• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Panzer Battles game incoming ?
10-21-2014, 05:40 PM,
RE: New Panzer Battles game incoming ?
Finnland 1939-40
Leningrad-Novgorod Offensive 1944
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2014, 09:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014, 09:26 PM by ComradeP.)
Fall Gelb/Fall Rot with French, British, Dutch and Belgian units is unlikely I'd say due to the small size of the map. Only a handful of Dutch units travelled south, and I doubt they were larger than a company in effective size, mostly just stragglers not even of platoon size.

The Prinses Irene Brigade (Dutch) and the Brigade Piron (Belgian) fought in Normandy in 1944, so that seems a more likely candidate. However, both of them only landed in August (or rather: most of the brigades did, small units were already in France at that time) and participated in Operation Paddle.
10-21-2014, 11:27 PM,
But then again, he said nothing about Canadian forces which would make much more sense for Normandy 1944 even if he did not want to mention the US.
I laso think the Blitzkrieg 1940 fits the engine better then the fighting in Normandy with its bocage, extensive use of airforce in every battle. Also, the French had a realistic chance of defeating the germans in 1940 while in 1944 the german forces in normandy had no chance to defeat the allies.
10-22-2014, 12:30 AM,
To have Dutch and Belgians i think they have something to say in the game... an "exotic" unit to add them to the OOB... well, at this scale is more than have 4-5 counters (i think in Moscow41 and the french regiment or in Kharkov43 the Czech battalion) but i expect they have something to do in battle.

The non presence of USA for me discard Market Garden because they conect with Duch troops (resistance and regular troops) of course discard Bulge (here UK troops had minor role) and Normandy... well no canadian troops is for me a non sense if they cover battles in UK sector and have duch and belgian troops... Maybe we talk about a France 1940 battle... BUT duch troops if i dont remember bad never join with the other allies before surrender or leave country... and no french troops is another strange thing here to... battles here need some french presence maybe we can talk about some Pacific action like Sumatra invasion ... but what do belgians???

Is a strange combination of troops maybe we leave some secondary fronts out... maybe Italy??? if here serve the Brazilian expeditionary force...
10-22-2014, 01:31 AM,
The nationalities that were mentioned don't necessarily mean no other countries are included.

After checking some websites and the archives of the Dutch institute for military history, it seems there were Dutch troops at Dunkirk of at least battalion size after all.

Rear Admiral Van der Stad, commander of Dutch forces in the Zeeland province, directed about 2000 troops to the Dunkirk area.

If the next title's going to be Dunkirk, would it still be a "Panzer" Battles title? It would be the second title featuring armored forces attacking a fairly heavily defended area, albeit with no elaborate fortifications aside from coastal forts and with less than ideal terrain for tanks.

For the engine to really show what it could do, a meeting engagement battle would in my opinion be more interesting than Dunkirk 1940 or late Normandy 1944 in the area east of Caen.
10-22-2014, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2014, 03:53 AM by wiggum.)
According to Wikipedia, the Battle of Belgium 1940 had British, French, Dutch and Belgian troops involved...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_B...er_Battles

Maybe the Battle of Hannut ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hannut

Something exotic would fit much better to JTS, i mean everyone does the Normandy-Market-Garden-Bulge stuff...everyone.
10-22-2014, 04:51 AM,
As the note on Wikipedia mentions, the Dutch contributed "lightly armed infantry units" (which were mostly remnants of other formations moving south after the surrender of the Dutch forces outside of Zeeland).

There are actually not that many reasonably evenly matched operational scale battles including numerous armoured units that could be covered. There's already a Korsun title, and it wouldn't be suitable by itself I'd say as it would only be able to cover a single part of the front.

My personal preference still goes to Zhitomir.

Something like Hube's Pocket or the fighting east of Warsaw 1944 might also be interesting on this scale.
10-22-2014, 06:29 AM,
I would guess Gold,Juno and Sword...Hopefully this will win the contest for me... Big Grin

I would like to know how many projects/teams are utilizing this engine ?
David mentioned the new mapmaking tool allowing PzC maps to be altered to PzB,hopefully shortening the process?
Are there any teams modifying parts of PzC games to PzB ? ie: Using PzC Normandy '44 to make my above mentioned Gold,Juno,Sword.

Anyone working on a Modern title?

I know,I know...You could tell me but then you would have to kill me....

Anyway ,lots of good idea's guys,contact JTS,form some teams and crank out some titles....

Kuriltai
10-22-2014, 06:23 PM,
My interest in WWII is more in the Pacific now, even when you call a serie "Panzer" fix titles in have panzers is limit it a lot because one of the sides is allways the same.

Maybe from the actual PzC titles i want see the Africa titles at PzB scale... maybe one title in east that could be interesting for PzB scale is Budapest45 with the try to break the siege in city and as bonus fights in the flanks... something i prefer dont see is again a pure assault title like Kurks i like something more fluid like North Africa (Crusader maybe for me could be a good 2nd title for serie but well lets wait 3rd hehehe).

Yes, they have the Modern version AKA "Armored Battles" on the way but i think we only can see it after they patch South Front and after release the 2nd PzB title.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid393463
10-23-2014, 01:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2014, 01:17 AM by ComradeP.)
Xaver, desert titles could be very interesting with this engine. However, Kursk has a main map like PzC titles that all scenarios are on, and I'm afraid desert battles would be too big to fit into the engine.

Operation Konrad in all its stages would also be challenging to fit into the engine, at least with the Danube as the starting point.