• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Possible to set units on HOLD at scenario start ?
10-23-2014, 01:46 AM,
RE: Possible to set units on HOLD at scenario start ?
(10-22-2014, 11:20 PM)wiggum Wrote: A very simple workaround could be the use of a new optional rule.
"Hold fire on first turn"

This rule would only affect the defending side (AI or Human) and dont allow any opportunity fire from defending side units during the first turn of the attacker. Should be quiet easy to include.

It's probably not as easy as it sounds, given that it's altering the coding. If it happens, it won't be until a new title is in the works, which is when most engine changes occur.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2014, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014, 06:52 AM by kolc.)
Ok then it looks like we need a new title...I won't complainSoap Box
10-23-2014, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014, 11:36 PM by Stejones82.)
(10-23-2014, 01:46 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: ... If it happens, it won't be until a new title is in the works, which is when most engine changes occur.

I used to live in Missouri, so my 17 votes are cast for:

- 1939-40: Poland, Norway, Low Countries and France!

My next 11 votes go for:

- British and Allied (Non-US) West Front 1944-45!

LOL

Steve

By the way, who is working on the "Fury" Expansion pack to Eagles Strike?
10-24-2014, 02:11 AM,
A squad battles game for the 1939-40 period (Poland or France) would be awesome.
10-28-2014, 10:25 AM,
Sorry for taking so long to get to this, but I have been away from the computer quite a bit lately.

There was some discussion previously about making Hold Fire an option for the scenario designer, but I don't think it was ever implemented (I could be wrong though). It would require more coding than you might think, however, as most of the games are played against the AI and as someone pointed out, the AI currently doesn't have any coding for turning Hold Fire off. Making the attacker the second player is good option. So is setting up the attacking forces far enough away that they won't attract fire on the first turn (although this can be hard to do sometimes).

As Strela mentioned, the Panzer Battles series has the same opportunity fire dialog that the Campaign Series does (maybe with a few tweaks) and hopefully it will be brought over to SB some day. This allows you set the range (none, short, medium, long) that you want a unit (or all units) to open fire against different classes of targets. It is simple, but works fairly well. As soon as the unit is spotted, which happens when it fires, the limitations on fire are removed. This takes care of the AI issue fairly well.
10-29-2014, 06:17 AM,
Thanks for the answer !
I hope with the next release they bring some new features to the engine as well as overall better artwork.