• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
10-30-2014, 12:16 PM,
RE: movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
(10-30-2014, 08:06 AM)Westland Wrote: I miss Chuck Norris in the movie.He would have destroyed only three SS batallions.Only with an Uzi in the right hand and Hollywood ammunition.With the left hand he had repaired Fury.
Or John Rambo.Whis his magic bow and arrows Tungsten steel.He would wipe out whole armored divisions.

Yes, those old Hollywood Infinity shooters are really nice. I wonder why Arms Companies all over the world haven't acquired the patents to begin production. Also, what about the ever popular bow which shoots down aircraft like I saw in an upcoming movie trailer? Movies are real life. LOL... Propeller Hat
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 07:53 PM,
@Jim von Krieg

I know all Soviet and Russian war movies.They are all falsified propaganda films."Come and see" one of them.Dancing and laughing SS soldiers burning and shoot the civilians are a fairy.Sure there were these crimes on the Eastern Front.But are there not have laughed and danced.That was rather angry retaliation for partisan raids.
Soviets have dancing and laughing in East Prussia and Berlin tens of thousands of women and children raped and killed.BDM Girls( BDM=Confederation German Girls) and "Blitzmädchen"(Airforce and News Service) were put hand grenades into the vaginas.This did were committed by Soviet Central Asian troops.
These are Facts.Furthermore, there are no movies.
10-31-2014, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014, 11:26 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
I like the movie that showed the SS handing out tea and cookies to all the town folk. Whistle
And, the trailer that showed a young SS soldier helping an elderly Jewish lady to cross the street. Idea2
Now that is realism. Twilight Zone

Toast

HSL
10-31-2014, 07:35 AM,
Boisforas here again, the Second World war was a most tragic event, especially for civilians of any country unlucky enough to be caught up in its tentacles-we could go on for hours about atrocities, who did what to whom. Is there a difference between fire bombing cities & rounding up Jewish civilians & shooting them at the edge of a pit? The British pilots & the eisatzngruppen politzie both thought they were doing their duty(There was a movie made about the Russian army rape of German women called, "A Woman in Berlin," but no movies about the eisatzgruppen). Soviet era movies & most Hollywood war movies at best ignore the brutality & glorify the heroic. But if one talks to a real combat soldier about heroics, one would find the conversation a bit one sided as real combat survivers want most of all to forget the horror. We brothers in arms on the electronic battlefield sometimes forget that "War is hell."
11-01-2014, 05:13 AM,
Fury premieres today in this part of world. I've got tickets for tomorrows audition Helmet Smile

There's another movie out there, starring an Easy Eight as well. Fierce infantry action, Sherman vs Tiger action, the lot. It actually features a team lead, vowed to have his men entering Berlin alive too, quote unquote. Big Joe's his name.

Action, but tragic moments as well. Authentic stuff, well for most part. BARs, 30 cals, Thompsons , MP-40s.

Kelly's Heroes, what a classic. Remembered well for Oddball's one liners, often forgotten for what a great war movie it actually is.

And I am watching it right now. Coincidence had it TCM is playing it tonight.

Kelly's Heroes tonight. Fury tomorrow night.

This is turning into a fine weekend Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-01-2014, 05:51 AM,
Finally saw "Fury"

A good war flick with action packed sequences especially with the Bovington Tiger. Some of it was Hollywood filler to round out the movie and at times unrealistic with troops lined up 2x2 behind tanks but good none the less.

Graphic in parts and if you like mud everywhere then this could be your movie.

I haven't ranked it yet with my favorite war flicks, not until I get the DvD with stop frame to study it a bit for authenticity.

Can't say it will be in my top 5 with the likes of Cross of Iron, Band of Brothers series, Das Boat and Gettysburg but a good flick for tank lovers.

Cheers!
Ivan the BigCigar5
11-02-2014, 06:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014, 02:22 AM by Crossroads.)
(11-01-2014, 05:51 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Can't say it will be in my top 5 with the likes of Cross of Iron, Band of Brothers series, Das Boat and Gettysburg but a good flick for tank lovers.

Just got back home from seeing the movie, and this ItB quote seemed to be a good way to start my little review. And here is the first of spoilers: that is how I will rate this movie in the end too. Helmet Wink

As I wrote earlier, TCM decided to air Kelly's Heroes yesterday. I love the movie to bits, I've seen parts of it like a dozen times, but 'only' watched the whole movie like four or five times. So knowing I was going to see Fury today, I prepared the pop corn, opened up a cold bevvy, and watched it again. A gig behind the enemy lines, a tank platoon on a move, Tigers to be fought, and some war weary GIs making it all personal this time. You better deliver Fury, was what I was thinking having really enjoyed the old classic again.

And boy does Fury deliver Whip

It opens up with a sort of a dream sequence...
Horse3
...but after that it hits its tracks rather quickly (see what I did there?). Returning from their latest battle to rear, they receive their replacement man in form of Logan Lerman playing the part of young Norman Ellison. Trained as a typist(!), he's shown to fill in with Wardaddy's (Pitt) crew instead, and it is mostly with him we relate to madness of it all.

Brad Pitt looks a bit old to his role but delivers for most part, Shia LeBeouf is actually so good you don't even realise it is him for the most part, but having a new face (at least to me) playing the young protagonist worked out really well. The early scene where he is forced to shoot the surrendered POW wearing a GI coat is a good fit to overall story.

You can't help but notice how battle hardened and cynical everyone else is made to look like. Quite a contrast, but then, as the movie rolls on its tracks, you begin to see why they are what they are. And as the movie end some 2 hrs later, that's a couple of days only in real time, you can't but feel that young Ellison has seen so much so soon.
Hang

I can't but applaud his role in the movie. You sort of learn to know the rest of the tank crew well too, but nothing like with do with Norman Ellisons character.

The action in this movie is first class for most parts. I am more than happy to forgive the few areas where some compromises were made, mostly for reason to fit everything into screen methinks. So for an example when Wardaddy's platoon was ordered to relieve a pinned down platoon, the way the tanks crossed the opening close to each other can be explained with that. So forget details like that, just enjoy the view, the sounds, the ride! The whole movie theater shook with the shock of explosions, at times it feels you are really in the thick of the action, ducking down from tracers.
Rifle3

As the story progresses, you begin to understand and approve the crews cynical approach. Fanatical resistance pops out often and unexpected, determined enemy soldiers, but young boys and girls armed to their teeth and extremely dangerous here and there too.

When they finally have a decent night's rest that sequence feels right in the movie as well. A bit of decency in between the mad fighting for them. And then it kicks off again, sooner than anyone realises they (and we as the audience) are in the thick of it.

And then the Tiger cometh!
Tank6

The duel with the Tiger was pure first class action, I am not sure I remembered to breathe once before it was over. And not only for the reason we get to enjoy a real Tiger, first time ever in a movie? Boy do they make it quite a monster for sure. Never mind the tactics shown, the 76mm would have made a better job, instead again just enjoy the ride. Some of the Shermans in Wardaddy's platoon actually had the short 75mms so the tactics here seem to be spot on to me, again, if you just want to see them so.

And when they finally nail the Tiger, leaving it smoking with two smoldering entry holes in its big fat behind, you are sort of screaming: third round, put a third round through it!
Tank1
They won't, so there's another spoiler for you

And then, in a bit, we are soon approaching the final battle. The Hollywood battle. Rifle5

I am very much enjoying the movie, so I am thinking maybe it is not that bad after all.

They build towards the finale very nicely, we know in their flank there's a German unit somewhere there, of unknown size and composition. So someone has to investigate. And as we get to see from the first peek too: it is SS allright.

Clean camouflage, parade marching through the country side, armed to teeth, MG-42s, quite a few men with panzerfaust happily carried on their shoulders, singing along. Young Norman reported to Wardaddy there's 200-300 of them, and Wardaddy makes the conclusion there's a full SS Battalion heading their way.
Horse2

But what is in the screen was more like two or three platoons from what I saw and recall, so this particular SS Battalion was worn down to a Coy size max perhaps. Young recruits, obviously fresh out from a quickest of training? Young Norman just got their number wrong. See: using some positive waves, we can imagine an angle to make it come good rather than awful?

Oh but it is bad. It is downright awful.

I won't spoil the finale here in any more detail, but the movie would have been better without the finale there at all. Just commit the men deciding to defend the crossroads, and leave it there. It is that silly.

Or, if we'd rather seen perhaps something similar as from the opening scene of Enemy at the Gates: hapless young boys and old men driven to slaughter this time with ruthless SS Polizei officers gunning down anyone backing. It would have been a good fit to what we've seen earlier.

But unfortunately no. They are supposed to be real war hardened soldiers, yet a company of them can't destroy a surrounded, buttoned up, disabled tank for the life of them. And it spoils the end of the movie quite effectively. Then there are the end credits, and then there is the feeling: What a pity.

Regardless, 3.5 out of 5 stars from me, and a definite recommendation to check out the movie. It is a must Salute

It is a shame though, this could have easily been a rare 5 star movie even.
11-05-2014, 10:16 AM,
After waiting awhile to see what others would have to remark about the movie I felt it time to add a few of my own observations. Besides what has already been said which I mostly agree with agree I first must say that I realize that this movie was not meant to be representative of any actual event but the 2 glaring moments that I find hard to accept where:
1) when the tank crew were in the apartment with the two German women a Black American Infantryman came to tell them that they needed to get back and report. I know that Black Americans did serve in a number of different combat units, especially an armored unit and the Tuskegee air wing but as far as I know there were no Black American infantry units and the US Army had not integrated yet.
2) Who would plant ONE mine in a crossroad, especially near where a first aid station was stationed.
Oh well as I said previously I know this was not supposed to be an accurate movie so I guess one must accept the producers discretion.

This has just been my two cents.
11-06-2014, 01:14 PM,
(11-05-2014, 10:16 AM)Oberst Wrote: After waiting awhile to see what others would have to remark about the movie I felt it time to add a few of my own observations. Besides what has already been said which I mostly agree with agree I first must say that I realize that this movie was not meant to be representative of any actual event but the 2 glaring moments that I find hard to accept where:
1) when the tank crew were in the apartment with the two German women a Black American Infantryman came to tell them that they needed to get back and report. I know that Black Americans did serve in a number of different combat units, especially an armored unit and the Tuskegee air wing but as far as I know there were no Black American infantry units and the US Army had not integrated yet.
2) Who would plant ONE mine in a crossroad, especially near where a first aid station was stationed.
Oh well as I said previously I know this was not supposed to be an accurate movie so I guess one must accept the producers discretion.

This has just been my two cents.

On black US infantry, there were a growing number on the front lines near the end of the war, as the US Army, due to casualties, relaxed its racial policies in practice (if not in letter) during the periodic "comb-outs" for badly needed replacement infantry. There were also numbers of black combat engineer and supply units who served near the front and this guy could have been from one of them.

Here is a link from the National WW2 Museum:

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/assets/...-world.pdf

The US Army in WW2 was more multi-ethnic than early Hollywood movies made it seem. For example, in the WW2 Movie "Hell to Eternity" which was based on the real-life exploits of Guy Gabaldon, a Mexican American from Los Angeles, the part is played by a non-Hispanic actor Jeffrey Hunter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_to_Eternity
11-07-2014, 01:49 AM,
After some quick internet research, it appears there were black infantry units in the ETO near the end of the war. Many infantry companies were reinforced with a fifth platoon of black troops recruited and trained from service units from within the ETO. So while not fully integrated, there were black infantrymen in line units. This was done after rejecting the creation of a program of "individual" replacements.

http://www.historynet.com/african-americ...war-ii.htm

This is actually an interesting read about black troops in the ETO. In addition to the support units, I knew of an infantry division in Italy and various artillery, tank, tank destroyer units throughout the ETO. It now seems the need for replacements in 1945 also produced black infantry troops as well.

My daughter told me last week to hold off on going to see Fury. She wanted to take me this weekend for my birthday. She actually said it looks good. I'm thinking its the Brad Pitt or Shia LaBeouf connection. TEEHEE

Take care,

Jim vK