• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Are bunkers in PzB too difficult to bust?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
18.18%
2 18.18%
No
81.82%
9 81.82%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

From the Front - Bunker Assault!
09-11-2014, 05:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 05:01 AM by Dog Soldier.)
RE: From the Front - Bunker Assault!
But who would be the narrator?

A. Morgan Freeman
B. Werner Herzog
C. Patrick Stewart
D. David Riley (Soviet Storm)
E. Siri

Big Laugh

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 10:01 AM,
(09-11-2014, 05:00 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: But who would be the narrator?

A. Morgan Freeman
B. Werner Herzog
C. Patrick Stewart
D. David Riley (Soviet Storm)
E. Siri

Big Laugh

Dog Soldier

I say this guy Jester
https://www.theblitz.club/profile/compas...u-5627.htm

Since he won't play SB or PB games with me anymore he must have a ton of spare time now Scared3

ROTFLMAO
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
09-27-2014, 11:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014, 11:44 PM by gabeeg.)
That guy narrate!? ...I heard he was a mod now at some war fetish site, and trying to form a new baseball league in the Great Lakes...what an oddball! :)

I have admittedly been pretty lukewarm on PzB, but have found this thread has reignited my desire to delve into it (thanks!). I think part of my confusion was indeed trying to apply PzC and SB tactics and expecting similar results (as well as not paying more careful attention to the manual and guides). Now I need to find another PBEM game...oh Ed...?
09-17-2016, 12:20 AM,
(09-06-2014, 10:26 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: From the Front is a discussion of Tactics and mechanics of the Panzer Battles Game series.

This issue will be discussing the bunker busting in PzB Battles of Kursk - Southern Front.

Panzer Battles
Battles of Kursk - Southern Front

From the Front – Bunker Busting
Breaking though a defense in depth with a lot of bunkers stuffed full of angry Soviets is a task that every German player of Panzer Battles - Battles of Kursk - Southern Front needs to master.

There were two historical approaches.

The German 48th Panzer Korps which was on the left flank of the main assault at Kursk by the 2nd SS Panzer Korps, led with their armor first followed by the infantry.  The 2nd SS Panzer Korps led with the infantry supported by Tigers, assault guns and Marders.  Both of these Korps broke through the first defense lines of the Soviets.  The difference was how long it took and the cost in men and material to the attacking Germans.

For our tutorial here we will look at the 2nd SS Panzer Korps method.

Thank you to Strela for conducting the assault on the Soviet fortified line as an example in this tutorial.  Strela has added his insights to this tutorial that I have written up.

The brief explanation of the method is as follows;
  • Where available, make use of recon units using recon spotting or air recon to identify enemy positions and define how much force is holding the bunkers targeted for the break through.
  • Move engineers (platoon stacks only) forward to clear minefields and breach the antitank ditch. Don't forget that infantry do not need to breach the anti-tank ditch to cross.  (Use the ‘on foot’ command)  Breaching the anti-tank ditch is necessary for follow on vehicles, motorized or mounted infantry and guns to cross it.
  • Move your armored support adjacent to the minefields (usually two hexes away from the target fortification) and begin to direct fire the target. There is an increased chance of disrupting units (doubled) in bunkers/pillboxes from ranged hard attack weapons in direct fire mode.  This also applies to indirect artillery fire.  These types of fire may look ineffective but it will ultimately help to get the magic disrupt.  In subsequent turns used air strikes with good hard attack values to assist in disrupting the bunker defenders.  Concentrate this fire on a few bunkers at the point of attack.  Resist the temptation to spread your fire power over too many targets.  This only dissipates the attack and allows the defenders time to reinforce and reorganize.
  • Hold your assault infantry back in platoon stacks to reduce hex density.  Only advance them adjacent to the target bunker once the minefield is cleared and preferably the defender is disrupted. You can advance all three platoons in at that point and combine into a company for the final assault. Walking around in company or greater stacks when visible to the enemy is asking to be shelled.
  • Use smoke. The enemy can see IN to a smoke hex but not THROUGH a smoke hex.  Isolate your attacking units from vision of enemy units that can oversight the target area.
  • Consider isolating a bunker by advancing either side of it to reduce the defenders morale level and speed up disruption. Once disrupted, ensure there is a retreat path for the defenders before the hex is assaulted. If a retreat path is not available, the defenders will usually hold on in the fortifications longer than if they were in the open.
  • Watch your hex density at all times to reduce casualties.

Next up.... Scenes from a recent HTH PBEM Team Game
Dog Soldier
Just found this, on kolc's recommendation. It's super stuff, Dog Soldier. Many thanks. 

Peter