has to conserve losses while moving quickly through the woods. Keeping the German force in supporting positions as much as the terrain allows will help them clear the Soviets out for the woods. A few recon troops are available to help the German player avoid ambushes and spot Soviet troops making for the bunkers before they get there.

The scenario to be played for round two is #0706_03 Yakovlevo - Breaching the Second Line. Strela has sent me the new version from the first patch which will be released later. For playing in this tournament, you will get first sneak peek at playing the new version. I am emailing the scenario to all the members in the tournament. Be sure both players have this new version for the second round game or there may be problems running the game.

Here are the changes included in the new scenario for round two.

#0706_03 Yakovlevo - Breaching the Second Line
  • Soviet artillery at (10,13), (25,13), (25,14), (26,12), (30,20), (42,22), (43,23), (44,23) now unfixed.
  • Victory location in (25,16) moved to (18,13). The German player has to commit to the high ground on the left flank.
  • Soviet front line battalions release on contact with the enemy. This is determined on a battalion by battalion basis.
  • Axis smoke allocation adjusted to 20 fires.
  • 1st Guards Tank Brigade armored car in hex (25,16) is removed and now controlled as a strategy option allowing the Soviet player to choose its starting location. This removes some certainty for the German.

Good luck to all!

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-20-2014, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 12:28 AM by ComradeP.)
I'll send the first turn this evening.

The new version gives the Soviet defender a lot more options for the opening. Releasing multiple battalions on turn 1 is usually bad news for the Germans. There are quite a few tricks the Soviets can pull on the Germans now.

The reduction in smoke also hurts, for balance I would have preferred increasing the corps-sized scenario smoke levels and perhaps reducing smoke in Yakovlevo to 30 or so, as 20 is fairly drastic.

Good luck everyone!
12-20-2014, 04:10 AM,
Hi DS

I sent off 1st turn of 2nd round to Ricky B
12-20-2014, 03:30 PM,
(12-20-2014, 12:27 AM)ComradeP Wrote: I'll send the first turn this evening.

The new version gives the Soviet defender a lot more options for the opening. Releasing multiple battalions on turn 1 is usually bad news for the Germans. There are quite a few tricks the Soviets can pull on the Germans now.

The reduction in smoke also hurts, for balance I would have preferred increasing the corps-sized scenario smoke levels and perhaps reducing smoke in Yakovlevo to 30 or so, as 20 is fairly drastic.

Good luck everyone!

From the images below taken from the old version of the start positions to the new version of the start positions, I only see five hexes being released by normal visibility. This is not that drastic.

Dog Soldier

[Image: Yakolevo%20Fixed%20Old.JPG]

Note the five hexes marked by red arrows that released in the new version due to the new full battalion release schedule for the Soviets.
[Image: Yakolevo%20Fixed%20New.JPG]
- Wyatt Earp
12-20-2014, 11:42 PM,
That is: if the German player doesn't use smoke in the older version. That's the big difference. Now, only one unit needs to spot you for an entire battalion to activate.
12-21-2014, 07:30 AM,
The effect of the changes can be felt immediately, with it not being able to clear a bunker on turn 2. I hope I'll be able to get the attack going again in a timely manner, but the Soviet defensive potential is now much higher than before. Provided it doesn't stop the attack, it should make for a more interesting game.