• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Forgotten Battles Tournament - ENDED
12-11-2015, 03:18 AM,
RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament
Thanks for reporting the results and the suggestions on the scenario. I will make a note of them to have a new version that will be better balanced.

I will assign new pairings next weekend, and report on the score then too.

Cheers,
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2015, 08:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015, 08:39 PM by Crossroads.)
As for the On Familiar Ground play balance. How did you guys battle it out?

HERE's the scenario background and HERE's a little AAR I did while creating it.

Col Pajari on his original report was quite clear in making the conclusion his bold crossing of Vuoksi partially without a permission to do so prevented the front to stagnate there possibly for months, as once the Red Army would have been able to dig in at the southern shores even their small force could make any crossing event either impossible or at least very costly. 

So that is what I recreated here: flanking Finnish moves against non-aware RKKA units deploying for static defence North of river. Then, the Scenario Description gives strong hints to RKKA player to deploy south of the river asap. Or face destruction:

In the morning of August 18th Colonel Koptevski begun to realise the grim situation of his rag tag battle group, put together from various bits of surviving Red Army units in the area. Having finally received the permission to form a new defensive line south of the river, albeit with orders to still maintain a bridgehead on the northern shores, he had planned for a determined rearguard action against a Finnish attack from the North. Instead, he faced an imminent danger of encirclement before the reinforcements he knew were already on their way would reach the area. 

[Image: 93C72B8737DB4E5190D5A406ACA01AB3.jpg]

So, if both RKKA battle groups can deploy south of river relatively in tact, then the weaker left force could perhaps hold on just enough for the reinforcements can come, while the stronger right force should be able to hold the river at the crossing. 

That was my plan anyway  Propeller Hat

Curious to hear as how you guys played it out, before making any changes.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-14-2015, 08:45 PM,
I've used your map and added my angles of attack with rough times

.jpg   Game plan.jpg (Size: 496.97 KB / Downloads: 13)
phase 1 up to turn 8 or so
phase 2 turn 14-15
phase 3 where we stopped at turn 18 out of 30
12-14-2015, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM by Otto von Blotto.)
I've also added this shot of just before my last turn 18

.jpg   Game plan 18.jpg (Size: 476.13 KB / Downloads: 10)
As you can see by 2/3rds of the way though most fighting was still north of the river and the Finns where very much on for a major win.
12-15-2015, 02:40 AM,
Thanks for posting OvB. 2:1 losses on Soviets, then in addition the lost objectives. The RKKA elements can ill afford a direct confrontation at early stages, so that might (or might not) have been the key here. I probably want to play this one more time myself too, before making changes. I do agree the balance is pro Axis here but how much is the question.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-15-2015, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM by cplkrotz.)
(12-15-2015, 02:40 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Thanks for posting OvB. 2:1 losses on Soviets, then in addition the lost objectives. The RKKA elements can ill afford a direct confrontation at early stages, so that might (or might not) have been the key here. I probably want to play this one more time myself too, before making changes. I do agree the balance is pro Axis here but how much is the question.

The problem is that the objectives are not clear.

It is nearly impossible for the Soviets to fight on "three fronts." They do not have the resources to fight on those fronts and hold a bridgehead.

The second time we played this was apparent as the Finns simply were able to get a jump by taking advantage of the weak Soviet border guards who do not stand a chance unless the enemy is in the dark to the Russian dispositions.

The Soviets strategy is clearly to fight a withdrawal. However, to simply withdraw leaves the initiative to the Finns who can advance across the river without even having been worn down. The Soviets have to make a stand in order to disrupt the Finns. Yet, at the same time this is the problem, because to do so means being overrun later on.
12-16-2015, 05:41 PM,
It is a tough situation for RKKA for sure.

Would you be happy to play this one more time, now as Finns against me as Soviets? All rules on par AF and VV, I recall.

I would need to play this one more time myself before making changes.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-03-2016, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM by Crossroads.)
Happy New Year 2016 Wine

Here is the current status. As reported On Familiar Ground is lopsided, so I will exclude it from further plays until I've had a chance to play a game of it myself as Soviets. Any volunteers to play the Finnish side?

[Image: forgottenbattles_round6.png]

I believe Ed, Ivan the Big and Otto von Blotto have at least asked for new assignments. I am not sure who's in anymore, and the less players we have it becomes a bit difficult to assign new pairings in a smooth manner. 

So if I can ask for show of hands one more time, I will next designate the players for next round: Svir Power Station. It had a few rounds at the H2H forum, but just lacked the players to have it pass through. Another major river crossing is in the cards. Again, as of round 6, Soviets are Allied, while previously they were Axis, so Team B with Allied Soviets and Team A with Axis Finns. 

Here's the roster we started with those marked with red font I know have opted out for now:

[Image: forgottenbattles_roster.png]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-03-2016, 11:41 PM,
Hey Battle Kat,

Ivan the Big here ready for my next assignment!
Cheers!
01-07-2016, 12:04 AM,
Hi Petri,

Yes, ready to go.

Regards
OvB